Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building New classic manx 52
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Building New classic manx 52 Reply with quote

manxnc53 wrote:
... lights would be slightly aimed up and out, instead of straight back.

You could do something like @Hot Air did, recess them:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or, build a little housing like I did for my high-mounted center brake light:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714866

An easier way to go would be cutting some 4" diameter PVC pieces to fit. I've seen PVC pipe available in white or black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Building New classic manx 52 Reply with quote

If you look at the Chevy HHR taillights, you could use them mounted the correct way they'll point in the correct direction and lay flat... just an idea. I I picked up a pair for my Buggy and they're just rght for the angle. I made fibreglass pods they fit in to glass into the body and mount them.

I might be selling my buggy though, so, I probably won't finish it to post pics...

Or use the pvc pipe and mold the ones you posted into the fiberglass...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxnc53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Building New classic manx 52 Reply with quote

I'm not skilled enough to do really anything with fiberglass. I considered building some buckets out of sheet metal, how ever I live in an apartment while the car sits in my shop AKA a storage unit. So I'd have to build them at work, there for I couldn't take my sweet time and make them perfect as I prefer to do. Besides I still have so much to do as it is. Remount the body then fabricate horn trusses, light brace's and reinforce the fuel tank. I'm actually a little overwhelmed. I know all I need to do is just do it but all I have is a florescent light much less a 230V 50A circuit for my welder. The poor car has sat for all most a year now and I refuse to quit. Hell I can hardly quit a job no matter how much I hate it. It's just not the way I'm built.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Building New classic manx 52 Reply with quote

Ok then, have you ruled out the stock Beetle tail lights that fit Manx? You could use LED bulb replacements.

https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-98-2023-left-tail-light-assembly-1962-67-vw-bug-euro-style-lens/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxnc53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Building New classic manx 52 Reply with quote

Not entirely, my understanding is that the 60's lights are preferred. Though I kind of like the late style. Something about the big goofy lights, for me at least, lends them selves really well to the styling of the manx. Truth be told, I intend on romping the hell outta this car off road and the LED trailer lights are perfect. There cheap, light, durable and ment for boat trailers and are fully submersible. IE they are 100% mud proof. I'v been trying to find a picture of some ones buggy running to same lights. So I know how it's going to look before I cut massive holes in my new body.
manxnc53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Building New classic manx 52 Reply with quote

Holly hell! It's been a trip the past several months. I changed jobs and moved. My new place has a garage, so back to work on the buggy.

So I fixed one mess up and remounted the body. I bought a junk frame from a friend's shop. Had to replace the frame head base plate, nepoleon's hat and of course the pans. When I fitted and welding the hat. It was bowed in. I couldn't tell until I fitted the body. At that point the frame was completed, special coatings, bed liner, the works. So I had to cut the forward lip on the body to get it to fit. In doing so it left a obvious gap between the body and frame. Fuck that gap it's gone.

manxnc53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Building New classic manx 52 Reply with quote

So I went ahead and ordered tail lights. There 62-67 bug lights and LED retrofit kits. I'm not ready for electrical work yet but I need rear lights to flat tow the car to work.

I'v also started building the front end and head light supports. I'm using 2"x 1/4" flat bar for the bracing. Then a really convoluted way to mount the lights them selves. I'm confident that my design will more than support the weight of a full tank. Though I cringe at the idea of the factory bug tabs to hold down the fort of the tank. I'v built the brace to use four of them across to leading edge of the tank.

Does any one have insight on a better way to hold the tank?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: