Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant Hose in Vancouver
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

I think I have [painstakingly!!] located the best deal on new coolant hose for our Vanagons in Vancouver.
https://www.greenlinehose.com/buy/product/g381-050x12-5/17118?text=g381-125

I called GREENLINE and talked to the guy there who said that the only possible issue with this hose is that it is rated at 60psi and he didn't know if it would be enough for a Vanagon. Otherwise this is a coolant hose rated at 212*F and 100*C which he said should be OK.

It is $CAD6.25/ft which is the cheapest I found... this also has wire reinforcement inside so it won't flop around so much if unsupported.

What do you folks think about the 60psi? >>> good enough?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLANT HOSE in Vancouver Reply with quote

The system is only 16 psi, so if a hose is rated more than that it should work.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLANT HOSE in Vancouver Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The system is only 16 psi, so if a hose is rated more than that it should work.

Excellent!! THX!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLANT HOSE in Vancouver Reply with quote

It’s possible for the cooling system to hit 255F in some instances without an actual problem. 220F is even more possible.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLANT HOSE in Vancouver Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
It’s possible for the cooling system to hit 255F in some instances without an actual problem. 220F is even more possible.

I agree he needs to be using hose designed for an engine cooling system. Not only does it need to handle heat, but it needs to be compatible with common antifreezes and additives.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

I spent quite some time talking to the guy who told me that temp. is not the thing that 'eats' the hose - but rather it is the antifreeze > therefore imperative to get a hose that not only is meant for high heat but is specifically mean for antifreeze. He recommended this one.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

New Line has a green stripe that has slightly higher specs.

https://www.new-line.com/hose/automotive-truck-mar...haust-hose
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

Put a pump in that bucket and return the coolant to your reservoir and you are all set. Great pictures btw!
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

I've used about a 5-6 ft. piece of marine exhaust hose to connect my Subaru t'stat to OEM plastic (still good btw). No leaks. Did show some cracking in outer wall after 10-11 years so I replaced it.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: COOLANT HOSE in Vancouver Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

The GREENLINE HOSE guy actually admitted that if this is true about 220-255F then the G381 could have an issue since it is rated only at 212F.

But our vans only go higher than 212F if they actually OVER-HEAT, correct?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

I've used this exact hose a few times to replace one or both of the long pipes.
It comes 12.5 feet long, rolled up in a box.
You do need a rigid male-male connector at each end, and possibly in 1.5"_to_1.25" to work with later engine and radiator replacement hoses.
Replacement hoses now come made only for 1.5" at the pipe ends.
Says it can take 250 F intermittently.

https://www.overtons.com/shields-shieldsflex-ii-1-14-waterexhaust-hose-with-wire-12-12l-325573.html

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I've used this exact hose a few times to replace one or both of the long pipes.
It comes 12.5 feet long, rolled up in a box.
You do need a rigid male-male connector at each end, and possibly in 1.5"_to_1.25" to work with later engine and radiator replacement hoses.
Replacement hoses now come made only for 1.5" at the pipe ends.
Says it can take 250 F intermittently.

https://www.overtons.com/shields-shieldsflex-ii-1-14-waterexhaust-hose-with-wire-12-12l-325573.html

Mark

Thanks Mark... you mean you have used the GREENLINE G381 a few times, or the SHIELDSFLEX?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

I mean the exact hose I linked to.

I have also used various other brands of the same product, made in various first world countries. I have used 1.5" as well but it has a thinner wall so I prefer the 1.25" though that usually means needing stepped connectors at each end. I keep those in stock. I wouldn't worry much about a temp rating "only" being 100_C since the pressure rating is usually far above what is needed and I think the temp rating is at the specified pressure rating.

In any case I have run it for many years in multiple vans, mostly TurboDiesels, many 10s of thousands of miles each. Now that the stainless replacement pipes are readily available my preference is to use those when replacing both pipes at the same time in a stock application.

Mark
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this applies with marine hose at outlined here, but in most other applications, temperature ratings increase as PSI decreases. So, at only 16-ish psi for the vanagon- rorygirl's link is rated to 200psi. I don't know the exact math, but it's likely if the line is never going to see anything close to 200, the temp rating is functionally much higher. I'd consider asking a rep about this specifically if I had questions.

Here's an article that provides the formula for this for PVC- a totally different material, obviously- but the basic science- I think- still applies. You actual scientists and mechanical wizards out there, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

https://www.hunker.com/12615706/what-temperature-range-for-pvc-pipe
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

My first hose was 1 3/8" that I was able to stretch over the 1.5" Subaru t'stat fitting. Not sure how 1 3/8" would work through the tunnel.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

I got the new GREEN LINE hose installed and new heater hoses. I had to grind/widen the hole in the frame. - no big deal with a dremel.

One of the pipes is still in there and just on 1 foot section is questionable - perhaps next year I will replace just that section with 2 feet of new hose.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
I spent quite some time talking to the guy who told me that temp. is not the thing that 'eats' the hose - but rather it is the antifreeze > therefore imperative to get a hose that not only is meant for high heat but is specifically mean for antifreeze. He recommended this one.

Go back and face slap him for useless information.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
epowell wrote:

Go back and face slap him for useless information.

aha?!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Hose in Vancouver Reply with quote

That was a bit harsh but coolant is pretty benign stuff,chemically. Hoses go from age,chafe, and using those junky silver cheese hose clamps that look pretty at 49 cents each , but chew up your rubber.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: