Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving cross country - I have 3 route options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Blue, green,or red route?
Blue
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Green
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Red
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 20

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Looking good, Tjet! Hope you have a beautiful, uneventful trip. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

I25 and I40 miss all the nice bits of New Mexico. Anyone driving those routes will get a poor impression of an amazing state. At minimum I suggest driving from Santa Fe up through Taos to catch I25 again in Walsenburg Co. You wont even lose any time.
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

YAY for a great road trip! Wish I had time for one.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

So all was going well until i smelled brakes burning. Thank god for aaa plus. Im in western pa. Parts will be here tomorrow. I found a nice hotel room - everything is sold put. Big state fair going on. People around here are super cool. The uber driver that dropped me off at the hotel will take me to get my parts tomorrow....

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/20190923_131306_hdr.570864/full

Sorry dave, no vanagons or busses so far. Not even a rusted out rabbit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I hope the mods here dont get too upset over the non-vw car photos. I will get some VW pics on my journey.

I'd say you should get a VW (or part of one) in every pic! Very Happy

I just noticed your profile says "Brea, CA".

That's literally 5 miles from me - If I could fly like a crow!

Would love to meet when you arrive!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Tjet,
If you have any trouble in/near Denver, let me know. I've got a shop (sheet metal, not auto, but have floor jacks and tools) near 64th and Federal (2 mile north of I-70) where you can do some repairs if needed.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

So to recap the issue i had yesterday: i was going down a steep grade at 75 mph, and i was smelling brakes. Initially, i thought it was the trucks driving down the same hill, in fact i saw one smoking his brakes. Anyway, my steering began to pull hard to the left. I was like "what the hell?" So i exited onto a truck rest area. When i got out, my front driver side brake was smoking bad. I was smelling my brake cooking for 3 miles (doh). Keep in mind, i did not touch my brakes at all down the hill. My engine has high compression. All i need to do is let off the gas in gear.

I pulled off the front wheel ( which i was unable to rotate, btw). I cracked open the bleeder and steam shot out big time. So, i called around to a local autozone that had the caliper i needed. I then called aaa to get towed to az. I replaced it and bled the brakes. All ok...back on the road...

So about 2 hours and 100 miles later, i could smell burning brakes again. I didnt hesitate to exit immediately. When i rolled into a gas station, i noticed it pulled to the right now, with a wisp of smoke coming from that wheel. Once again, i called a local autozone. I ordered the right front caliper and a master cyl. That was yesterday. All the parts came in today and i just finished installing them. Lyft was also a life saver as the took me to autozone and onto where my car was.

At this point, the brakes seem ok. I did notice both brake hoses looked kind of iffy. Im gonna order those tomorrow i pick them up on my route.

With that, im going to change my route and drive south thru OK city....no denver. Sorry guys. I really wanted to stop overnite there and get some brews, but im not so confident on these brakes, and driving down a large mountain concerns me. So i will shoot for I-40 or I-20 now.

Last story: so i buy one of those brake bleeder hand vacuum pumps. It came with a bunch of adapters, etc. Ive never used one, so i decided to read the instructions. It was basicly a collection of notes and phases on how not to use it....in 5 different languages. Kinda funny, i figured it out well enough.....

Pretty happy with Autozone. I also got $20 off with my rewards card. Yeah.

Edit: sorry about all the typos. Im using my phone and i have fat fingers..

Last edited by tjet on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

I love this thread. Here’s hoping for trouble free travels the rest of the way.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I love this thread.

x2! That car looks so good, even on the flatbed.

Safe travels tjet and good on you for taking the southern route!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

So i finnaly made it to Ohio. Brakes working ok now. No weird smells.

Does anyone miss the old dennys?

I thought they were way cooler before they turned them into truck stops.

New
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old

On a side note, its been drinking some fuel. I estimated 13 mpg before i fixed the brakes. Maybe it will get better.

Has anyone seen how big the gas filler hole is on these old vettes?

Take a look....must have been designed by the big block guys.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/20190925_084615_hdr-3.570870/
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:

I'm never going to think "How far back was that sign that said "NEXT GAS 99 MILES"! Shocked Very Happy

Across south central Nevada there is a sign somewhere that reads "Next gas 162 miles", somewhere north east of Tonopah IIRC...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

definately replace the brake hoses if you haven't

in fact EVERYONE should replace their brake hoses.
the old ones fail internally and create a 1 way valve.. like a clogged artery.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Sweet Vette you have there!

Currents tags on original black cali plates it seems?!? Aren't the new black cali plates 7 digits?

Samba ad here.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
definately replace the brake hoses if you haven't

in fact EVERYONE should replace their brake hoses.
the old ones fail internally and create a 1 way valve.. like a clogged artery.

Yeah im gonna call around now for some hoses.

Those are the original plates. The car was originally sold in hawthorn, ca in 1970

Edit: autozone to the rescue again with brake hoses. And my next purchase will have $20 off. Is this a great country or what?

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Hopefully you have some tapes to put in that Alpine tape deck!

Samba ad here.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

So, quick update from the Autozone parking lot in Ohio: the brake hoses were the root cause of my wheels (brakes) locking up ( thanks for the info, Dan) They were completly blocked. The weird thing is everything bled fine before i left CT, and when i did the calipers and master cylinder yesterday in PA

This Autozone also has a rear pair of hoses. So after i take a little break i will do those next....and bleed everything again (5th time).

At least its not raining, and FYI: brake fluid will make ur lips go numb in about 10 seconds when you try to blow thru old hoses
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Little.....red....corvette........I need a love that duralast......

Be safe and let your horses run free....
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

So i finally saw a vintage vw.....in new mexico

No vanagons yet. GPS is giving me a 10pm eta tonite into Orange County. WooooHoo.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving cross country - I have 3 route options Reply with quote

Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: