Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crusty chromies yes or no?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Super patina or super stupid? Would you roll a set like this or not?

This is the worst of the bunch, I have all four caps, two 5.5s and one 4.5
If I come across another 4.5 to complete the set I just might roll em.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

The right amount of natural crust with a nipple hubcap, equal crust, on 135s,145s,165s, is a Top Ten Look. It ranks among Magnesium BRMs. New clean chrome wheels looks fine but not as fine as crusty.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
The right amount of natural crust with a nipple hubcap, equal crust, on 135s,145s,165s, is a Top Ten Look. It ranks among Magnesium BRMs. New clean chrome wheels looks fine but not as fine as crusty.

It is starting to grow on me.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
vaughn bros. wrote:

It is starting to grow on me.

Athlete's foot has a tendency to grow on one too!

Just kidding of course!

I am not however a fan of the just drug in from the barnyard rusted out hulk look. Personal taste I know but just looking at that rim, and if the others are the same with good hub caps and the outer edge and inner part of the rim still in fairly decent shape, I would tape off the outer edge and the good center portion (where the slots are), sand blast the rusty ring in between and paint it to match the color of the body of the car.

You would end up with chrome, paint, chrome, hub cap that I think would clean up the appearance of those rims and look pretty sharp.

Just a thought...
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

add chrome hotrod trim rings that still show the crusty lip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

QRP wrote:

I'd be tempted to blast (or wire-wheel) the inside that's covered by the tire, and paint it gray or silver. That will prevent it from rusting further in areas that you cannot see, and also give your tires a smooth surface to seal against.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

Lemon juice will dissolve rust on chrome!
You will be surprised how much better they look.
Keep them waxed to slow down re-rusting.
My sandblaster wouldn't even touch removing chrome when I tried it on some wheels.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, lotta good ideas.
I'm not a super fan of the overly rusty look myself.
The other 2 rims are in mich better shape chrome wise.
I've already cleaned up the inner part of the rims and gave them a few coats of rust converter.
I've used 00 steel wool with WD40 on rust with good results but I will try the lemon juice trick on this one.

I've been putting off doing to much work on them until I find another 15x4.5 to complete the set.

Thanks
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Crusty chromies yes or no? Reply with quote

Well I finally found a 4.5 to complete the set, thanks to dutchboyvw.
After a really good scrub & buff the really crusty one doesn't look all that bad, since I consider my bug a 10 foot VW anyway its good enough for now.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: