Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

There are a couple good threads on this general topic, including in the FAQ. But in going through an accumulated pile of coolers; to find a proper candidate that I need; I learned the following:

Here are three oil coolers:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#1 is date coded 9/68 with no part number stamped on it
#2 is date coded 4/70 with part number 311 117 021B
#3 is date coded 11/70 with part number 311 117 021B

So #1 has 8mm holes, and #2 and #3 have 10mm holes; as expected.

Here is a close up of the difference in hole size:

Looking at the side view, I noticed something that I had not seen documented:

Lets look closely at a difference between #2 and #3:

It seems that he number of fins changed from 76 to 58 starting with the '71 model year.
With no change in part number suffix.

So earlier coolers had 76 fins even through the change in hole size, and then they changed to 58 fins.

I can attest that it is easier to clean the dirt and grease out of a 58 fin unit. Smile

And note that the larger "type 4" coolers also have 58 fins.

While I was at it, I took a picture of the other bits that get discussed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Oil Coolers-Some additional comments Reply with quote

Fantastic thread, thank you!

Should be a sticky. Cool

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

This is a informative post.
So which would be a better cooler the 58 or 76 fin? I would think the 58 would flow more air then the 76.
pre cleaning the nasty cooler

Then after cleaning and soaking and cleaning some more

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
This is a informative post.
So which would be a better cooler the 58 or 76 fin? I would think the 58 would flow more air then the 76.

I think the 76 would cool the oil more while being slightly more restrictive for airflow.

However VW seems to know what they are doing, maybe they went to the smaller 58 fin design for a specific reason. Question

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

Here are the rest of the misc parts that are involved.

And some details about thread pitch:

And how the Adapter Block is stacked:

Last edited by OKType3Tim on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

This is the process I used to test my collection of Type 3 Oil Coolers:

I used my tap to clean up the boss threads:

I used a small 10mm x 1.00mm pitch plug to plug the boss. You can find this plug in your pile of parts left from taking some solex carburetors apart:

I used a dab (end of a q-tip amount) of Gasoila on the threads, along with a used 10mm sealing washer.

I gathered up the bolts and washers need to attached the pressure testing plate:

Attached the testing plate:

A bit of liquid dishwashing type soap where the schrader valves contact the aluminum to help that interface seal.

The Blue Bentley indicates a test pressure of 85psi. I figured 60psi was good enough. So pressured up the unit and set it down underwater in the sink. Swished it around to get any trapped air out of the fins. After several minutes with no evidence of air streaming from the unit, I felt it was good:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

Installation:
From the FAQ regarding Oil Seals; I know what the correct combination answer is. But, I'll go through 4 different scenarios to demonstrate.

The Blue Bentley, the Brown Bentley, the Haynes, and the Clymer manuals can all lead you down a bad installation path if you are not aware of the details in the Oil Seal FAQ and what is shown below. All of these manuals make a point that you should install the oil cooler Spacer Rings and the Deflector Plate.

I have a later model case (U50304920) that has 10mm oil passages in the case, with a 58 fin, 10mm oil passage oil cooler. From the Oil Seal FAQ we know that I should use the thin red 021 115 171A seals, omit the spacer rings, and I add-omit the deflector plate. Here's why:

Four scenarios:

===========
Scenario #1 has the deflector shield and the spacer rings:

Installing the oil cooler we see that the deflector plate is holding the oil cooler up off the seal. The thin top piece of the deflector plate that is above the flange is just slightly thicker than the spacer rings:

(Sorry for the out of focus picture, by the time I realized it was too late and I had moved on.)

Maybe there is a deflector shield that doesn't have the top section? I don't have, nor have seen one made that way; and a third style deflector plate isn't documented in any of the literature I have access to.

Well, that's not going to work.

===========
Scenario #2 has the spacer rings, but no deflector plate:

We see that the rings hold the oil cooler up off the seal:

This scenario isn't going to work.

===========
Scenario #3 has no spacer rings and no deflector plate:

However, there is a slight tilt to the cooler to seal interface with just a hint of gap:

That might work, but seems less than ideal.

===========
Scenario #4 has a standard thickness 6mm washer on the stud that passes through the nose of the oil cooler:

This results in a nice even compression of the seal:

The oil cooler is down tight against the flange:

The main bolts are stacked with a washer on top, a washer on the bottom, a spring washer on the bottom and a self locking nut (not one with plastic insert):

The nose of the oil cooler is down snug on the washer:

The gap between the case and the oil cooler seems consistent:

Link

I note that the bottom side of the oil cooler nose boss is chewed up from previous installations. If I had a perfect cooler; maybe the washer would not have been needed.

For now, I'm satisfied with the installation. I'll report back if issues occur.

As always, comments and/or questions are welcome.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

I have two coolers one original off my 73 and one off a 72. Both have the 10 mm case and cooler. I assume the plug from the carb is just for testing the cooler for leaks. I also noticed the seals you have are the ones used for this set up , the new ones you used I noticed a bit of rubber flash one the seals hole, The older ones didn't have this. . I imagine both the coolers I have have less fins , I never knew there was any difference. My 73 came with the pressure switch adapter with the copper seals yet it has a bit of an angle where the pressure sender threads in.

I did notice it does seem easy to damage the cooler where it sets on the case since each bolt hole has a bit of a built in washer for lack of a better word. You used a washer to level yours , smart.
I haven't had mine off since 97 when I rebuilt the engine and as you said the books are not very clear on what seal to use and in 97 I had no PC . I just used the thin red 10 mm seals and placed the spacers on top of the cooler bolts and I forgot to install the two long bolts from the bottom and already had the heads on.

Since mine is fuel injected I was going to replace them while I had the runners off yet didn't since I didn't want to deal with the fuel injected wire harness . With carbs it seems so much easier.

Great job on the write up and photo's this will help many who are dealing with a rebuild who are doing it them self or just dealing with the cooler and seals.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

This issue.....this question of "spacer" or washer....between case and cooler...or on the outside under the nut.....has been rattling around for ages. It also not just a type 1/type 3 thing. It a type 4 thing too.

I have seen both type 3's and type 4's that came ...KNOWN to be un-disturbed from the factory with the spacer (and it IS a spacer) between oil cooler and case...and on the outside of the oil cooler....and both were correct and neither leaked.

Here is the same thread and discussion on type 4 engines. If you want to see my pictures and analysis...drop to the last page...where I think this link takes you.

Anyone who tells you ...authoritatively....that its ONLY correct...when installed one way...is full of sh*t. Wink
Too many differences in coolers and cases. I believe the factory included these spacers in the install kit to be used as the cooler and case dimensions required upon assembly.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352137&start=40

Ray
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

I didn't use the spacer washers on my 73 and the cooler was on the stock engine from 85 to 97 12 years and looked like this.

It's about 40 % compressed compared to a new seal of the same brand.

I still have it , it never split and is still to this day flexible. I used the same cooler on a 72 case and looking with a mirror and flashlight they look about the same. I didn't see any difference it the cases at all one the original was an X this one the 72 is a U.

I have no idea who made these yet even as old as they are and the unused ones are they are still flexible. I know I first set the seals in place these are the 10mm case and cooler and then placed the spaces then the cooler and could see it would never compress let alone seal.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I didn't use the spacer washers on my 73 and the cooler was on the stock engine from 85 to 97 12 years and looked like this.

It's about 40 % compressed compared to a new seal of the same brand.

I still have it , it never split and is still to this day flexible. I used the same cooler on a 72 case and looking with a mirror and flashlight they look about the same. I didn't see any difference it the cases at all one the original was an X this one the 72 is a U.

I have no idea who made these yet even as old as they are and the unused ones are they are still flexible. I know I first set the seals in place these are the 10mm case and cooler and then placed the spaces then the cooler and could see it would never compress let alone seal.

Yep....as I noted in the thread in that link I posted.....its about both the cooler dimensions and sometimes (at least on type 4) about the case dimensions as well. You can end up witn a cooler that needs the spacers between itself and the case....and it can need them on "virtually" every case you attache it to. It means the cooler isbuilt ib a specific way.

Then one day you put it on a case....and it cant seal the seals.....and needs the spacers taken out. Its probably the case thats different. Ray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I assume the plug from the carb is just for testing the cooler for leaks.

Yes, The plug is handy during clean-up, testing, and installation. (And thanks to Erik L. for putting me on to using that plug.)
When you are done:

Including using the correct non-tapered oil cooler switch with a sealing ring.
Every used oil cooler that came my way with a switch installed, had the (wrong) tapered-switch, which is only caught by two threads, or has been cranked down into the cooler to the point of fouling up the threads in the oil cooler boss.

blues90 wrote:
and I forgot to install the two long bolts from the bottom and already had the heads on.

Yes, interesting that the Type 3 parts book (with supplements) shows them installed with the bolts going down. The Haynes has a drawing showing them going up. From the factory----I don't know.

And one other note on cleaning up. You can get the product in this picture from your local HVAC store. The HVAC guys use it to clean the coils in your home air conditioner unit. (it says no rinse for the intended purpose, but for this purpose, ---Rinse!)

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

I wish vw used threaded studs like the T-4 engine used.I see no reason they used bolts and nuts. It could be done simply by installing threaded inserts in the two holes then fit double threaded rods in place.

About three months ago I had the runners off and now wish I had replaced the cooler seals . I can see because I wiped the top of the case off there is wet oil near the cooler seals mostly by the front most seal , it's not the cooler that leaks. The leak didn't look bad when I did the work because the oil was dry yet once I wiped the case top around the cooler down I can't see it new oil . I just didn't want to deal with fighting all that's needed to remove the left upper tin just to remove the cooler. Now I wish I had.
mkirker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

Hi Everyone:

Hope you are having a good day.

I just bought a 72 VW Fastback and am having trouble finding a oil cooler.

Does anyone know where i can get one.

Tried the usual places, local vw store, jbugs, partsgeek and rockautol.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

mkirker wrote:
Hi Everyone:

Hope you are having a good day.

I just bought a 72 VW Fastback and am having trouble finding a oil cooler.

Does anyone know where i can get one.

Tried the usual places, local vw store, jbugs, partsgeek and rockautol.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.

It's hard to find new ones.

Here are some used/NOS ones:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

used is going to be your best bet. classifieds or ispwest if they have em

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:

Also try MOFOCO for good tested used ones.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:

Also try MOFOCO for good tested used ones.

Yep, I have pallet boxes FULL of type 3 oil coolers.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

Quote:

how many type 3 motors do you get orders for every year Roy?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Coolers - Some additional comments Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:

how many type 3 motors do you get orders for every year Roy?

Not many. I build maybe 10 longblocks for type 3's per year and do 1-2 complete rebuilds.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: