Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

I've got to perform a front wheel bearing replacement and greasing job this weekend; one of my bearings has just gone bad so I'm going to be inspecting and re-greasing/replacing all. In other threads, there are links to the nuts that are the Mercedes-style that have a locking collar rather than the peen-over style.

Does someone have a part number or thread-and-size style or link to what model is required? I see the links to pages that have these sorted by Mercedes model years but not the exact model. Thanks.

EDIT: 1983 VW Vanagon 2.0 AC. 2WD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

Also interested insane part for my 87. Are they the same for all Vanagon 2wd? Tx.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

i got a couple but didn't use them yet, this is the part number of what i bought, they DON'T come with bolts.
P/N: MB-1163340372

619 201 0310
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681178
page 2 is where the real fun begins.
Mercedes Axle Nut 1163340372
bobbyblack wrote:
okay, back to knowing where my nuts are!!!
(again, from the link djkeev listed)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681178
page 2 is where the real fun begins.
Mercedes Axle Nut 1163340372
bobbyblack wrote:
okay, back to knowing where my nuts are!!!
(again, from the link djkeev listed)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So then that brings up two other issues:

The SKU I bring up is for PN #1163340372 for the nut itself without a bolt (as shown in the photo). Is there one that comes with the bolt as well or do I source that separately?

TWO: I *thought* the spindles were threaded differently, one left hand thread and one right hand thread. Am I getting this wrong on a Vanagon? If threading is different, is there another PN I should order?

Sorry, this just got immediately complicated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

If you click on and read the link you will find that you need the bolts which are sold separately, and you want GOOD bolts.... hence the Fastenal bag in the photo.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If you click on and read the link you will find that you need the bolts which are sold separately, and you want GOOD bolts.... hence the Fastenal bag in the photo.

Dave

Good, got that out of the thread and there is a good fastener shop in town to source top quality bolts.

Second question, can I just order QTY 2 of these or are there RH and LH threads?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

just Qty 2, both same threads
only 1 part#
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front wheel bearing lock nut size or part number? (Mercedes) Reply with quote

fishgo wrote:
I've got to perform a front wheel bearing replacement and greasing job this weekend; one of my bearings has just gone bad so I'm going to be inspecting and re-greasing/replacing all. In other threads, there are links to the nuts that are the Mercedes-style that have a locking collar rather than the peen-over style.

Does someone have a part number or thread-and-size style or link to what model is required? I see the links to pages that have these sorted by Mercedes model years but not the exact model. Thanks.

EDIT: 1983 VW Vanagon 2.0 AC. 2WD.

UPDATE 9/28: Got the lock nuts and proper sized bolts and tackled the bearing and race replacements today. That Mercedes lock down nut is nice. Got 10 miles in so far and nothing seems amiss. Thanks everyone for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: