Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the driver's side dome light different in a Westfalia?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Is the driver's side dome light different in a Westfalia? Reply with quote

Quick question. I am finishing my Syncro tin top to Westfalia conversion and the dome light by the driver's door appears to be too short to fit in the Westfalia headliner.

I am pretty certain that the hole in the Westfalia headliner that I have installed is original. It has the metal and rivet tabs on each side.

I am looking online but just finding one dome light for pretty much all VW's up to 1991. I think this is the same shorter one as I have.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/bulbs-sockets/25144/dome-light-led-bulb?v=

https://www.busdepot.com/823947105b

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is there a different dome light for a Westy? Or am I just hallucinating?

(Here is a picture from TheSamba).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is the dome light different in a Westfalia (by the driver's door Reply with quote

its just much harder to install into a plywood panel and the metal cutout together than the metal cutout and vinyl roof (probably you should clip only into the plywood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is the dome light different in a Westfalia (by the driver's door Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
its just much harder to install into a plywood panel and the metal cutout together than the metal cutout and vinyl roof (probably you should clip only into the plywood.

Actually, my problem is the opposite. The one I have won't fit in the hole because it's too short. So it falls down.

But reading your comment, I am assuming that it should be the same dome light as a regular tin-top. So maybe there is something wrong with mine (broken tab perhaps).

I will just order a new one.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is the dome light different in a Westfalia (by the driver's door Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I have a vague memory of a stamped sheetmetal bracket between the headliner board and the vans sheetmetal. It’s very vague.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the dome light different in a Westfalia (by the driver's door Reply with quote

Just some closure on this. i found the issue.

My light was missing the metal tab (clip) on the opposite side from the switch - the two spares I had as well!

I ordered a new one and voila!

izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the driver's side dome light different in a Westfalia? Reply with quote

Try these LEDs in your domes. They are super bright and throw warm light.

https://tinyurl.com/vj4e4yl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the driver's side dome light different in a Westfalia? Reply with quote

You really should try to find a Mk2 dome light with the delay feature. Fits and looks just like stock

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the driver's side dome light different in a Westfalia? Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
Try these LEDs in your domes. They are super bright and throw warm light.

https://tinyurl.com/vj4e4yl

Yes that's what I put in there. Much nicer.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the driver's side dome light different in a Westfalia? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You really should try to find a Mk2 dome light with the delay feature. Fits and looks just like stock

Thanks - I will keep that in mind for the future. Still too much to do on the van...
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the driver's side dome light different in a Westfalia? Reply with quote

I came up with this version to drastically improve light output...

https://uniwerksdesign.com/product/door-light-vanagon/

It's been a real hit with customers. Wink

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the driver's side dome light different in a Westfalia? Reply with quote

Hi,

Got the same led festoon lights in my van, couple of tips...

If you can, add a drop of solder to the appropriate spots on end of festoon. Helps to stop them rotating around with driving vibrations.

Second, I notice they are very sensitive, or should I say they are sensitive to poor connection at the door switches, the actual contacts there. They can flicker when poor ground.

I’ve got the golf/jetta delay unit on drivers side light. It does work fine with the leds.

Cheers

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: