Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cub Cadet or Deere?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

I am looking at riding mowers for a large yard with some hills. I am not looking at big box disposable types but mid level dealer models. We have a Cub Cadet place down the street with XT2 42" deck and a Kohler 22hp 2 cylinder. https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/xt2-lx42inch/13BPA1CS010.html

The other shop is John Deere and they have a somewhat comparable S240.
https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn-tractors/s240-lawn-tractor-48-in/

Both have a k46 hydrostatic transmission upgrade, both have front wheel bearings, both have front and rear anti-scalp wheels and both have larger double cylinder engines. All things I think are important. Both are also right around the same price I am shooting for.

Regarding reliability and warranties, anyone have some first hand input? I have read reviews, lawn forums, consumer reports, etc but thought I would ask samba as well. Thanks!

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

I bought a JD LX280 with a v twin 18 hp Kawasaki brand new in 03. I have done nothing to that machine....nothing. other than oil changes and maintenance (blades, fluids, spark plugs) in fact I just replaced all of the original belts on it this year and found 2 or 3 idler bearings worn out. 16 years is a pretty good run.

it's stored inside and used year round as I have a snow thrower attachment for it. other than the seat showing some wear I have had 700+ trouble free hours on that machine. fwiw, i'm only on my second battery too.

that was a dealer purchased machine, which is different than the box stores...very little is available from them in terms of belts etc. JD is very very proud of their belts...pretty expensive and odd proprietary sizes but seeing they lasted 16 years the first time, I expect no issues moving forward. I only replaced them because the main drive belt was looking a bit haggard and with my luck it would have broken 7 acres away from the shop so I replaced it.

and I still have the original tires on it too. if my memory serves me, it was about 8k out the door. it was considered a 'garden tractor' so it's size meant that it didn't come with a deck. I got the deck, bagger and snow thrower for that price.

I think mine has the K62. don't buy into the 'lifetime fluid' b/s....it's serviceable. check with tuff torque on the procedure. they are nice folks and have all the info on their site.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

We own two John Deere garden tractors, a 1969 112 and a 1998 425. Both are still in great shape and are used regularly, and I don't intend to replace them--ever. The 112 has no hourmeter but the 425 has 1800 hours.

Parts for Deere equipment are expensive, but we don't need repairs very often. Belts are the main thing.

35 years ago I worked in the parts department at an International Harvester dealership that sold Cub Cadets, and they were also excellent machines. Belts and an odd bearing or two were the most popular Cub parts we sold.

Either way, I recommend going to a dealership for either brand, it makes service when under warranty much simpler. Good luck!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

Make sure the blade spindles have grease fittings. My jd L110 w/42" deck did not.
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

The issue with Cub is that it is now owned by MTD and they make most of the big box lines. The Cub line is their "Cadillac" but having swapped out many parts on past MTD mowers, my trust is not 100%. Anyone have a XT2? Anyone turn wrenches on these machines at a shop or sell parts?

The S240 has been out for a few years and just isn't like those classic model lines of the past. It is though, above the 100 series that they sell at the big box guys. Thanks for the tip about fittings. The 240 seems to have many of these extras. Any S240 owners with feedback about quality?

John Deere and Cub honoring their warranty issues?

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

oc92 wrote:

John Deere and Cub honoring their warranty issues?

what issues are you afraid of?

buying from a dealer is way better than a box store. the store won't give a shit...they always say contact the mfgr.

dealers have to go thru corporate channels to approve/deny warranty. old gas, abuse, lack of maintenance, running over a rock will never get you warranty coverage...ever.

contaminated fuel systems, lack of oil changes and whatnot get you nowhere. lots of times this stuff is submitted for analysis by and outside company (oil/fluids that is)

having said all of that, I bought all of my stuff from the dealer while under warranty...even their (JD) oil. after that I went and bought quality stuff elsewhere. the only thing I still buy are belts from the dealer as I said, I have found them to be proprietary in size and construction.

keep all your receipts and records while under warranty. you seem to think whatever you buy will fail...not sure why. read the warranty...I bet wear items like tires, belts, spindle bearings, blades etc are NOT covered.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

Look for an old JD 318 , cant go wrong.
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

Not so much afraid, just don't want to buy something I could have avoided if I had asked some questions...

Yes, I am definitely patronizing the dealer on this one. And avoiding entry level.

I talked to the Deere guy last week. I will go to Cub this week.

I would love to hear if someone has these specific models.

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

Cub is owned by MTD you might as well go to Walmart and get A Murray it’s same company. I had good luck with commercial grade Deere. Dealer network stands behind them I’m driving a hustler now. Very Happy
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Look for an old JD 318 , cant go wrong.

I’ve got one but just beware the original Onan engine is expensive to own. It is possible to re engine with a V twin Briggs.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

I've never owned either, but I'd say the Cub Cadet with the Kohler engine would be my choice. I've only heard great things about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

I bought my jd for the kohler engine. Done with b@s.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

I know Cub Cadet used to have a warrantee that covered commercial use when a lot of other brands wouldn't. Not sure they still offer that or if JD does or not. I have owned a few CC products now and have had no problems with them. Just do a little preventive maintenance at the end of season, oil changes and that's it.

Just like most other companies have learned from consumers these days, people don't want quality they want cheap disposable items. Cub Cadet may have two lines of products now. Home Depot quality for your big box shopper and a line of dealership quality, might be something to consider asking the dealer when talking to them. Phrase your question carefully, like ask why you can get Cub Cadet cheaper at Home Depot.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

We used to have a Kubota at my parent's house... that thing survived 15+ years (probably closer to 25+).

not sure what the quality is nowadays, but its definately a company i'd look into if i was to buy a riding mower.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

Between the two choices that you posted, I would choose the JD with the Hydro/automatic drive over the Cub Cadet with the 'heavy duty belt' engine to transmission drive system. Just an opinion from a 20+ year golf course superintendent...there is a small equipment mechanic that works here with me.

If the yard and slopes are big enough:

https://www.ventrac.com/industries/estate

+unmatched versatility
+2 year commercial warranty.

-None of the dreaded Tier IV Diesel disadvantages but very thirsty and can't do an 8 hour shift on a full tank of gasoline.

But you could probably buy 2 each Cub Cadet and John Deere for the price of the Ventrac. Laughing
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

mellowslow wrote:
Between the two choices that you posted, I would choose the JD with the Hydro/automatic drive over the Cub Cadet with the 'heavy duty belt' engine to transmission drive system. Just an opinion from a 20+ year golf course superintendent...there is a small equipment mechanic that works here with me.

Both the mowers linked are running a Tuff Torq K46 transaxle - a hydro trans belt driven off the engine.
If you want shaft drive you're paying quite a bit more for a garden tractor (and on this size machine it really doesn't matter, the wheels will lose traction long before the belt slips).

The Cub is running a Kohler, Deere has a Kawasaki engine (neither are running a Briggs)

The Deere has a 48" deck vs the Cub's 42"
A smaller deck can actually cut nicer if you have uneven ground, but the larger deck will do it faster.

Only thing that'd concern me is the hills with that K46, depending how steep they are.
But the dealer will steer you in the right direction.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
mellowslow wrote:

Both the mowers linked are running a Tuff Torq K46 transaxle - a hydro trans belt driven off the engine.
If you want shaft drive you're paying quite a bit more for a garden tractor (and on this size machine it really doesn't matter, the wheels will lose traction long before the belt slips).

The Cub is running a Kohler, Deere has a Kawasaki engine (neither are running a Briggs)

The Deere has a 48" deck vs the Cub's 42"
A smaller deck can actually cut nicer if you have uneven ground, but the larger deck will do it faster.

Only thing that'd concern me is the hills with that K46, depending how steep they are.
But the dealer will steer you in the right direction.

Oh wow. Guess I should stick with the big stuff. Funny, the Deere website not mentioning the belt, but nothing stinks like a John anyway Laughing

Sucks that it costs so much to buy anything with more than a belt drive and zero turns are fast but they are scary on hills.
JDMbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

I have a john deere LA145, it was one of Deeres cheaper models from 2009. even though the spindles have stared to go on the front wheels, it's yet to fail me.

The Cub Cadet my stepdad had burst into flames after he pulled it back into the garage, the fire happened because the PLASTIC gas tank sat above the hot engine, A crack formed which lead to it pouring gas on the engine after it shut off. this resulted in months of my family living in a hotel.

(note the Cub Cadet was the same age as the john Deere)

so yeah...I like john deere
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

Burst into flames huh? That's a pretty convincing argument!

Does John Deere use the same Chinese bearings for pulleys like the other guys?
Do the Deere ones go through steering gears somewhat often?
Deere decks rust through after a while in humid conditions like the others too?

My three main gripes....

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
JDMbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cub Cadet or Deere? Reply with quote

Quote:
Does John Deere use the same Chinese bearings for pulleys like the other guys?

I have replaced one of the drive belt pulleys to the transmission, it was replaced because the plastic belt guiding pice around the bearing cracked, the bearing itself was fine.

Quote:
Do the Deere ones go through steering gears somewhat often?

I actually just replaced the steering gears for the first time this year, it also wasn't that hard to do. sidenote: this was after 10 years of ownership.

Quote:
Deere decks rust through after a while in humid conditions like the others too?

It doesn't get that humid in NY, but other than a little surface rust in areas where the paint has gotten scraped off due to my own stupidity, the deck has yet to rot through.

other info:
its got a V-twin Briggs
A 48-inch deck
the mower is used from April to October, about once a week
the plastic hood bits and headlights are all still intact after many years
the left front tire loses air after a little while (this is probably my fault)
I've used it to pull my beetle when it doesn't run. (probably not good for the transmission but it works)

The stuff I don't like:
cup holder gets full of grass clippings sometimes.
the plastic clips that hold the wire for the headlights started to pop-out and go missing. (zip ties to the rescue)

so yeah, for an economy model bought at Lowes I'm happy with it.
hope I was able to answer your questions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: