Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting new heater boxes
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

I need to protect brand new Dansk heater boxes. Tiger @ A1 suggested just spraying them with VHT.

I figure satin black with be best to clean if they get oil, dirt, grease on them.

Yes / No ?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

I used regular high heat engine paint on a set on an engine I built almost 20 years ago... still looking ok. I would imagine the VHT would be even better. I used VHT silver on my recent 40HP build for the muffler... haven’t ran it enough to confirm... but I think it would hold up really good on boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

I just let them get dirty as fuck after an initial spray of dove grey.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Glen you may be onto something with the black. Oil grease rode grime is all within that part of the color wheel of black so why not.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Sandblasting or beadblasting makes any paint adhere far better. Wipe down with wax/grease remover, and do a good job spraying, it'll look every bit as good as powdercoat.
I'd have to say it's going to be mainly cosmetic tho, they will probably rot at the seams and interior, since they have no rust protection whatsoever in there.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

modok wrote:

I'd have to say it's going to be mainly cosmetic tho, they will probably rot at the seams and interior, since they have no rust protection whatsoever in there.

I totally agree.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Cerakote will last and protect. And is a true hi temp coating.

Last edited by ps2375 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

I used satin VHT on my heater boxes, and they get real hot with my setup. Paint is still real nice after almost a year, and has held up to its fair share of oil leaks and road salt.

Definitely recommend blasting them beforehand, the VHT is pretty picky about proper adhesion.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

[quote="Glenn"]I need to protect brand new Dansk heater boxes. Tiger @ A1 suggested just spraying them with VHT.

I figure satin black with be best to clean if they get oil, dirt, grease on them.

Yes![/quote]

My CSP heater boxes are satin black and look great.
Though like Glen said. The insides are not coated. So we'll see how then hold up to the winter rain.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Call me a purist, but I prefer fresh air heat exchangers to be externally coated in gray. My 62 is stale air, that's different (black), but my Baja, that's fresh air and I keep them gray. Yes, they need to be painted! But I really don't think color makes any difference as far as heat delivery.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Yes get the VHT 1600* header paint. Follow the directions on the can. Sandblast the heater box. Use the VHT 1600* primer then the paint. Again follow the directions on the can and BAKE them in an oven. That is the absolute best you can get out of a rattle can. I have done headers like that and they last several years.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Rutland high temp stove paint.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Satin and flat paints are harder to clean than gloss paints ... if that matters. VW painted them gray so I do too. Never used high heat paint. The outsides don't get hot enough to burn paint except for the forward pipe and flange that attaches to the head.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Satin and flat paints are harder to clean than gloss paints ... if that matters. VW painted them gray so I do too. Never used high heat paint. The outsides don't get hot enough to burn paint except for the forward pipe and flange that attaches to the head.

That’s what I’ve been taught ^^^
Rust-Oleum Gloss Dark Gray is what we use at my buddy’s shop with success. Works well on manifolds as well. In my head, I always thought the gray color would help expose a phantom oil leak better.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-249115-Painters-Purpose-12-Ounce/dp/B002BWOS4Y

Couldn’t find picture of heater boxes but you can see the gray on my manifold
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I need to protect brand new Dansk heater boxes. Tiger @ A1 suggested just spraying them with VHT.

Yes / No ?

If black they will be harder to clean as the dirt wont be as visible. If you cant see the dirt, you maybe more likely to ignore it, and leave it dirty.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting new heater boxes Reply with quote

Hello, I replaced one on an FI bug and cleaned and painted it with some Hammerite I had on hand about two months ago. Looks good so far.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: