Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1300cc motor timing question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc motor timing question Reply with quote

Follow up: I decided to put the 009 dizzy on the car. Timed to 7.5 BTDC. Just got back from a drive. That sure woke the car up a bit. When I timed it I did see it advancing as I increased RPMs. For now I think I will leave the 009 on the car. I might search for a 205T or M and pick one up if I find one at a good price.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc motor timing question Reply with quote

Curious indeed, typically the vacuum advance fails before the mechanical on SVDA's.

Reading through the topic again and the 113 part number and then seeing the SVDA canister reminded me that the very first late 1960's SVDA's were designed to run with the 30 PICT 3 carburetor and auto-stick trans, and had a different advance curve than the later SVDA's like the "034".

You are certainly not alone in running an uh oh nine. They can work and there are more people running 009's than anything else. Just know they are not optimal performance wise. Better than something that is not advancing properly.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300cc motor timing question Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I shot Tasb a PM for a rebuild 205T.

Relyt wrote:
That is curious. Assuming you got the correct numbers off the distributor (which I believe you did because it matches both VW and Bosch’s numbers) the centrifugal advance is not working.

If you take off the cap, can you twist the rotor and does it “spring” back upon release?

You are currently looking for a new engine so it’s hard to give a recommendation. But if you want to retain a 30 pict series carb and single port engine, my advice would be to source a 205T, there’s several really good rebuilders here. If you want a dual port engine I would suggest a 34pict 3 with a 034/205zb distributor.

For the time being, see which distributor you can get to work the best for you, and run that until you get a more definitive plan.

Edit: Tasb, who posted above me, is one such distributor rebuilder. He’s been doing this for years is one of the most knowledgeable here on distributors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: