Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Good day fellow members,

In the final stages of my pearl white Westfalia restoration. Need to order my yellow/orange pop top canvas. Looking for the white screens as it came new from the factory. The name Helmut Szyduk in europe has been suggested as the most faithful reproduction. Is this guy good to deal with? Need to hear from the Westy community before making an order. Just want to be sure because quality and as close to the original look matter.

Thanks for your input,
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Helmut is awesome to deal with. Excellent communication and quality work.

Here's the pop-top canvas I got from him and how I installed it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670226
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Crazy VW Lady,

You are awesome! I am now sold on ordering from Heimut. So when I send him emails is the english language understood by him. In other words are there any communication obstacles? How did you deal with payment and shipping?
Your detailed installation instructions are well written and nicely documented with photos. Members like you are so valuable helping this community bring back these iconic buses to life.

Thanks again for your help,
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Communication was no problem. I think we used PayPal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Me too... that is, I also purchased one of Helmut's SO42 replacement pop-top canvas and it is top quality, and I thought quite reasonable too for the quality. Easy communication, I paid via Paypal and it was in stock and arrived quickly from Eastern Europe. I haven't installed it yet, but it is gorgeous and correct!

By the way... nice instruction thread on the install Nancy! I'll be referring to it one I am ready to install my canvas!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

I have an older PLF screen which is NLA but if I had to buy another id get Helmuts.

Theres nothing more distracting than a pop top canvas with black screens...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Another vote for Helmut. Great product and nice guy. Here's mine installed a few months ago (purchased many years ago).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Grönis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

One more vote for Helmut.

Hinchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Great guy!, had a pop top canvas and a big top awning from him. Great communication and amazing quality products Very Happy
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Nice work. I will be using this when I get mine done.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

lorse wrote:
Nice work. I will be using this when I get mine done.

WHOA!!! HES ALIVE!!!!!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

Laughing

Working on getting my SO42 squared away.... the salt air has taken a toll, she's running strong, leaving a trail of bits and pieces along the way!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top canvas decision 67 SO42 Reply with quote

I just reread Nancy's install and see that she heard the WW's have poor fitting, good to know I can stop kicking myself as mine from WW is too short by 1/2" and I'll need to buy one from Helmut Szydlik ([email protected]) to replace it.

BulliBill wrote:

By the way... nice instruction thread on the install Nancy! I'll be referring to it one I am ready to install my canvas!

Bill

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: