Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ABA 2.0 Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RapierceEnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Rebuild Reply with quote

Neil,
I have a 1982 diesel westy that I am looking to put a 1995 obd1 ABA motor in at 50 degrees. I hired a VW mechanic to install it, but he is having some health issues, and I am sure I will need to help him, in order to get the job done.
I am not a mechanic, although I played with cars in my younger years. I would like to talk (by email, most likely) to you about your experience. Would that be possible?

Thanks, Rick
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Rebuild Reply with quote

RapierceEnt wrote:
Neil,
I have a 1982 diesel westy that I am looking to put a 1995 obd1 ABA motor in at 50 degrees. I hired a VW mechanic to install it, but he is having some health issues, and I am sure I will need to help him, in order to get the job done.
I am not a mechanic, although I played with cars in my younger years. I would like to talk (by email, most likely) to you about your experience. Would that be possible?

Thanks, Rick

An ABA in a vanagon is going to be a tight fit & will require a hump in the engine cover at the very least to clear the cylinder head, much less the intake manifold. An earlier Digifant 1.8 would be a better fit as would a 1.8t from a Golf/Jetta/Beetle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Rebuild Reply with quote

RapierceEnt wrote:
Neil,

Thanks, Rick

Hi Rick. Sure. Pmailing questions is fine. And - or start a new topic on the Vanagon forum?

I posted this in the VAG gas engine google group but here's a page I put together some years ago with relevant links to gas I4 et al, swaps:

https://sites.google.com/site/t2t3vaggasengineswaps/home/t2-t3-engine-swap-links

Unless you have a background in this type of work and can read the Bentley wiring diagrams, or really want to dig into learning that, getting a qualified person to modify and if need be repair the harness, is a good route to go. That said, if you tackle this project, especially with forum help, you'll be surprised at how far you can advance in knowledge and skills

There's two things that affect engine fit to engine cover; intake and alternator. This may be hard to find but if feasible, buy an ABA non AC alternator bracket. It positions the alternator lower than an AC capable bracket will. I've seen other solutions using a non PS non AC bracket but those brackets appear to be really hard to find in North America. Denwood on the Vanagon forum posted a way to use Mk2 brackets and a GM type alternator to address the fit to lid issue.

Pictures always help but assuming your 1982 diesel Vanagon has a 4 speed transmission and the original support carrier bars (they have a removable bracket at each end), those bars locate the engine about 2" further forward than it would be if mounted using the later style bars. Other Vanagon owners have used the early style bars and AFAIK, not run into any interference between the engine and engine bay. Regardless, using un-modified early style carrier bars will mean that the stock ABA engine intake will protrude through the engine lid. By about 1" - 2".

In case you see my current swap pics on my 1988 gas Vanagon, JSKY, that swap uses early style carrier bars, modified to position engine *just* below the engine lid (some foam removed) and further rearward to the WBX position, as determined by the transmission mount and length.

From here: https://vanagolf.shutterfly.com/310

Just one example but shows engine lid mod and engine position for an ABA using early style diesel carrier bars

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

engine position looks close to firewall but all parts are reasonably accessible?

Indicates use of early style carrier bars

This is a Tiico swap but shows the non AC bracket I referred to

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Rebuild Reply with quote

I'm considering rebuilding or refreshing (rings, bearings) another ABA***, was re reading notes and helpful comments here, so was reminded to report back on the rebuild I did.

It now has about 10K miles and aside from a few "bugs" that I think I've fixed, it runs quite well, has more power than the ABA in my other van, gets about 21 MPG US gallons and appears to be using very little oil; I think the rings seated well and the flaw in one of the cylinders may not be affecting things at all.

Speaking of oil use, the RPM sensor at block [edit; leak was between sensor and block, not at the sensor itself] did start to leak rather profusely. It was a plastic aftermarket part. Leak could've been due to installer error but to me, it appears that the OE metal part and seal provides a better seal. IIRC, since the repair was done while on a road trip, I added a little black RTV to the OE sensor. Not the best solution in terms of future R&R but the part is pretty easy to get at on this engine conversion.

Neil.

*** This ABA came with a machined head and appears to be "finished" (but missing some parts like injectors) but sadly, the builder had passed away and the only real info I have on it is a tag showing a price of $1600 and a few build notes like 'used engine, machined head'. The price I paid was right at ~ $175 CND, IIRC. I'm considering going OBD2 with a different cam etc but for my needs, the power I have in the ABA I rebuilt is good enough.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Rebuild Reply with quote

I was re reading this thread to forward to another ABA rebuilder in Vanagon forum.

Just to report back, 50K km's later and the ABA is still mechanically sound afaik. There's a couple of really minor issues but it's been my DD and is reliable.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
combidragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Rebuild Reply with quote

Hi Neil, great to hear this one worked out well.

I have a 93 water cooled T2 from Mexico that I'm considering doing a swap on. There's a 2.0L 97 Jetta engine I've been eyeing up for the build.

Do you know if the deck clearance is a T2 is higher than a T3?
Saw you used a Kennedy adaptor, what did you do for wiring changes?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: