Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint? Reply with quote

Picking up my Bus next week with a brand new paint job and I'm putting my VWoA 3/4 rack on top as soon as I can for multiple reasons. I just picked up some plasti-dip to coat the feet and clamps with, but I'm wondering if anybody has any better ideas on how to keep the rack of boogering up my new paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint? Reply with quote

use rubber hose over the feet, and plastic dip (thick) the clamps as you mention.

get a few people to help you set the rack on the bus. Pull the feet down into the gutter tight, then tighten the clamp. Don't use the clamp to suck the feet down (if they are held up the roof skin at all). Make sure all the clamps are tight, as the rack will wiggle slightly in the wind, or with a load on it, and scuff the paint over time.

but ultimately they will show signs of wear eventually...
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint? Reply with quote

Thanks, Sled!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint? Reply with quote

You could also buy some of the 3M clear protective film and lay it in the gutter and under where the clamps attach. The film can be removed and replaced as needed and no damage to your paint, even over time, should occur.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...rack+clamp
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint? Reply with quote

I've used plati-dip and it works great. Be sure to apply in thin coats. A heavy coat will shrink and lift. I also use it on my motorcycle brake/clutch levers and other things.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint? Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
You could also buy some of the 3M clear protective film and lay it in the gutter and under where the clamps attach. The film can be removed and replaced as needed and no damage to your paint, even over time, should occur.

Gordo.

This is the best answer (though coat the rack parts of course). The idea is to have the protection on the surface that's fixed. The rain gutters aren't going anywhere- but the rack is shimmying around ever-so slightly all the time.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep roof rack feet/clamps from scratching new paint? Reply with quote

Unfortunately, every repainted bus I've encountered has "weak" paint when compared to original paint. I would expect some damage no matter what you do, though the suggestions above will help to minimize it.
The original factory paint was some tough sh*t!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: