Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

I’m working to diagnose why the lights that illuminate the heat and fresh air indicators in my bus dash are not working. They’re tied in to the lights that illuminate the speedometer and gas gage - which, are working fine. I exchanged the tiny bulbs from the instrument cluster and they work in the speedo/gas gauge but not in the heat/cool light mounts. I’ve cleaned the connections and made sure the ground tabs have contact with the metal mounting plates, etc., but no go.

The frustrating issue is these lights used to work.

What else can I check?

Thanks,
To
Jeff
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Measure both sides of the bulb with a voltmeter, relative to a good body ground. I suspect you'll find the same voltage on both terminals, indicating a faulty ground wire.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Thanks Telford dorr,

Please forgive my lack of electrical diagnostic experience but am I checking the bulbs or their mounting socket? And how does one evaluate the ground issue for these two non working light mounting g clips?

When it comes to this kind of work, I’m at an infant stage.

Thanks
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Please forgive my lack of electrical diagnostic experience but am I checking the bulbs or their mounting socket?

Mounting sockets is good enough.

Quote:
And how does one evaluate the ground issue for these two non working light mounting g clips?

If you measure 12 volts at both connections, then the ground wire is open somewhere.

Quote:
When it comes to this kind of work, I’m at an infant stage.

Not to worry - everybody has to start somewhere...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Thank you. This is helpful. The thing I still can’t get through my head is that the lights work for the speedo/gas gauge and are wired in series to the heat/fresh air sockets. I know the bulbs are working because I’ve swapped them in and out of each clip.

There is one wire that goes from the Non working sockets to the emergency flasher switch but it’s fully connected there.

I’ll work through this but I must admit, this sille little issue is kicking my butt.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
The thing I still can’t get through my head is that the lights work for the speedo/gas gauge and are wired in series to the heat/fresh air sockets

Actually, they are wired in parallel: a gray/red wire comes from terminal 58b on the headlight switch and goes to the center connection on each bulb. The shell of every bulb is grounded, either directly to the metal housing, in the case of the two instrument lights, or via brown wire, in the case of the heater control lights. See columns 26-28 on the schematic.

Quote:
There is one wire that goes from the Non working sockets to the emergency flasher switch but it’s fully connected there.

Yes. That is supposed to make the E-flasher knob glow a little when the headlights are on.

Quote:
I’ll work through this but I must admit, this sille little issue is kicking my butt.

Keep at it - you'll get it.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

I'm still working to resolve the non-working heat/fresh air lights on the dash.

The photo below shows the back of the dash. I know the bulbs are good and I've followed the ground wires and they're connected to the proper spades. How does the grey wire with the red stripes shown in the photo get power? Is it transmitted through the metal plates? (remember I'm a novice when it comes to electricity.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,

Jeff
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
I'm still working to resolve the non-working heat/fresh air lights on the dash.

The photo below shows the back of the dash. I know the bulbs are good and I've followed the ground wires and they're connected to the proper spades. How does the grey wire with the red stripes shown in the photo get power? Is it transmitted through the metal plates? (remember I'm a novice when it comes to electricity.)

Thanks,

Jeff

You need the ground (brown wire) to land on the ground tabs on BOTH of the metal pieces that hold the bulb holders. You also need 12v (grey w/red wire) to BOTH of the bulb holders. It's running in series currently.

The bulb holder in the background has it's wire hooked to the ground tab in the foreground. Tab in the foreground needs a ground.

Or I could be totally wrong and they run the lamps in series to knockdown the output.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Or I could be totally wrong and they run the lamps in series to knockdown the output.

Nope, separate grounds for each lamp, L21 @ track #27 below.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Thanks BusDaddy,

Yes, I've studied the schematic in the Bentley and am still trying to understand how to interpret the information.

For the grey/red wire in the photo, there is a ground wire that runs to the emergency flasher on-off control. And when the head lights are on, this control knob lights up.

For the other grey/red wire that goes to the other bulb (shown in my photo with electrical tape), the brown ground wire runs to the little brake warning light on the dash). And in my case, that brake warning light works properly.

I'm still not sure if I'm missing a ground wire or how else I can diagnose this (very small but slightly frustrating) issue.

Thank You
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Looking at the picture, have you considered that someone has swapped in 1976 a dash panel? That year shows the heater lamps wired in series (click schematic, expand, and see column 30):

That said, it should still work. Assuming the two bulbs are identical, using a voltmeter you should measure 12 volts at the feed wire, 6 volts at the jumper wire and the lower bulb plate, and zero on the brown wire and upper bulb plate (assuming dimmer rheostat set at max brightness, and measured to a good body ground).

Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Thank You for your response telford dorr -

I'll follow your instructions and report back. The most frustrating thing is, these lights used to work. Not sure what happened from then until now.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

You will find something, one of the bulbs, bulb holders, or connections isn't making good contact.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Hold on! Are you guys saying the heater/fresh air diagrams are supposed to light up?! Is this year specific or is this also how it works on my 77?

Other than leds being used is this how that's supposed to look?

whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

these are the dash lights on my 74 after re-connecting the wiring and installing the bulb sockets.

phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Brown ground wire to both tabs, grey/red wire to both bulbs. Dims with the rheostat on the headlight switch just like the rest of the dashlights.

That's how they're wired on my '75 and it works perfectly.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Hold on! Are you guys saying the heater/fresh air diagrams are supposed to light up?! Is this year specific or is this also how it works on my 77?

77-79 only have the small lit placard, the lit arrows and labels are a 73-76 thing.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

Thanks All -

You can see my dash lights and climate control indicators with the non working lights.

I love the LED lights ivwshane, Where does one purchase these?

Also, this photo shows the emergency flasher control knob - it lights up when the headlight switch is on and has a ground wire that connects to the non-working climate control lights.

Being an electrical diagnosis dummy, how can this light work but the climate control lights not?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

That pic wasn’t mine but rather was pulled from the gallery. As for where you can get the leds, once you know the type of bulb it’s just a matter of finding the led equivalent (superbrightleds.com usually has a conversion chart).

When you find what bulb type it is post it here so I can get some too:p
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash lights - heat/fresh air lights Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
once you know the type of bulb it’s just a matter of finding the led equivalent

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: