Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheated my bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mystreybug65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

So I recently overheated my bug. Going down hwy 80 mph. Passing people like they couldn’t speed up and leave me in the dust. All the sudden started losing power. By the time I got to the ramp I was struggling to go 30 mph. Pulled off side and car died right there. Well not totally. While waiting on a tow truck AAA apparently called from two states over, instead of four miles down the road, the bug cooled down. After about and hour and some change I tried once start her up and bam she fired up and got me home. Now whenever I fire her up, she doesn’t want to keep running, I have to continuously feather the gas or she dies when setting still. Once I get going I don’t have to feather the gas until I come to a stop again. So my question is where would you guys start trouble shooting to find out what’s screwed up.
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

How do you know it was overheated?

Start with a full tune up:
Adjust valves
Dwell and timing
Adjust the carb

After that I would look at the plugs and check compression.
205T (Bill)
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

Could be fuel or electrical problem.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

doubt it's ignition, sounds a lot like a fuel pump not keeping up or possibly some fod in the main jet
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

Maybe it’s an injector not firing Laughing what kind of bug is this? How is the engine set up?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

I had similar symptoms one trip and found this when I took the lid off

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

Are you running a vacuum distributor? If so your canister could be toast.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
mystreybug65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

It is a stock 1600 do with mechanical distributor. I did assume it was overheated mainly because the whole episode did not involve “bad” noises. I also could not touch my dipstick because it was so hot. And finally it started up again after about an hour. I have people tell me that it could be a carb problem or a distributor problem. Is it safe to assume it’s not a valve since it’s not smoking and still no bad/metallic noises. Thanks for all the feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

Top to bottom tune-up would be my next step.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

80 mph in a stock 1600, may have overheated especially since it stalled out then started once cooled.
I've heard of fuel pump rods sticking cuz the piece swells up, also I had a cheap distributor that caused timing issues and made the car run hot.
Like it was said start with the basics
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

One very sure way to tell of a car has been overheated? When it cools down check the valve adjustment, really bad overheating will make the valves tight. If you see that go ahead and remove the rocker arms and check head torque specs. Severe overheat will loosen the nuts or even pull a stud on the 10mm studs without inserts. I overheated one so bad it had no compression and just windmilled when cranking.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

Wondering how this situation was resolved. What was the fix?
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

That would be nice to hear what fixed it . It might help someone else.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheated my bug Reply with quote

Ya I saw this and forgot I replied!

What did you find?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: