Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

I recently picked up this full circle 36hp Weber crankshaft. Unusual that it only has 4 dowels instead of eight
which suggests it's only a 64mm stroke??? The journals are all STD. @ 50mm and use a 36hp rod.

Click on this link below for photos:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1DWn3xJJVQ/

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

Looks like a VERY OLD Scat crank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

Mr. O'

What's your plan for the crankshaft?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

Wasn't that listed on Samba for some crazy low price...think it was $250 or $350. It went fast...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Mr. O'

What's your plan for the crankshaft?

Cheers,

Paul

Don't know. I purchased it more out of curiosity than function / use. I see that it's stamped: 3.000" which I'm assuming is the stroke? If that's the case, the stroke comes out to be: 76.2mm which is possible since someone mentioned earlier that it looks like an old SCAT crankshaft. Interesting that I once opened up a 36hp longblock built buy SCAT way back in the late 80's that had a (SCAT stamped) 76.2mm Porsche 356 crankshaft that had it's 53mm rod journals off-set ground to 50mm to give it that extra 2.2mm and used "clearenced" 36hp rods instead of Porsche 356. BTW: Because of the severe working angle of the conn. rod with that stroke and stock rod, 1 rod was severely bent! Rolling Eyes

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Wasn't that listed on Samba for some crazy low price...think it was $250 or $350. It went fast...

When I saw the listing, I noticed that I was the 1st. person that had viewed it! It had "make offer" so I made an offer of $250 and he accepted.
It looked familiar and thought "that's a WEBER crankshaft". I had to go back and search and found some photos in the gallery.
Here are some photos. The first photo shows the crankshaft with a lightened flywheel. The second photo shows some other parts.
I purchased the Denzel heads with intake manifolds and original full flow oil filter set-up.
The crankshaft is currently at my crank grinder being magnafluxed to be sure it ain't broken.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW: Because of the severe working angle of the conn. rod with that stroke and stock rod, 1 rod was severely bent!

The rod ratio of 130mm 36hp rod/ 74mm stroke is about 1.75
The rod ratio of 137mm 1600 rod/ 82mm storke is about 1.65

why would that rod ratio be so detrimental in a 36hp when a smaller ratio is commonly used in 1600 based 2L engines all the time without issue?
would the AA H beams solve the bent rod issue?
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

The crank and flywheel in those pictures are in my barn. It’s 8 dowel.
. I was told those cranks are not worth the time. And they crack. I had it ‘fluxed and is shows ok. Who knows.....build it an see what happens 💥

The heads ended up with Raby at some point I was told. Don’t know where the bee hive is??
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

Found my paper that I got with crank. Seller told me it was 78.4 Weber crank.
'63 "milo" beetle
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

type4split wrote:

The heads ended up with Raby at some point I was told. Don’t know where the bee hive is??

I ended up with the Denzel heads, intakes, oil fllter and lines. Laughing

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

Joe..do you have any spare denzel oil lines ..
I can't seem to find any repros out there 😣
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

How much does that full circle thing weigh?
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

ALB wrote:

Don't know. I didn't weigh it so.........

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

ALB wrote:

a lot
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
ALB wrote:

Don't know. I didn't weigh it so.........

Stock/counterweighted/full circle- you, being the engine guru, would be the guy to have at least a stock crank to compare it to. Doesn't it pique your interest at all? And yeah, I'm sure it weighs a lot.
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

My full circle is ~20lbs. A stock 36hp crank is ~13lbs. Granted I’m just a guys in the garage with some old produce scales. ... but you get the idea of difference
'63 "milo" beetle
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

type4split wrote:
My full circle is ~20lbs. A stock 36hp crank is ~13lbs. Granted I’m just a guys in the garage with some old produce scales. ... but you get the idea of difference

Thank you for taking the time to find out.
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

ALB wrote:

As soon as I received the Weber crankshaft, I took it to DPR (Jose) to have it magnufluxed to make sure it was good.
4 days later, Jose called me to let me know the crankshaft was broken in several places so I returned it to the owner Crying or Very sad
I didn't get a chance to weigh it though.

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Full Circle 36hp Weber Crankshaft Reply with quote

Joe, a little footnote to the story of cast iron 36hp cranks: maybe 15yrs ago, I saw a "Whitfield" 36hp stroker crank for sale on Samba, that had me curious. Bud Whitfield (RIP) and I had raced together in the late 90's, early 2000's, he did some machine work for me, so I called him up to get the story, to see if this was his.

He just laughed, affirmed indeed, he had made a run of cast iron cranks in the early 1960's, and was sorry he did. He said "one of my big mistakes, if it wasn't already cracked, it would be shortly after anyone put it into an engine and ran it". Bud manufactured several vw performance parts while in Orange county, oil pumps, several other things that I can't remember. Billet was far too expensive, and custom forged was completely out of the question, people just weren't ready to spend that kind of money on the lowly vw platform back then. In order to make it cost effective, he had to have a pattern made and cast up 20 or 30 or more (he told me, I can't remember), then machine and grind them. Boy did he regret it, because in his words "They were all junk, wrong material, I didn't know any better back then!" he told me. "Volkswagen used cast iron crankshafts during development, but abandoned it because they kept breaking cranks, they didn't want to but, ended up witht he much more expensive forged cranks, from 36hp though to the 1600. The Brazilian factory got it figured out in the late 70's early 80's, so did CB with some densefied casting process I think" he added "they did fine for street and some mild performance, but I'd never use one of those for high rpm race use"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: