Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge issue: Cools on 12V not on propane
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Fridge issue: Cools on 12V not on propane Reply with quote

Just back from 2000+ mile exploration of British Columbia. Fridge worked great on first portion of trip but after many miles on rocky, washboard roads my fridge stopped cooling on propane. It cooled very well on 12 volt (fins were frosty) but would not cool when switched to propane. It lit up fine every time but wouldn't cool. I know it was lit because the light on the display panel glowed, the flue vent got warm and I could hear the burner at the vent. Any ideas on what is wrong?
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge issue: Cools on 12V not on propane Reply with quote

I have repaired and serviced many of these refrigerators. Have never experienced your symptoms, my guess is that your not waiting long enough for the unit to cool or your flame combustion box is dirty. With debris in the box the flame can burn and you will get heat but not enough.
I would suggest you remove refrigerator and service.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fridge issue: Cools on 12V not on propane Reply with quote

Westy914 wrote:
Just back from 2000+ mile exploration of British Columbia. Fridge worked great on first portion of trip but after many miles on rocky, washboard roads my fridge stopped cooling on propane. It cooled very well on 12 volt (fins were frosty) but would not cool when switched to propane. It lit up fine every time but wouldn't cool. I know it was lit because the light on the display panel glowed, the flue vent got warm and I could hear the burner at the vent. Any ideas on what is wrong?

I just worked on a fridge with similar symptoms. Worked well on Ac but not on propane.

It lit and the flue got warm but little if any cooling on internal fins. What made it work for me was cleaning the gas jet in the combustion chamber. It was partially clogged.

I’m guessing it allowed some flame but not enough. The flame sound and vent temp went up after cleaning, and it cooled again on propane .

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge issue: Cools on 12V not on propane Reply with quote

X2 on cleaning the jet. Good opportunity to clean everything and maybe add some more fans.
Westy914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge issue: Cools on 12V not on propane Reply with quote

Good points. I did feel like the temp at the vent was a little less than usual. Thanks.

I’ll pull the fridge and clean things up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: