Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shops out west that do rust repair?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

I'm interested in finding someone that can do some rust repair on my bay window.

I already have the KlassicFab panel for the front floor area. I also need the rear parcel shelf/spare tire section replaced. I just don't have the time to get this done myself.

The bus is currently in Eastern Washington, but I am open to taking it to a shop pretty much anywhere in the SW as well. CA, AZ, NM etc.

Anyone know of a shop that does this sort of work, and could get it done in a timely fashion?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you all have.

My 1968 Campmobile
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

I’ve seen work by Peace Vans in Seattle. Impressive.

Here some other reading

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703013

Also user-Lil Lulu has a guy he likes in Tacoma area (I think). Hopefully he will see this and respond. I’ll shoot him a text.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

If you have the panels it should not be all that hard to find someone to do the repairs as there isn't any thing all that special to welding them in. Contact your local antique car club and find out who close to you has those skills.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

Lulu used Gambles Finishing in Lacey/Olympia area a couple times for his bus.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

it isn't that hard to find the shops that do that kind of work with quality but there seem to be two issues no bus owner is willing to work with:

1) They are $$$$$$$$

2) There is a waiting list of other cars

You can easily drop $10,000 to $40,000 into rust repairs on a $12,000 bay.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses folks.

I only have the panel for the front floor.
I haven't sourced the parcel shelf section yet.

You're certainly right SGKent. I am very aware of the costs to have this work done. It's many hours, and I would like quality work done. Those add up to $$$.

The second part is just as big an issue.

Given all the time in the world, I would fix it all myself. That was my plan. This is/was my hobby. I have a shop all set up that was years in the making. Then plans change... Rolling Eyes

We are about to live full time in our RV, and want to tow the bus. We also want to leave in less than 2 months, so I think I'm unrealistic thinking anyone can make this repair in that short a time. Confused

I'll reach out to the places posted above, but I've talked to a couple people so far. Both already have projects they were working on. Makes sense. If you're good at this, why wouldn't you be busy?

Maybe I can find a shop down south with a place to park the RV nearby for a few weeks/months while they do the work. In the next week or two, I'll be driving the Bus to AZ to attend to some property. Maybe I can look down there too.

Either way, we will be without a dinghy while the bus is repaired... hmmm

Thanks again for the recommendations. I'm going to give them a call today.

If anyone has recommendations for shops in AZ, that would be great too. Our properties there are in Flagstaff and Mesa, but I would be happy to drive to CA or NM if needed. Basically, someplace without snow for the winter Wink

My 1968 Campmobile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

the question gets asked all the time. I do hope you find someone.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

BulliKlinik in Colorado does excellent work, but he has a waiting list. Nice bloke too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

Thanks! That made my morning. Smile

Now off to the Porsche mines...
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
BulliKlinik in Colorado does excellent work, but he has a waiting list. Nice bloke too!

Why is it everyone who does excellent work has a waiting list?

Ouch, Samba, that face slap hurt....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

after the face slap and you get your focus back - just a guess - too many bay owners are cheap, and there are too many for the price to make it worth opening up a shop to do them. There was a guy in So Cal that made a business of just restoring bays about 15 years ago and he went belly in. VWOG set up a factory in Europe to restore bays about 7 or 8 years ago, never heard what happened to it.

That said, I just spilled a 1/3 quart of paint on a door on sawhorses. You have never seen an exterior door painted faster in your life... .
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

after the face slap and you get your focus back - just a guess - too many bay owners are cheap, and there are too many for the price to make it worth opening up a shop to do them. There was a guy in So Cal that made a business of just restoring bays about 15 years ago and he went belly in. VWOG set up a factory in Europe to restore bays about 7 or 8 years ago, never heard what happened to it.

That said, I just spilled a 1/3 quart of paint on a door on sawhorses. You have never seen an exterior door painted faster in your life... .
Thats a legit technique. Dump it on and roll it out. (Not for auto body though....)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

In this case he has a couple of Porsches in the pipeline and also just scored probably the best barn find splittie I’ve seen in a while. I know of a DC and a SC split window that an old gentleman has, but I have no room and I don’t want to set the sharks on him. He has a killer Manx as well.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Thanks! That made my morning. Smile

Now off to the Porsche mines...
You’re welcome and good luck!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: shops out west that do rust repair? Reply with quote

I would take it to Kustom Coach Werks in Grand Junction..

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: