Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV grease choice???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

I'm not sure why I'm posting this now, I've already pulled the trigger!
I was installing my front diff yesterday and knocked my CV and two bearings hit the floor. So, I thought well I better service these while the van is down. Last night led to a few hours of reading grease preferences!

The majority rules is Moly....but so many types! I almost pulled the trigger on Neo Synthetics CCV but once I learned that one tub will do two joints the price was way out of budget. Lots of folks were using swepco 101 capped with DelRay antisieze CV grease. This seemed a bit daunting and I learned of swepco 164, this is swepcos' version of the DelRay/Swepco blend

This was an easier bill to pay, not as cheap as flaps but certainly not breaking the bank either!
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

My local VW mechanic uses LiquiMoly.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

Check out the Neo brand that T3 is offering. It has a real nice consistency when your working with it but I have no long term opinion yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

https://www.testfacts.com/12-best-wheel-bearing-greases/

The write up on #10, Royal Purple, looks interesting.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

Valvoline VV633 Moly Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

And I just use the stock VW packs of CV moly grease....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

Lots of threads on this topic. I would suggest using the search feature first, then based on that, narrow the scope to 2 or 3 greases for the purpose of discussion.

From my experience on this board, the top 2 choices seem to be Redline CV2 and your basic moly type that is included in many CV kits. The NEO grease from T3 is new to the scene and, due to its cost, there isn't much feedback on performance or longevity (though the cost implies it should be stellar).

Last edited by Syncronoid on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

If you want to save time, just go to Colin's website itinerant air cooled and see what he uses on the 1000s of Bussess he sservicess around North America, rather than a thousand Idiopions on the webs (like mine)
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

I'm with Dave - that's the grease the vans came with and the OEM CVs last forever...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

whatever's leftover from the last time I did it! Very Happy

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

Redline is very well known in the racing and 4x4 builders world. They make the best oils overall next to Amsoil. All their stuff is USA made and exceeds all standards by far. Their gear oil is so good you can even feel a difference in shifting in most cases. I've used their CV2 grease for a long time and can't imagine why anyone would bother with anything else, other than convenience. I've even called their engineers before and they will personally investigate application questions and cross-references for you when you have a spec that either doesn't exist anymore or you can't find a solution to. Great company.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

I didn't see any methodology on that best CV grease article.

I've heard good things about CAT, Neo, SynPower, and others. I use Swepco (a boutique grease - believe it or not).

Any good grease that is rated for this use should be fine.

No grease will make up for crummy aftermarket components Exclamation
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

jocoman wrote:
Valvoline VV633 Moly Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease

I have been using Valvoline for many many years with great success. Unless one is running their axles at extreme angles I think it is fine.

Syncronoid wrote:
and your basic moly type that is included in many CV kits

The packs that come with CV joints are the one grease I will not use, as their grease seems to be designed overly thick to keep the grease from leaking from the joint, this being for visual purposes and not functional purposes. This results in a grease that tends to cake up and leave the joint dry of grease. There may be some packs that are better than others so this may not apply to all the ones out there.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

The packs that come with CV joints are the one grease I will not use, as their grease seems to be designed overly thick to keep the grease from leaking from the joint, this being for visual purposes and not functional purposes. This results in a grease that tends to cake up and leave the joint dry of grease. There may be some packs that are better than others so this may not apply to all the ones out there.

Interesting, I have not run across that yet... yet.... MMMV.

The Western Syncro build
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

Use the grease in the little bag that comes with the joint.

Assemble the van & drive while continuing your research.
After 5-10,000 miles, clean out the "break-in grease" and replace it with the good stuff.

Good stuff being a "moly CV grease” that's clean.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

The stuff in the bag is moly CV grease too.

The Western Syncro build
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

I've always used what was supplied. A bag of moly blend i assume; who supplies VW and GKN/Loebro?

I've used Valvoline synthetic with moly. I opted for the swepco after reading race, rail and UTV forums. These three groups of motor heads are hard on CVs. The synblend showed signs of thinning and migration. Redline recently has been shown signs of thinning as well.

After much reading, I opted for the swepco; many having great success and the price was affordable. The Next Synthetic was also well regarded. I will be trying Neos' wheel bearing grease soon enough.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

2 replys in this thread mention "great success"

1 for each

Link

Link
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

Well the number 1 on that is the red line, which used to be a favorite, number 3 are they reading what they are writing, or did i miss something, anti seize is the 3rd best choice for wheel bearings

Steve M. wrote:

619 201 0310
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: CV grease choice??? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
Well the number 1 on that is the red line, which used to be a favorite, number 3 are they reading what they are writing, or did i miss something, anti seize is the 3rd best choice for wheel bearings

Steve M. wrote:

Well, one thing's for sure: your balls won't ever get stuck ...

Now (stroking chin), how many 8 oz. bottles to buy, and should I use the bottle-top applicator brush?

But there's NO WAY it's better than #5: Seafoam Extreme Marine & Rv Deep Creep Lubricant & Cleaner!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: