Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
It has been forever since I worked on a FI Type 1, but I THINK the ECU/FI grounds are at a male connection on the alternator. I want to say it is at the topside but I really can't remember right off.

They sure are. Three white wires, utilizing a screw, screwed into the alternator body.

You need to check those ground wires.

If that is okay, you will need to start checking the wires from the ecu to the different sensors. Something is foul.

Just to be certain. Did you check your air boot for holes? You need to take it off and gently flex it to find them.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

I removed the air cleaner and air flow sensor but forgot to check the air boot for leaks but will this afternoon. I removed and sanded the ground connections, connectors and screw to get a good contact. Here are some photos. I remove the throttle valve switch connector to see the condition of the pins. Five male and 4 Female connectors?

One more thing I might have overlooked is the charcoal canister vacuum hoses. Not too sure if hooked up correctly but I will have to look it up in the bentley.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you mentioned 3 wires, there are two groups of 2 ground wires(4 total)

Throttle valve switch has 5 male connectors and 4 female??

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Yep, only 4.

How does it run, after cleaning up the grounds? If it will not run on its own....can you keep it running by spraying carb cleaner into the snorkel? I want to reduce the large number of variables from the multiple possibilities. Let’s get it down to one system, for sure.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
can you keep it running by spraying carb cleaner into the snorkel? I want to reduce the large number of variables from the multiple possibilities. Let’s get it down to one system, for sure.

Ok Jimbo, I have been busy vacationing and getting other honey-do-list projects. I got around to doing what you said. It does indeed continue to run using the carb cleaner. Here is a link to a video.

https://sipeadelic.wixsite.com/cabby-mk1/1976-vw-super-beetle-video
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

mtsipe wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
can you keep it running by spraying carb cleaner into the snorkel? I want to reduce the large number of variables from the multiple possibilities. Let’s get it down to one system, for sure.

Ok Jimbo, I have been busy vacationing and getting other honey-do-list projects. I got around to doing what you said. It does indeed continue to run using the carb cleaner. Here is a link to a video.

That’s awesome! So, now we know it can run! We know that spark is good, so no need in going after that, too much, other than signal.

So, it is a lack of fuel or too much air.

Really thinking that signal wire may be the issue, or you have a massive hole or multiple holes in the intake manifold. You need to perform a smoke test on the intake. Know anyone who smokes, and would be willing to blow that smoke into your intake manifold?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

I think it's a vacuum leak. The intake system needs to be 100% sealed up with no vacuum leaks in order to run properly.

I'd recommend removing the air filter, the S boot and the air flow meter and the long hose that goes from the S boot down to the Aux Air Regulator. (AAR)

Clean up and inspect the S boot, make sure the long hose to the AAR is sealing well with the metal coupling to the S boot, and that it's not kinked or broken.

When checking the S boot, bend it at it's joints and look for cracks and splits; I'd be surprised if there aren't any.
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

I disconnected the S boot, attached a rubber glove and hose to it. I then filled a large bag with thick smoke using a volcano vaporizer. I connected the hose and the bag then pressed the bag.

In the picture below, smoke was bellowing out the two locations the arrows are pointing at.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Check the engine side of the system. The air filter housing can leak all it wants, as well as the preheat.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Ok, so you are saying to smoke it through where the arrow is pointing?

Also Open or closed throttle or both?

PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Hello,

Sorry to barge in but.....may want to check out the condition of the Aux Air Valve elbow rubber. Noticed that there may not be clamps on the ends. Those seem to crack at the ends.

Jeff
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Also, noticed that the EGR unit has been removed. Can you show how that was plated off?

Thanks
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Not my handy work. I will smoke the other side and report back

PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Thanks. The plate looks pretty tight. Don't think the cracks on the Aux Air Regulator (not AA Valve like I mis-named) would let in enough air to prevent running, but would probably make idle speed hunt and hard to tune. Recommend hose clamps on the ends, fuel injection ones if can find that big.

Check the hose from the plenum side of that curved hose that goes vertical to the valve (forgot name) mounted to the hinge bracket as well. If leaks anywhere there, will draw straight into plenum.

I took some pics of my 76 FI with some leaky culprits I found.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GgAR1ggSaFCcUXk48

I don't think you have a FI distributor, but don't know if it matters. FI distributor have a bulkier vacuum can. Somebody watching should be able to tell us.

From experience, a leak from the fittings of the large hose between the base of the intake accordion elbow and air cleaner will seriously cramp the style.

Pic of temp sensor 2 also included. I had devil of time once when I accendenly unplugged it while rooting around the back of the shroud. Would not start. Acutally would start, then die. Thought I had air leak. Would only barely idle if I disconnected the fuel pump (?). With out sensor connected the ECU went to full super rich mode. Flooding the engine.

Good luck
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

I put new intake manifold boots/hoses on. I also found this part which worked perfect for the Auxiliary Air Valve hose.

I smoked it again for leaks and there were no visible leaks.

I proceeded with a test from a VW workshop manual

And once I ran the tests, it said to replace the double relay. So I pulled the relay and found a little bit of corrosion which I don't doubt it being internal as well. I sourced another one and will go from there.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

You can bypass the double relay. It takes 2 - triple ended pigtail. One of the double one goes into the 88z hole and the other two go into 88a, 88b. The other one bridges between 88y to 88c and 88d. That bypasses the relays controls. Be sure to only bridge them when you are going to run the motor. Remove immediately after you turn the motor off.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
d2305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 79, and it ran after I replaced the fuel pump and all the rotten fuel lines. I know my underside of my bug quite well after spending several hours under it.
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

So after installing the double relay and connecting the other components back up, I had my wife turn the key because I am superstitious like that.....

It fired up and is now running on it own!! It was idling really high, so I adjusted the throttle. It was idling good until I hit the pedal. When releasing the pedal, the throttle was sticking and had to shut it off.

Now I think I shot myself in the foot by putting which I thought was the right doghouse cooling shroud but it turned out to be for a carbureted engine. I had to re-rout the throttle cable tube channel to a different location. At the time I didn't know any better. I hope I can make it work and not have to drop this engine out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

mtsipe wrote:
I hope I can make it work and not have to drop this engine out.

Careful you don't bore a hole through the oil cooler Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
mtsipe wrote:
I hope I can make it work and not have to drop this engine out.

Careful you don't bore a hole through the oil cooler Wink

Exactly what I was thinking!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

The hole I made originally was before assembly. I’m thinking it might be a too sharp or shallow of an angle and it catches
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: