Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Over the weekend I replaced the rubber and clamps for the sway bar. I had to cut off the old ones because they were rusted on. You also have to use a couple of clamps to compress the claps to get the clip for the on. Laughing

I aslo have to replace steering damper and the seal to the steering box and then the front end of the chassis will be done.

I am getting ready to remove the rear bearing and replace all of the seals and spacers for the bearings and put the oil slingers on. Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Sorry, it’s been a while since I have updated, not much new. I installed an eberspacher K4 Gas Heater that I restored

I had to make an adapter bracket by 3D printing it. I also made a custom exhaust pipe for it, the heater is for a pre 60.

Adapter bracket

Exhaust pipe

I also started sand blasting the front end, I’m first going to paint the bottom side, wheel wells and front end then flip it right side up.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got the blasting finished on the front end. I got some body filler on, I used USC duraglas, some of the filler job is really rough but I’ll sand it.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I just got back to working on Herb. I had ordered a new wiper switch with some other parts and got a two speed wiper switch remembering that I had a two speed motor. I found the motor and it is 12v.

I got it hooked up to the new switch, it worked good, but a little noise...
The brushes in the motor are a weird set up for sure, not like the normal.
I got the motor and assembly a few years back at the junk yard, at the time I installed it and was using it on 6v, single speed switch, very slow. Now that I am restoring the car and converting it to 12v, I decided to use it and get a two speed switch since I do not have any that do not leak and I figure it is better to have two speeds even though its not original.
Anyways, I took off the bottom plate and regreased it. The old stuff was oily or hard clumps from separating. I got everything cleaned before regreasing it. There is a ball that goes on the bottom of the input shaft, make sure that goes on.

I also put on a new seal for the cover. I tested it and it ran a lot smoother.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

A picture from a few years ago when the car looked nice and the rust was covered with bondo.....
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I started replacing the link and king pins and realized I needed the reamer tool for the bushings, so that’s on pause.

A little toed in lol

Checking the offset

I decided to fix the clutch pedal bracket, the floor pan was bending because the backside behind the bolt was too short. I welded on a piece to the back of it and welded on a brace so it couldn’t bend. It fixed it and now the pedals are even again and the pedal won’t fall forward. My job was way over kill...

I was just thinking that these books came with my car and it made me wonder how close the POs were to making my car into a Baja or a custom Shocked

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

So I have some engine questions. Herbie’s engine when I got my Herbie it read 2,000 and some odd miles, I thought that it’s been around a time or two. I changed oil ad fired it up and it ran great, compression was 110-115 all around, so I got luck and it was recently rebuilt mileage wise based on that and other pieces on the engine that are newer. The PO didn’t know the condition of the engine and bought it in 1998 and used it for radio remotes as a herbie and only took it on/off a trailer. I got it in 2015, I have no clue why some one rebuilt the engine along with swapping the transmission and put so few miles on it. What’s weird also is that the transmission is not original to the car but the engine is. When I got it, it was a 6v system and it didn’t charge at all, I couldn’t drive it much more than an hour or two before I’d have to charge the battery. My question is could the charging issue be the reason they put so few miles on it after rebuilding it? What were the parts quality before 1998? It had a Monza exhaust, what time period would that be from? I’m curious when it was rebuilt because the PO hadn’t mentioned a single thing about it being rebuilt and it seems to be a very old rebuild. Here are the pics of the engine when I got it. Thanks for the help!

The last pic is for the exhaust, if you have any ideas, let me know the first two pics are how I got it. Here’s a now pic just for fun

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
My question is could the charging issue be the reason they put so few miles on it after rebuilding it? What were the parts quality before 1998? It had a Monza exhaust, what time period would that be from?

It's hard to say why the car wasn't driven much as there were just as myriad of reasons to drive infrequently then as there are today. A defective charging system is just as possible and plausible as that the car was simply a passing hobby.

Parts quality back before 1998 was generally decent, though it was still very possible to pick up some unadulterated cheap garbage. Most mechanical parts were at least serviceable enough for a driver. It'd help to know what parts specifically you're concerned with.

Monza exhausts were quite popular late 80's through late 90's. They were relatively cheap, tucked up well beneath the apron, noisy enough and looked the part to convince the owner they'd made some sort of performance upgrade, but in actuality didn't really perform any different than a stock muffler; I guess the best that can be said is they at least didn't perform worse than stock.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

My parts I was wondering about is pistons, jugs, valves and stuff like that. The monza exhaust popularity range helps, that would make sense if the engine was rebuilt somewhere in the late 80’s/90’s. I could see how it could maybe be of been a hobby car with the books, how they put some work into it like new seats and covering body issues with bondo. The guy I bought it from said he bought it from a farmer and the farmer couldn’t find the title. I got it titled and licensed and then soon after started the restoration. I just curious and want to find out more about my car. Thanks for the help!
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Excellent build! Keep up the great work. Popcorn
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Thanks! I’m excited to have it done since it’s my first car!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got my new keys!!!!!! SV6. I thought that the doors and ignition were keyed alike, they were not Sad . I was using a GM key that I found that workedin the ignition and it fit in the door locks but didn’t open them and I though it was worn out in the ignition. Well, the ignition was VW but when I took it apart there were only four tumbler keys rather than the normal 6. I switched the door lock tumblers into different handles from a 66, the stainless steel/ aluminum ones. I had a SV108 ignition laying around and the SV6 key fit into and I had to file two of the six tumbler keys to get it to work, I put that tumbler in the ignition that was in my car since the SV108 ignition wasn’t work right. The new ignition and tumbler combination and door locks work good, so that’s good.

The tumbler with the GM key was the ignition I was using and the one with the VW key in it was the SV108. So on my car, someone replaced the original ignition, then they lost that key, then they put a new key switch to turn on the car and a push button to start it Brick wall Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Some cool photos of old businesses that used to be around in the town I live in.

Still working on body work on the front end. I was getting body filler out of a nut when it broke off the back Evil or Very Mad It was a crappy replacement panel, the lower inner wheel well. I cleaned the area, drilled the hole bigger so I could weld it on from the front side to the back. I was using a magnet to hold the nut on the back of the panel, and I accidentally welded the magnet on Evil or Very Mad Brick wall At least I didn’t get weld in the threads.

The front end looks a lot better with some filler

I was fixing a shock absorber bolt when it snapped off also. Nuts and bolts were just failing me yesterday...
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Not much to update on. I went to the junk years and got a rust free 60-64 door! But I found there was accident damage covered with bondo Evil or Very Mad But I did finish the body work on the front end and got it primed yesterday!! It’s getting so close to done with the body work Dancing

Some of the body work on the fire wall is pretty rough but you won’t see it.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

The rubber was like new in it, there’s even a bullet hole in the door.

I got a couple coats of high build primer on the front end yesterday.

I still have some sanding to do on it though
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Yesterday I put in some new hubcap clips. If anyone is interested, I will show you the best method I found to do it.

First I’d recommend putting tape on the rim where the clips and rivets are going to go so the rim doesn’t get to sratched up.

Also take a 13/64 drill bit and use it to scrap the paint in the hole of the clip and maybe even the rim to the rivet fit in.

Then you want to clip the hubcap rivet tool in a vise and put blocks on the others side to make the wheel level on the other side.

Here’s what you need; gloves, a big punch, hammer, hub cap and rivet set, hub cap rivet tool, tape and blocks.

You want to pound down on the rivet with the punch and hammer until it’s level with the rim or a little further in. If you have any questions just ask
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Sorry there’s hasn’t been any updates in a while, school started and progress really slowed. But I did get all of the underside and the wheel wells painted and under coated and the body flipped up right and put on the chassis. I got most all of the electrical hooked up, it worked great! Everything was bright, everything I had hooked up worked the parking lights work now (they didn’t before). I got my gas tank professionally redone, the out side they put some kind of coating on it thats really ugly but if I remove it it voids the lifetime warranty, but the inside looks good. The whole front trunk is painted also now. The firewall tar board came from the junkyard but it looks great!

And my front kingpin carrier is still out for the bushings to be reamed.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Over the weekend I got the body lined up and got about half of the mounting bolts in for it, all the rest for the floor pans. Some of the holes need to be reamed out a little more to line up. I have some parts ordered for the gas tank and a tie rod end to start putting together the front end so hopefully I can start the car up soon.

Hopefully these pictures are a little better.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Ceckert64 I just started reading your thread as per the question you had in the paint thread. Thanks for this reminder on these hubcap clips which I'll use and how's the weather in Midland today? My in-law's/family are in that area and I had a great time kayaking with the children this past summer but it does get cold and lots of snow to contend with. Also love the vintage bus Howe TV pictures. Keep up the good work.

Ceckert64 wrote:
Yesterday I put in some new hubcap clips. If anyone is interested, I will show you the best method I found to do it.

First I’d recommend putting tape on the rim where the clips and rivets are going to go so the rim doesn’t get to sratched up.

Also take a 13/64 drill bit and use it to scrap the paint in the hole of the clip and maybe even the rim to the rivet fit in.

Then you want to clip the hubcap rivet tool in a vise and put blocks on the others side to make the wheel level on the other side.

Here’s what you need; gloves, a big punch, hammer, hub cap and rivet set, hub cap rivet tool, tape and blocks.

You want to pound down on the rivet with the punch and hammer until it’s level with the rim or a little further in. If you have any questions just ask

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Thank you! The weather today is pretty good, a bit of rain this week. I got the body lined up and got almost all of the mounting bolts in for it. I had to use heavy duty ratchet straps to get all of the body bolts to pan bolts in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: