Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Kind Of Idiot ...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

The verdict: Guilty on several counts

The sentence: perform numerous hours of VW community service. Do this while demonstrating humility. Go above and beyond to perform charitable acts without reward or public glory. Go back to every business you recall stealing from and confess to them while offering restitution
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The sentence: perform numerous hours of VW community service. Do this while demonstrating humility.

He harmed the entire community.

Since it was food related, i'd suggest helping those that are food insecure. Like a food drive, working in a food pantry or serving at a food kitchen.

BTW, all of these will go a long way in helping resolve any legal ramifications. I doubt the station owners or district attorney will object to probation if they see him serious about making things right.

Incarceration serves no purpose in this case.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

A friend once said to me in a time where I wasn't sure which direction to head on something important, "If you try to always walk the high road regardless how hard it is, you usually don't wander far from the best path."

I too fail sometimes at making the right decision. We all do. It's how fast we pick up where we left off, make amends, and continue our journey that counts. I wish you well Colin, you have a long journey ahead to a full healing but with prayers and love for, and from others you can achieve it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

Jivermo wrote:

There is another disturbing thing going on here. The fact that there are those who appear to be gleeful, and delighted of Colin’s predicament, really annoys the hell out of me. We are all diminished, and pained by his action, but there are those who absolutely get their rocks off by casting the first stones, and then stooping to pick up another one. Changing your avatars to ice cream and cheese sticks? Really? Colin will pay for his action; your childish attempts at humor show that he is not the only damaged person walking these mean streets.

I see your points here and you stated them well. However, sometimes people reap what they sow. Colin has delighted in picking fights on forums while being snarky, condescending and talking down to people, including people who've paid him to stop at their homes. He's done this for years. This is why his site is a ghost town. His politics, BS and attitude have run everyone away, including me. Many people have elephant memories.

I know you're friends with Colin and are active on his site. You more than many on The Samba have read all his political and social ramblings there. What I found particularly appalling is Colin's massive hypocrisy and double standards. You can't sit up on a high horse condemning everyone around you while preaching your moral superiority for years/decades and then do what he did. We see this daily in our lives from actors, politican's, religious people, etc. It's like a car crash and people can't help but look, watch and of course comment.

Like others, I wish Colin well and expect him to do the right thing finally and make amends for his abhorrent behavior. Clearly he needs to seek counseling.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
aeromech wrote:
The sentence: perform numerous hours of VW community service. Do this while demonstrating humility.

He harmed the entire community.

Since it was food related, i'd suggest helping those that are food insecure. Like a food drive, working in a food pantry or serving at a food kitchen.

BTW, all of these will go a long way in helping resolve any legal ramifications. I doubt the station owners or district attorney will object to probation if they see him serious about making things right.

Incarceration serves no purpose in this case.

I'd second this as serving the homeless/hungry is rewarding in of itself. I worked on building tiny homes this spring and that opened my eyes.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

I hear the point regarding the general community but I believe many times courts will allow professionals to do community service within their specialty.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

Sure but how did it "harm you"? It didn't so to me a moot point. Just as community service picking up roadside garbage is a silly way to rehabilitate someone. Shocked
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

...However, sometimes people reap what they sow. Colin has delighted in picking fights on forums while being snarky, condescending and talking down to people, including people who've paid him to stop at their homes. He's done this for years. This is why his site is a ghost town. His politics, BS and attitude have run everyone away, including me. Many people have elephant memories.

I know you're friends with Colin and are active on his site. You more than many on The Samba have read all his political and social ramblings there. What I found particularly appalling is Colin's massive hypocrisy and double standards. You can't sit up on a high horse condemning everyone around you while preaching your moral superiority for years/decades and then do what he did. We see this daily in our lives from actors, politican's, religious people, etc. It's like a car crash and people can't help but look, watch and of course comment.

Like others, I wish Colin well and expect him to do the right thing finally and make amends for his abhorrent behavior. Clearly he needs to seek counseling.

Well said!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

The punks I wrote about in the locked thread who stole the tip jar which was worth way more to the owner of the coffee shop than cheese sticks or am ice cream sandwich got a standard fine for a misdemeanor. This was pre internet days and if they had a position on anything or had been condescending to anyone no one new it. It was interesting how one of them tried to beat the rap while the other two just pleaded guilty as soon as they saw me in court. The one who tried to beat the rap was the getaway driver, and he had tried to run me over. I was older than video boy though and was smart enough not to stand in front of a car that could kill me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Sure but how did it "harm you"?

it harms all of us. if you've never owned/run/worked in a small business you'll never know.

say retail price for an item is 37.50. you drop said item in your short shorts and casually saunter out to your getaway car. thinking you've now 'stuck it to the man' you have fucked the retailer.

the retailer bought that item in bulk for 29.00. has to pay tax on the building it's in, employees, insurance, maintenance, utilities etc. so that 8.50 per item "profit" is now gone as well as the base price of 29.00. so, it cost the store owner not only lost profits, but lost money for the initial cost of said item.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/shoplifting-store-prices-32325.html

so, in turn loss prevention dictates to make up for that theft, they go up across the board .08% on all items. now lets add the cost of security, security cameras, a paid loss prevention officer (or staff as it were) and there you have it.

so being an asshole only hurts those you come in contact with. being a thief hurts each and every one of us. it's like insurance fraud...the company doesn't eat it...YOU (we) eat it.

https://money.cnn.com/2010/10/18/news/economy/store_theft_drain_on_your_wallet/index.htm

why do you think the internet has better pricing? warehouses can generally control loss a lot better among employees than that of the general public

I have zero sympathy for the entitlement mentality

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

Jivermo wrote:
There is another disturbing thing going on here. The fact that there are those who appear to be gleeful, and delighted of Colin’s predicament, really annoys the hell out of me. We are all diminished, and pained by his action, but there are those who absolutely get their rocks off by casting the first stones, and then stooping to pick up another one. Changing your avatars to ice cream and cheese sticks? Really? Colin will pay for his action; your childish attempts at humor show that he is not the only damaged person walking these mean streets.

I felt exactly the same way, even if it's not shared by most. As if the event that sparked it all hadn't been appalling enough. Even if seeing grown men and women behave like 12-year-old bullies on the Internet is no longer shocking. I personally felt ashamed of being part of this community. Twice.

I can I relate to the shock, anger and frustration in the reaction. But seeing the plain joy of some at seeing someone else falling so low, was just heartbreaking.

wcfvw69 wrote:
I see your points here and you stated them well. However, sometimes people reap what they sow. Colin has delighted in picking fights on forums while being snarky, condescending and talking down to people, including people who've paid him to stop at their homes. He's done this for years. This is why his site is a ghost town. His politics, BS and attitude have run everyone away, including me. Many people have elephant memories.

I respectfully disagree on justifying an eye for an eye. We can do better. I feel that that thread was a lost opportunity to show maturity to him and to the rest of the community.

I'll now go and read some traveling threads to remind myself why I'm still here. Safe travels everyone.

Decode your M-Plate
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

We all pay for shoplifting, credit card and insurance fraud.

If you don't think they pass it along to the consumer, you need to put the bong down.

Also it's not the amount, it's the loss of trust. I'm glad Colin has taken ownership for his acts, something most people these days do not.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

I respectfully disagree on justifying an eye for an eye. We can do better. I feel that that thread was a lost opportunity to show maturity to him and to the rest of the community.

so we are suppose to feel bad for a guy who is self employed, had $$ and a bus worth more than most peoples buses here? um, no. have you seen his collection of cars?

worse yet is 99% of the people that have had shit stolen would say "if they'd asked for it, I would have given it to them"

this wasn't some destitute 20 year old homeless mother (which I still wouldn't condone...but at least she would have had a reason to steal a can of formula)

sorry you feel like everyone here is a letdown. just remember those you think are a letdown you probably got some solid help/advice from over the years.

no such thing as free...ever. "it" cost someone something.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

So. This is one big "say the most profound thing ever to prove a point" deal like the OG thread.

Tomorrow is a new day gents. I wish you all peace, happiness and the occasional mislabeled-hard to find-cheap nos part. Wink Cool

I will never view cheese the same.

Yes Colin I will always make fun. Part of the pennance. A friendly humorous reminder from me wherever the new enlightened path may take you. Pray

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

After years of shop talk and making fun of vanlifers... I think this is the first time the bus forum here has ever touched on what’s really important... people. Glad to see so many people being honest about life especially Donny, who has some very eloquent points (although for some reason much lighter on the F bomb).
And I’ll quote the Bible here in an applicable context.. (edited for exact quote) “Don’t gloat when your enemy falls, and don’t let your heart rejoice when he stumbles, or the Lord will see, be displeased, and turn His wrath away from him.”
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.

Last edited by scrivyscriv on Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

Jivermo wrote:
It’s troubling to see someone you like, and care about, succumb to such a foolish impulse as we see here, with Colin. I’ll not excuse the thievery, and the consequences of this thoughtless act will indeed be severe. His punishment has now begun, and there is a lot more lined up in front of him. I was glad to see him man up, and face his demons, as well as the Medina police department, and the convenience store owner, who I have complete empathy for. Colin is now pilloried, in the town square, and the internet tomatoes and rotten fruits are being thrown at his face.

I cast humor to salve my sorrow but your are 100% on point with this observation, jivermo

If you get a lift from someone you don't agree with politically falling down on moral compass, you are even sicker than COLIN and and also need help.

Pathetic,
Tram
Samba Socialist

Location: Still Feelin' the Bern- Once you've felt it you can't un- feel it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Jivermo wrote:

I felt exactly the same way, even if it's not shared by most. As if the event that sparked it all hadn't been appalling enough. Even if seeing grown men and women behave like 12-year-old bullies on the Internet is no longer shocking. I personally felt ashamed of being part of this community. Twice.

I can I relate to the shock, anger and frustration in the reaction. But seeing the plain joy of some at seeing someone else falling so low, was just heartbreaking.

wcfvw69 wrote:

I'll now go and read some traveling threads to remind myself why I'm still here. Safe travels everyone.

Couldn't agree more. Schadenfreude is not a pretty thing.

Bryan67 wrote:
Just my hands. And a little lube. No tools.

To best contact me, please use the EMAIL function in my profile
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
furgo wrote:
Jivermo wrote:

wcfvw69 wrote:

but it is a German thing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Tram
Samba Socialist

Location: Still Feelin' the Bern- Once you've felt it you can't un- feel it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Tram wrote:
furgo wrote:
Jivermo wrote:

wcfvw69 wrote:

but it is a German thing!

So were a couple other things that weren't pretty. Wink

Bryan67 wrote:
Just my hands. And a little lube. No tools.

To best contact me, please use the EMAIL function in my profile
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kind Of Idiot ... Reply with quote

Equally amazing is the increasing number of people here who seem to have grown up in a cocoon of absolute perfection and righteousness. All you grown-ass men... are you really trying to tell me that all the years that you’ve been on this planet, working in some career, going to school, dealing with other people, etc. that you don’t understand that critical, locker room humor, dark jokes, etc. are all aspects of the human existence? You think that’s juvenile? Read some of the works of the greatest writers of all time discussing humanity in plays, poems or biblical notations. Nothing new or juvenile here... the avatar plays are merely a visual expression of sarcasm... an ancient stamp of the human mind. Did this slip by you?

Garbage in, garbage out. Colin’s endless CHILDISH commentary over the years is simply being served back to him. And it’s not being done mean-spirited or with evil malice.

Colin is getting what he deserves, at just the right amount of seasoning.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: