Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

VeeDubKev wrote:
New to this thread. Im told I have a 58’ but I dont really know anything else got it as a bare shell with wrong fenders (for now). My number is 1805440 can anyone tell me some info from that ?

It looks like it's a January 58 build, so officially a 1958 model year (Aug 57-end of July 58 ) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
remember the numbers are for the last vehicle made in the month so 1815 645 was the last made in January.
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
VeeDubKev wrote:
New to this thread. Im told I have a 58’ but I dont really know anything else got it as a bare shell with wrong fenders (for now). My number is 1805440 can anyone tell me some info from that ?

It looks like it's a January 58 build, so officially a 1958 model year (Aug 57-end of July 58 ) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
remember the numbers are for the last vehicle made in the month so 1815 645 was the last made in January.

Thanks a million
AlohaBuggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Much appreciated. Thanks for the help. I’ll give it a shot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IndyDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: 59 Euro 3-wire turn signal switch Reply with quote

Gurus:
Is there a proper name for this type of switch housing?
I can't find a 3-wire replacement switch. Anyone know of a source for the 3-wire switch for this semaphore EuroBug?
If not, does anyone have experience fitting the WW 6-wire Repro into this housing?
Thanks--
IndyDave
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

The same switch used for US market Oct '52 through mid '55 was also the one used for European/semaphore cars Oct '52 through the '59 model. Part number 111953511A.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 59 Euro 3-wire turn signal switch Reply with quote

IndyDave wrote:
Gurus:
Is there a proper name for this type of switch housing?
I can't find a 3-wire replacement switch. Anyone know of a source for the 3-wire switch for this semaphore EuroBug?
If not, does anyone have experience fitting the WW 6-wire Repro into this housing?
Thanks--
IndyDave

A search of the 1958-67 beetle forum for "Semaphore Switch" and "Titles Only" box checked:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
IndyDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks Eric&Barb, having the correct term made the search more effective.
Thanks also Mukluk, I really appreciate your efforts with the part number.
I can't find the switch anywhere.
I'm planning to use the 6-wire switch from WW combined with LED taillights & parking lights from Chip Birks, along with flasher relays. I usually prefer the original look, but other drivers don't seem to understand the semaphores.
It won't look too original if I get smashed by a giant SUV, and this is a way to get a flashing light in the front without adding fender signals.
Chase1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

IndyDave wrote:

I'm planning to use the 6-wire switch from WW combined with LED taillights & parking lights from Chip Birks, along with flasher relays. I usually prefer the original look, but other drivers don't seem to understand the semaphores.
It won't look too original if I get smashed by a giant SUV, and this is a way to get a flashing light in the front without adding fender signals.

I have a '58 with semaphores and have an extra 3 wire switch with no strap laying around, as I had to find a complete replacement from the Netherlands (https://www.kieftenklok.nl/shop/index.php/en/). Like you, I was going to switch over to Chip's LEDs with blinkers but the previous owner already switched over to LEDs. Instead, I installed the flashing LEDs for the semaphores. I will eventually add another circuit to the taillights as I agree with your assessment about other drivers.

Good luck.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Okay so I have an April of '59 and my Dad has a June of '59 Beetle. His car had steering box 311 415 131 and mine had steering box 111 415 131. Which steering box is correct for the 58/59 models or are both steering box models we have correct for the car?

This one off of April '59 car

This one off of June of '59 car

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cab57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I have the same steering box like you on my beetle 59 from april (european model). The date stamped on this box is 18/03/59

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I didn't even think to look at the date stamps! My steering box is Jan 28 59 his is Nov 5 62 so it must of been replaced at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anteatereater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hi all, I've recently moved from my old 65 into this running and driving all original 58 Canadian custom(Canadian standard). I've just been going over things and after running my engine code it's coming up as 1955. So I'm guessing it's not the original motor unless they tossed these old ones in the super basic model that these Canadian customs are. Either was that doesn't really matter much as it's running quite well for what it is. My question is though is there a way to tell if it's the 25hp or the 36hp?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

anteatereater wrote:
My question is though is there a way to tell if it's the 25hp or the 36hp?[/img]

If you mean size of engine, then remove a head to measure piston size and stroke.

If you mean if the exterior parts are 25 HP, would look up parts numbers in the part manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

The 1970s printed type 1 parts manual is available thru the "Upcoming" button at upper right.

The earlier type 2 manual is also a great reference for the type 1 due to using almost the same engine parts as the type 1, with main exceptions of the air cleaner and muffler. Plus does not have the all the later parts to wade thru as the afore mentioned type 1 parts manual.

Even if your engine case is 1955 production, it could easily have been bored (and the heads) open to accept the later 36 HP P&Cs. On other hand it could be a 25 or 36 HP replacement engine case that the original 1955 engine case numbers was stamped into. Original 25 HP engine cases do not have the oil filler bolt mount cast into it.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

anteatereater wrote:
Hi all, I've recently moved from my old 65 into this running and driving all original 58 Canadian custom(Canadian standard)?

Always great to see another L245 car!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anteatereater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
anteatereater wrote:
My question is though is there a way to tell if it's the 25hp or the 36hp?[/img]

If you mean size of engine, then remove a head to measure piston size and stroke.

If you mean if the exterior parts are 25 HP, would look up parts numbers in the part manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

The 1970s printed type 1 parts manual is available thru the "Upcoming" button at upper right.

The earlier type 2 manual is also a great reference for the type 1 due to using almost the same engine parts as the type 1, with main exceptions of the air cleaner and muffler. Plus does not have the all the later parts to wade thru as the afore mentioned type 1 parts manual.

Even if your engine case is 1955 production, it could easily have been bored (and the heads) open to accept the later 36 HP P&Cs. On other hand it could be a 25 or 36 HP replacement engine case that the original 1955 engine case numbers was stamped into. Original 25 HP engine cases do not have the oil filler bolt mount cast into it.

thanks for that info, my case does not have the oil filler mount bolt as that's something i noticed right away. I was told today that the 25horse only went up to 1953, do you know if that's correct? seems contradicting now to what you said about the 25hp case not having the oil filler bolt mount though.
anteatereater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
anteatereater wrote:
Hi all, I've recently moved from my old 65 into this running and driving all original 58 Canadian custom(Canadian standard)?

Always great to see another L245 car!

what does L245 signify? is that the model?
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

paint code
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

anteatereater wrote:
Hi all, I've recently moved from my old 65 into this running and driving all original 58 Canadian custom(Canadian standard). I've just been going over things and after running my engine code it's coming up as 1955. So I'm guessing it's not the original motor unless they tossed these old ones in the super basic model that these Canadian customs are. Either was that doesn't really matter much as it's running quite well for what it is. My question is though is there a way to tell if it's the 25hp or the 36hp?

It's a Jan. 1955 engine, it's 36hp.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anteatereater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

smeag wrote:
paint code

Yes thanks, i actually just realised that after i posted. light bronze, Same color of the 58 my Opa had back then.
anteatereater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
anteatereater wrote:

It's a Jan. 1955 engine, it's 36hp.

Prefect, thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 135 of 148

Jump to: