Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Drove the first leg of the weekend road trip today. ~5 hours total bug'n down the road, just crusin' along and running like a sewing machine at 65-70mph through and over the WV mountains.
Very Happy

Sounds awesome...where's the evidence that this really happened!!!??? Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
May drive it today for more stuff and a pizza.

Ran into a massive rainstorm 2 miles from my house; went through puddles, lights on, wipers full blast; did all my errands. Got back and my place didn't get a drop.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Took him out for a little 30km errands run. Long enough to get a couple of compliments. One guy was telling me about a guy around Boston that has 300 Beetles? Anyone hear of such a guy or is that just BS?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Drove the first leg of the weekend road trip today. ~5 hours total bug'n down the road, just crusin' along and running like a sewing machine at 65-70mph through and over the WV mountains.
Very Happy

Sounds awesome...where's the evidence that this really happened!!!??? Very Happy

On the camera, although yesterday was more of a 'make good time' driving day. Not too many exciting pictures, especially after the giant bug splattered all over the windshield- blocking Ms. AlmostHeaven's photography line of sight.

I'll get some pictures up soon....but for now, you'll just have to take my word for it and wait with great anticipation Wink
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Made it 300 miles to Lake Oscawana by Bear Mountain with my traveling buddy Scooter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I thought you were talking about the old guy.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Clutch adjustment on the '72 test drove to Walmart and back also drove the Squareback as well. Easier to load the squareback.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Finally took mine out and it ran great.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Very Happy

Weekend road trip of about 300 miles, encompassing roads in 3 states (WV,OH,PA). Bug ran great the whole weekend, averaging 25mpg too! Very Happy

Small town:

Big city:

Interstates:

State highways:

2-lane routes:

Car show:

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I did after adjusting the clutch
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
vamram wrote:
Made it 300 miles to Lake Oscawana by Bear Mountain with my traveling buddy Scooter.

I thought you were talking about the old guy.

Scooter is 12 so he qualifies as "the old guy." However, the old guy to the left is my father-in-law; he would *not* have faired well in the Bug for this trip!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove it to pick my teenage daughter up from school.

Ran out of gas.

Stupid inaccurate gauge.

Laughing
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I'm just happy that I started my bug today.

I'm talking about my 62, which half a year ago, replaced the transaxle (which leaks horribly) and if that's not enough the front main flywheel seal also decided to puke at the same time.

So, I parked it. A couple of weeks ago I did try to start it... nada.

I investigated a few days ago, found no fuel in my carb. Changed the carb, but turns out the carb was fine... and the fuel pump was the issue.

Today, I changed the fuel pump, and I think my spare hasn't run in over 20 years! But it worked, started up.

Not that I don't still have to deal with the flywheel seal and the transaxle right side axle tube flange seal leaking.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
thecableguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Yesterday (Sunday) took my super to Rockford Speedway and raced autocross. She ran great, drove an hour there at 70 mph, then seven timed runs through the course and an hour drive home.

Won my class, and felt pretty good about placing 50th overall in a field of 67.

Wanna take a lap with me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAe3F0r1EAs

Jim
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

That looks like so much fun!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Got mine registered and took it out for the first time in (drum roll please...) 20 years! As you may expect, many adjustments lay ahead for me, and the ride was a little scary (sans alignment), but I've entered a new phase in the rebirth of the car. Hopefully I can get a 1000 miles on it before Winter bedtime.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove it to the store yesterday and when I came back out I found this Audi parked next to me. Just before this picture I caught the young female passenger of this Audi taking a picture of my Bug. So I snapped his.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

thecableguy wrote:

Wanna take a lap with me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAe3F0r1EAs

That’s great!

Here’s my run in the dirt from a couple months ago.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Hello and good morning...

Yep, took my Super German Looker as I call it for a drive around town just running errons and man what a car. The 2180 that is a mild build is still doing its thing, running, lol.. But yes has some pep and put together with a newly rebuilt trans with Super Diff.

But why I am here is not to talk about my car, but German Lookers in General. Man what cars to drive.

After some nice wide wheels go on, plus maybe bigger maybe bigger wheels to have a lower series side wall tire. Some over sized sway bars both on Front and added to the Rear. Disk Brakes all the way around, plus a strut bar added, man what a driving machine these cars can be.

All I say is if anyone who is a VW person gets a chance to ride in, or drive a German Looker perked up some, just do it.. The cars are very agile and predictable plus if it is a true German Looker built out of a Super Bettle, and better yet, a 75 and later for they have stock Rack-N-Pinion, just do it..

Anyway, here is what inspired me. The idea of a 911/912 type ride but not a expensive POS, which is what cars are, holes in the water to just dump money, like any car..lol.. But we have to have them or most do just to manage daily life, so why not have fun? Ok, hope y'all out there are good.. RB

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&a...amp;uact=5
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Got mine registered and took it out for the first time in (drum roll please...) 20 years!

Wow!! Congratulations!! Applause
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

With all these marina blue and black Beetles, I just have to add these photos from today and yesterday:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 109

Jump to: