Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Timwhy wrote:
westyventures wrote:
Probably if you let it try multiple times it would eventually display a 2-flash fault code.

Karl is there any chance that by doing this it could hurt the electronics of the unit? I don't want
to take any chances just to see if I get the two flashes when it clearly ignites from the added
tank.

No, it is normal operation for it to try 3-4 times to do an operation before finally displaying the fault code in the circuitry from 2/2010-on.

Thanks Karl!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, two blinks! Thanks again Karl!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the very beginning (or almost the very beginning -- I can't remember how it sounded the first few days we used it), our Propex has always produced a kind of burbling sound while burning. As if it were burning in fits and starts rather than burning a steady stream of propane consistently. Anybody else have this problem?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typhon2222 wrote:
From the very beginning (or almost the very beginning -- I can't remember how it sounded the first few days we used it), our Propex has always produced a kind of burbling sound while burning. As if it were burning in fits and starts rather than burning a steady stream of propane consistently. Anybody else have this problem?

That is just the reverberation in the exhaust - the burn will still be consistent. Depending on the age, it could be more or less 'smooth' sounding as they did make some minor improvements lately. Also worth checking the gas pressure, it should be 11" w.c. with one appliance operating.

Karl
www.propexusa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Typhon2222 wrote:

That is just the reverberation in the exhaust - the burn will still be consistent. Depending on the age, it could be more or less 'smooth' sounding as they did make some minor improvements lately. Also worth checking the gas pressure, it should be 11" w.c. with one appliance operating.

Karl
www.propexusa.com

Thanks Karl. That's good to know.

We just got our van's Propex cleared by the German inspectors for use in Germany. Required replacing all the copper pipes (not sure with what, but they're all a steel-colored metal now) to meet German specs.

Hardly necessary camping in Europe, where almost every camp site provides electrical hook-ups. Normally we just bring along a portable electric space-heater to keep the inside toasty. Since European space heaters typically pull 2000 watts on high (rather than the 1500-watt max common for US space heaters), that allows for some serious winter camping. But occasionally we've found ourselves overnighting on the road, where the Propex will be handy.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment about Propex heaters.

I purchased a HS2800 a year ago.
My son just installed his HS2211 about 6 months ago.

His 2211 has been running in Breckenridge CO. for the past winter. His Syncro has seen multiple subzero° nights and has preformed flawlessly. It has run everyday since October of 2013.

I have had no issues with my 2800. I love cold weather camping when you can get inside and have it toasty warm and sleep comfortably without the worry of some gas heaters. Clean reliable heat.

Both were installed as per the instructions and no vent pipes were cut. I understand these are machines and some machines break down. But ours have been flawless.

Great product and wonderful heat when you really need it! Laughing

Thanks Westy Ventures!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

Getting ready to take off for a cold weekend, tested propex (which I havent used in at least a year) and got the "5 flashes." Samba to the rescue! Compressed air in inlet did the trick!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

With ALL HEATERS there is maintenece just like everything else. YOU MUST FIRE THEM ALL UP ONCE A MONTH to keep them going. Letting them sit is asking for problems!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
With ALL HEATERS there is maintenece just like everything else. YOU MUST FIRE THEM ALL UP ONCE A MONTH to keep them going. Letting them sit is asking for problems!

Dang! Time to go out and run mine for a while.... Shocked Surprised

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
newfisher wrote:

Dang! Time to go out and run mine for a while.... Shocked Surprised

It's January, you live in MD, and you haven't fired up your heater?!?! Only excuse is if you're currently in Mexico! Laughing
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

I just read part of the thread and saw it mentioned that there is soot in the exhaust.
These things run on clean burning propane...where is the soot coming from?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

help! my propex HS2000 is experiencing 5 blinking lights, I've tried blowing out the exhaust, vacuuming the exhaust, cleaning the fan (gently), cleaning the sensor (gently). It has a new board (2 years or so) that was installed by Karl. Tried all the troubleshooting suggestions i could find but still no heat - just 5 lights. ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!

westyventures wrote:
Typhon2222 wrote:

Karl
www.propexusa.com

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

After getting the 5 blinking code, I decided to change out the airflow sensor and see what happens. Van Cafe supplied the Omron sensor and I spent a huge amount of time wrestling the unit out from the high heat silicone in the holes in the floor of the van under the fridge. After that pain in the ass, I figured I'd help out the next person with some photos, because I'm visual and those instructions were pretty vague.

Step 1 is to remove the screws from the housing. Then you need to get a long and very thin but sturdy knife to cut the silicone seals from between the housing and the base of the unit. This was surprisingly difficult as well. Maybe silicone is my nemesis.

If you think about where the silicone is on the right side of this photo and think about how you can only reach that from the back of the unit (the left side) you'll get a sense of how long that knife blade needs to be. I got my propex with the van from the PO and the warranty seals on the bottom were already broken, it also said "heat tested" and a date on the bottom in sharpie, so this may have been an a previous maintenance reseal on of the silicone, so your results may vary.

Now to find the sensor. The orange white and green wires run from the circuit board to the sensor, and I had read about the black and white alternating pie pieces on the spinning wheel, so I knew what I was looking for, but here it is if you don't

Remove the two screws and the fan, wheel, and green board all come out. After looking closely, its filthy. Not surprising, as the whole unit is filthy inside. Problem identified.

to get the wires out of the grommet, I had to cut the top of it. Knowing I was going to silicone it back into place, I wasn't worried about it. Just left the cut facing up, so no chance for wires inside to find a metal edge to rub on. They will be facing the inside of the case on top which is a smooth surface, but will also have silicone in between.

Don't forget to take the tape off the sensor. This is so it doesn't fall off during transit (it eventually will be secured by the screw when you screw it into the heater)

This is it once the tape is off. I don't regret doing this over a box as I dropped the screw, washer, and sensor at least once each trying to maneuver it into place.

The base of the sensor is wider than the opening and there is a huge pipe you need to work it around so the opening on the base sits over the air inlet I had to start it in 90 degrees to where it would eventually sit to get it past the flanges on the outside of the case. fun times turning the new pieces upside down when you're trying to hold a tiny screw, washer and sensor to a board as you wiggle it around.

A micro screwdriver that is magnetic would have been a lifesaver here. Tight fit to get past the things sticking off the board so you can actually screw the new sensor down to the base using the provided shorter screw.

This is what it looks like after a lot of swearing

There is only one screw provided, and I didn't want to fight any more silicone, so I reused one of the older long screws to keep it from rotating. the screw is too long to screw the base down firmly on the left side, but I figured that wasn't that big of a deal given they only think you need one screw in the first place.

The best part of this is I've heard that the wires are sometimes in a different order, so they send the unit without the harness attached, so you can slide the pins in in the correct order for your unit. *High five* whoever thought about sending it that way. Once you have the pins in the harness in the right sequence you just swap the old for new

After adding all the silicone I had on hand to make it really difficult for myself the next time I have to take this apart, I put all the screws back in the cover and wrestled it back into place.

Upside is I got to replace my noisy metal intake pipe for the "paper" one from Van Cafe. It is much quieter now. Also cleaned up how the pipes are run under the van. I never took a photo of that because it started to rain right when I finished putting the last screws into the clamps holding them to the frame.

Works like new now. Very satisfied, as before I would always be optimistic while it was starting up. If you've used one of these, you know it takes a bit before it tells you there is an error. I enjoy hearing it light and start blowing hot air more now than I did when it was working when I originally got the van. Good times.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

That circuit board manufacturing dates back to bell bottom era. Maybe before. Put some friggin money back into your product , please
raspyni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:

Works like new now. Very satisfied, as before I would always be optimistic while it was starting up. If you've used one of these, you know it takes a bit before it tells you there is an error. I enjoy hearing it light and start blowing hot air more now than I did when it was working when I originally got the van. Good times.

Beautiful post... thank you. I am going to check my black/white sensor tomorrow and will probably end up doing this upgrade. And thanks to your post, my brain has already seen it happen.

Barry
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

I have this problem with the black and white sensor. Possibly stems from the fact that there is no air filter anywhere on the heater, kind of amazing when you think about it. One day I'll do the upgrade but the Propex is so deeply lodged in there I don't look forward to it.

My workaround has been to mount the combustion air intake so it points outside the van on the top of the passenger side propane tank. When I get the blinkies, I blow into the air intake and voila, it works. Requires a bit of humility, perhaps not a bad thing. If you don't have a passenger propane tank, mount the air intake just somewhere you can get to it without climbing under the van.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex: Blinking 5 Times (Are they Lemons?) Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
I have this problem with the black and white sensor. Possibly stems from the fact that there is no air filter anywhere on the heater, kind of amazing when you think about it. One day I'll do the upgrade but the Propex is so deeply lodged in there I don't look forward to it.

My workaround has been to mount the combustion air intake so it points outside the van on the top of the passenger side propane tank. When I get the blinkies, I blow into the air intake and voila, it works. Requires a bit of humility, perhaps not a bad thing. If you don't have a passenger propane tank, mount the air intake just somewhere you can get to it without climbing under the van.

A filter has very little to do with it. The little freewheeling fans had a higher failure rate in the last years of using them, and that's the primary reason they went to the Omron sensor. You can use compressed air blown through the intake, a couple short blasts at <60 psi, that will dislodge any dirt and spin the fan up. If it continues the only way is installing the Omron sensor kit.
The air intake must always point down if you want to avoid dirt and moisture from settling inside it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: