Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories!
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacoby1007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

Hello,

I searched but didn't really see this from what came up, link if there is one.

I am moving to PA from CA (family is in PA) and I am taking a CA native 74 Westy back to rusty Lancaster PA. I had someone today tell me I am crazy and it is going to rust away. I was planning on not driving when it is snowing (salt) and keeping it rather dry with some use in the rain. I would keep it in the garage, keep it parked over plastic and maybe even have a dehumidifier in the garage.

What is the general thought on this? I am sure plenty of people have classics in the area and they are just fine. My parents neighbors have a nice '76 MGB and it looks as good as it did new. They also only drive it on sunny days.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

Here's the local van/bus club. Plenty of surviving classics.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/valleyvanagons/
jacoby1007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

Nice, I didn't know they were around. Thanks!
zmichael84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

Just checking in... current Californian, born in Lancaster, PA, raised in York.

Good luck with the move! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

Born and raised here. We have a small collection of cars. They only see snow when I go in the garage in the winter. The big issue here is the salt. If you avoid that, then your car will last as long here or longer. Plus we don't have an ocean and the salt water.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacoby1007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

zmichael84 wrote:
Just checking in... current Californian, born in Lancaster, PA, raised in York.

Good luck with the move! Cool

Thanks! Have the place here in PA but going back to LA to pack up next week. Shipping the bus back Oct 1st, cant wait to drive it again!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Born and raised here. We have a small collection of cars. They only see snow when I go in the garage in the winter. The big issue here is the salt. If you avoid that, then your car will last as long here or longer. Plus we don't have an ocean and the salt water.

^^^^this^^^^

If the vehicle is garage kept, and NEVER taken out during the Winter months, you won’t have any issue. PA not only uses salt, but a liquid brine salt as well. These two items will turn roadways white with a layer of “salt dust”. This is almost as bad as driving in the wet stuff, so don’t be tempted to take a spin on a “dry” day in February. I wait until the last snow/salt application has been put down, then I need to have about two weeks worth of rain to fully wash all the residue off the roads. Usually this period is about late Nov. till mid April.

Look into Fluid Film for your daily driven vehicles. It’s not uncommon to have a 2010-2012 vehicle need new brake/fuel lines from them being corroded by the brine solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

Body cavity oil spray or Fluid Film for a daily driver or weekend driver. "Scraping and painting" or anything that is painted on will never protect like a self-healing oil coating that keeps flowing into seams. With Fluid Film, you get a fresh re-flow on hot summer days and the oil "Wicks" it's way into welded seams like no paint can. People mention the smell of Fluid Film, but the smell dissipates quickly in my experience and just leaves a nice greasy, waxy coating.

You need a greasy, oily coating on everything unless someone is judging the underside of a car in a show or something.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

If you like Fluid Film but not the smell look into Woolwax. It is a little thicker than Fluid Film but virtually no smell. A couple of days ago I spent the better part of the day spraying the underside of my new 2020 RAM.
https://www.kellsportproducts.com/

Olli
keg184
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving CA Westy to PA, rust horror stories! Reply with quote

jacoby1007 wrote:
Hello,

I searched but didn't really see this from what came up, link if there is one.

I am moving to PA from CA (family is in PA) and I am taking a CA native 74 Westy back to rusty Lancaster PA. I had someone today tell me I am crazy and it is going to rust away. I was planning on not driving when it is snowing (salt) and keeping it rather dry with some use in the rain. I would keep it in the garage, keep it parked over plastic and maybe even have a dehumidifier in the garage.

What is the general thought on this? I am sure plenty of people have classics in the area and they are just fine. My parents neighbors have a nice '76 MGB and it looks as good as it did new. They also only drive it on sunny days.

I have a rust free car from California and live in Lancaster, PA. I do not drive the car in the rain or snow and it remains rust free.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: