Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Weird VIN Cry For Help
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

I'll take some better photos this weekend but here is detail on the rear decklid. No engine access, no spare tire cutout, just a small round access panel for the gas tank sending unit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

the spare tire blank is very odd. cool stuff. that fuel sender cover looks like it may be vw dealer added.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

It's a bench-seat model. Does the spare tire stow under the front seats like a truck? That would mean there's no reason to have a spare cutout in the rear.

Another indicator on year is the gas cap. The flap went away and was replaced by the external cap in 1974.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

The picture inicates that it could be a much later model. You can see a partial embossment for the '73 and later engine lid and then the cutout for the '79 fuel sender access hole. Since Transporter production moved to Mexico circa 1980 I am going to guess that you have a 1980 or later Mexican Transporter.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

I'm inclined to think this is a European spec 1974 panel - maybe France. I am willing to bet that the deletion of the spare tire hole and engine access were a spec on certain European panel models, plus the lack of windshield VIN.

It points to being pretty stock on all items for a 1974 if the European specs had those different options. It's pretty obvious that the stamping shows the option for both engine access lid and spare tire hole, but for a panel van, that may not have made sense if intended to have shelves and cargo loaded there.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
I'm inclined to think this is a European spec 1974 panel - maybe France. I am willing to bet that the deletion of the spare tire hole and engine access were a spec on certain European panel models, plus the lack of windshield VIN.

It points to being pretty stock on all items for a 1974 if the European specs had those different options. It's pretty obvious that the stamping shows the option for both engine access lid and spare tire hole, but for a panel van, that may not have made sense if intended to have shelves and cargo loaded there.

I will agree that the sender access may have been added. For one it is located on the centerline of the body and not offset to the left side as the sender is, and second as you mention it sticks up and would interfere with loading, VW would have surely recessed it a bit.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

My 71 also has a flat loading deck with no recess for the spare. It has the full partition in front and the spare is designed to sit under the front center seat.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
My 71 also has a flat loading deck with no recess for the spare. It has the full partition in front and the spare is designed to sit under the front center seat.

Same for the 9-seat '73 I had. Though it did have the engine access hatch.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

This is all great info folks, thanks so much!

I had a 72 double door years ago that had a walkthrough and spare tire cutout in the rear decklid, so this one surprised me a bit. It does have a bench front seat and likely room for a spare tire.

I'll share more photos this weekend. Lots of the stock features have been messed up from some previous owners trying to make it into a party van. I'm trying to save this one from the Hall of Shame!

A question from an earlier post:
-Gas cap is exposed and flush like late 70s models, no flap.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Weird VIN Cry For Help Reply with quote

US spec '74 models had the later style gas filler. The filler pipe itself changed again a bit later, maybe midyear in '75 or at least with the '76 models.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: