Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? SOLVED
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

You can see where the drum is rubbing on the inner and outer edges of the shoes, like it is rotating out of round. Anyone have an alternate idea on how to measure the stub axle?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

Problem “occurs” when there’s weight on the axle.
Rotate the hub 90? (Just kidding Wink )

You’ve got some strangeness happening here.

Maybe Set up the dial indicator to measure the axle movement as the van weight comes down on the hub? I don’t know what an acceptable amount might be.
But if the puzzlement goes on too long maybe you could do the same axle-slopmeasurement on a different van?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Problem “occurs” when there’s weight on the axle.
Rotate the hub 90? (Just kidding Wink )

You’ve got some strangeness happening here.

Maybe Set up the dial indicator to measure the axle movement as the van weight comes down on the hub? I don’t know what an acceptable amount might be.
But if the puzzlement goes on too long maybe you could do the same axle-slopmeasurement on a different van?

Im going to end up having to obtain another stub axle, I am located in Montana where there are few other vans. I just hate to throw parts at this vs. diagnose it.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

Sure sounds like theres 'movement' (somewhere) with weight on-wheels.
I wouldn't throw parts at it without more investigation.
Here's a better explanation of my proposal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Set the van down with a jackstand supporting the Right rear of the van on the stub axle nut with a dial gauge showing you how much slop there is (if any). (wheel is off)

If there's enough motion to cause braking problems you can probably see the movement by eyeball.

But if not, set up the dial indicator to measure the axle stub movement relative to the backing plate (as the van weight comes down onto the jackstand).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

I found this:

Link

Seems like a sound way to check runout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

Stub axles in the classifieds:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...=stub+axle

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

Thanks guys...more tomorrow.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

FIXED! The stub axle was indeed untrue.

Hard to believe.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? Reply with quote

Great news for a puzzling pita!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? SOLVED Reply with quote

Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of a bent stub axle? SOLVED Reply with quote

Thank you for all the help guys. Last time I had this side apart, I replaced the hub (the portion with the wheel studs) because it had a bunch of wear on the face area where the bearing presses against it. I assume at one point there was a loose axle nut for some time. I just cant believe the axle was in some way bent...I am now wondering if the face I referenced above has been worn crooked enough on the stub axle also from this to ultimately allow the drum to not spin true. To me, this issue was a matter of the drum spinning just untrue enough to allow the adjuster to over tighten the shoes to the point where they were rubbing on the inner and outer edges constantly which I believe was continuing over time. I know it seems odd, but after all this there seems no other plausible explanation. This issue was going on long before I tore into this recently. When I originally removed the old drum, there was much more brake dust in this side vs. the other side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: