Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Weird VIN Cry For Help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Hey Samba Gang, sorry for another VIN post. I promise I've combed through a TON of posts and guidelines on VIN, MCODE, etc. and haven't found my answer. Help here would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my mystery. Trying to settle on a price and arrange delivery on a bus I'm interested in buying. Seller is not an experienced VW owner so he's having trouble finding the VIN or MCODE plate on the vehicle. Owner is willing to drive it 90 minutes to my place for final purchase but we'd like to be sure it will go through before he drives all this way. I don't want to buy it if there are too many weird identification issues.

What I know:
-Advertised as 1974
-Currently Titled and Registered in California
-CA title Vehicle History box is empty (not marked as salvage, non-usa, etc)
-Vehicle ID Number on Title is 21H0045006
-Looks like a late model bay (high turn signals in front, large signals in back)
-Left hand drive
-Panel Van with no side windows, rear hatch does have a window
-Engine replaced, looks like pre-72 engine.
-No decklid access hatch to engine
-Bus has been repainted a few times and he cannot find the door jamb sticker
-Bulkhead (not a walkthrough) and he cannot find the MCODE plate anywhere on the wall behind either seat or on back of the wall.

I want to be sure the VIN on the title actually ties to the bus and it doesn't have a weird import (or stolen!) history.

Any thoughts or opinions on if 21H0045006 is a
-Real legit VIN?
-German or Brazillian?
-Too suspicious to purchase if we can't find anything on the van itself for identification?

Last edited by averyo on Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

vin for sure is on dash drivers side, looking thru glass. not sure if mplate is behind the seat or under the dash on the air vent on a 74. T-cash has a great write up somewhere on M plate locations...

edit- bam!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7551789#7551789
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
vin for sure is on dash drivers side, looking thru glass

Thanks! I did review that URL, very helpful.

Seller says he cannot see it on the dash through the glass - first place I had him look Smile
Also says he cannot find the MCODE plate behind the seats. I'll have him look behind the radio in case this isn't really a 1974.

For this year I *think* chasis VIN is in engine compartment on the right floor area, anyone know if that is correct?
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Thought of one more clue, I'll add to original post:
-No engine access from decklid, I thought '74 had that.
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Quick update, seller just found it stamped in the engine compartment. Number matches the registration and title so I'm good there. Now I'm wondering if it is a weird import or something. I want to be sure that is cool so I don't have issues with CA title in the future.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Probably an import, but with that VIN alone I know of no way to establish a model year. I would be leery of purchasing it for use in a state with strict environmental laws like California.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Probably an import, but with that VIN alone I know of no way to establish a model year. I would be leery of purchasing it for use in a state with strict environmental laws like California.

thinking about this, does it have a year on the emmisions sticker on the inside decklid? The owner have it smogged previously?
also, what about a sticker on the drivers side doorjamb for build date?
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
thinking about this, does it have a year on the emmisions sticker on the inside decklid? The owner have it smogged previously?
also, what about a sticker on the drivers side doorjamb for build date?

Inside the decklid, good suggestion! Hadn't thought of that. thanks!

No previous records in online BAR for smogging for that chassis number and since it is 1974 the previous 2 owners didn't have it smogged so no paper records that stayed with the bus. Has been registered in CA proven for a year, and if true previous 3 owners for much longer (verbal second hand).

Driver's doorjamb sticker painted over or removed.

I'm going to take the gamble and see it in person and likely get it now that the chassis number matches a valid CA title and reg. Got the price down to where I think its worth it. My hope is no trouble with registration and the year on the title will prevent me from having to smog it.

I'm guessing the 21H at the start of the chassis number has something to do with the panel van model, by all other online research it should be 214.

Cross your fingers this doesn't end up as an expensive brick in my driveway.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

averyo wrote:
I'm going to take the gamble and see it in person

Bring your camera, a few pics can usually clear up all sprts of questions.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

averyo wrote:
Thought of one more clue, I'll add to original post:
-No engine access from decklid, I thought '74 had that.

Engine access above the engine bay began in 73...

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

with the older motor and no interior engine hatch, may be a older bus with a nose reskin. what style bumpers front and rear? early or late ? 68-72 early and 73-79 late roundish vs squareish. early fronts wraparound.
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
with the older motor and no interior engine hatch, may be a older bus with a nose reskin. what style bumpers front and rear? early or late ? 68-72 early and 73-79 late roundish vs squareish. early fronts wraparound.

Late bumpers, squarish. All visual signs point to legit late style from birth. Verbal history notes it lived in San Diego for a long time.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

If you and the seller are holding a valid California title and registration meet at the DMV tomorrow morning and have them calculate the transfer to be sure there aren't $4000 in back fees due on it. I did that with the seller on mine and low and behold she owed $1400 on the bus to the state, and I was paying her $1200. It would have cost me $2600 for that bus instead of $1200. She knew it because she had the paperwork on some of those items when we met. They allowed her to pay $600 of the $1400 because she was a single mother who pleased hardship, and waived $800 so I got the bus for $1200 like agreed but she only walked away with $600 in her pocket.

The no decklid sounds weird. There was a 1974 panel van up here for sale for while we looked at while buying some other parts which was really a 1972 the nose, vin and some other parts had been replaced on. The seller who did the work told me that. I don't have any idea where it ended up or who he sold it to.
caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

As far as the VIN is concerned, could the "4" been mistaken for an"H"? Pretty close looking when stamped in metal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
If you and the seller are holding a valid California title and registration meet at the DMV tomorrow morning and have them calculate the transfer to be sure there aren't $4000 in back fees due on it.

That's a very good idea, I'll find out!

SGKent wrote:
The no decklid sounds weird. There was a 1974 panel van up here for sale for while we looked at while buying some other parts which was really a 1972 the nose, vin and some other parts had been replaced on. The seller who did the work told me that. I don't have any idea where it ended up or who he sold it to.

Maybe this is it! Could be a 72 re-nosed, that would make sense. Weirdly though it is titled as a 74 with matching chassis. The mounts for the rear bumper will probably be a clue, I'll check those out.

At this point I'm just hoping DMV clears it and then I don't care much, should be a cool project.
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips folks, this was helpful.
Since the seller and I found the chassis stamp in the engine compartment and that matches the current reg and title I'm going for it. Wish me luck!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

VW built all kinds of odd variants over the years, particularly for the third world market. They were known for using up extra parts from earlier years and creating "blended" rig as the first new vehicles of a model year were built. Maybe yours was built for the Canadian market? At least it has a VIN, I have seen Mexican buses that had no numbers at all.

Servicemen and diplomats brought rigs home from around the world as well.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

caffeinebean wrote:
As far as the VIN is concerned, could the "4" been mistaken for an"H"? Pretty close looking when stamped in metal.

I was wondering that, too.

The "21" indicates that it is a panel van.

If the "H" is actually a "4" that would be consistent with the 1974 model year, but really only if the following digit were a "2".

As for the missing VIN on the dash, that was a US spec thing, so it means that this was originally from somewhere else.

But, if it is currently titled and registered in California, I would just go along with it and have the title transferred and not ask a lot of questions of the DMV.

And IIRC for 1974 there is no smog checking needed.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Double checked the H, definitely an H and not a 4. Clearly stamped in the engine bay.

Very Happy Very Happy DMV SUCCESS! No drama title transfer and registration. Chassis number is legit and no back fees due. Very Happy Very Happy

The engine and no deck lid engine access definitely point to some kind of variant but it must have been in California so long it doesn’t matter.

I’ll post some photos next weekend for folks interested in the mystery.
caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Glad to hear it went smoothly with DMV. I have used AAA Registration service on a"special" vehicle before and that went smoothly as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: