Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

As with all things it depends. We have both. The VW Westy has more useable interior space.The MB is safer, having all of the modern safety features. The MB is quieter, faster and easier to drive, especially for the wife. The overall cost is much much higher in several respects.
I nearly always drive the VW Westy it is simply more fun.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
I nearly always drive the VW Westy it is simply more fun.

And there you have it in a nutshell, for most of us I'd imagine. I've put >$25K into my Westy in recent years, with a few more $$ to go on upholstery. I could afford a MB, if I wanted one. I don't, I want my Westy in great shape, that's the vehicle I find fun to drive. Sure most people think I'm nuts, but why should I care?
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

There was a video by Doug Demuro about what a crappy overpriced van the Metris is....

https://youtu.be/JRhvnlQHKc0

I prefer the Sprinter. Or my Vanagon!
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Royb wrote:
There was a video by Doug Demuro about what a crappy overpriced van the Metris is....

https://youtu.be/JRhvnlQHKc0

After the economics lesson, try this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8kHgmZIiQ .
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

I’ve looked at the Metris in person, it is not a minivan, it is a cargo van fitted with passenger seats. That review is a ridiculous comparison, would someone shopping for an Odyssey really cross-shop a Metris?

I was really impressed how truck-like the Metris is and the similarities to the Vanagon. If they offered the Marco Polo in the USA I would buy one with that sweet Westfalia interior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

This thread and others like it remind me of when I was at this party with my VW friends. Drinking, eating having a good time.... A friend of a friend who wasn't a VW guy starts talking about the Broncos or some sports related subject. Instantly my buddy Wayne opens the VW magazine on the counter, points to a Bus and says 'No, this is what we talk about here'.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
This thread and others like it remind me of when I was at this party with my VW friends. Drinking, eating having a good time.... A friend of a friend who wasn't a VW guy starts talking about the Broncos or some sports related subject. Instantly my buddy Wayne opens the VW magazine on the counter, points to a Bus and says 'No, this is what we talk about here'.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/

It’s as bad as EuroBus people posting in the real VW Fora. Kick them out, I say.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
I am not even certain $70 covers it.

The base cargo Metris is about $33k

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehiclede...Type=alpha

The Peace Vans base conversion is $40k

You are at $73k absolute bottom.
Then add a few options (either on the van or the camper conversion) and taxes.

You are closer to $85k-90k

I am getting old perhaps but that sounds totally insane to me.

Whats crazy is that all over the rocky mountains I see so many brand new sprinter camper vans, and they pretty much start at $100k, baffling really.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

There something like 15,000 RVs sold every year in the 100,000-300,000USD RANGE
flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

My Westy if for keeps, If I had the money it will be the recon campers, but the Westy is never going to go away from me or family.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There something like 15,000 RVs sold every year in the 100,000-300,000USD RANGE

74.1M baby boomers born between 18 years of 1946 - 1964. That's 4.1M people each year. 15K RVs is about a third of 1% just from the boomer population. I'm surprised it's not a lot more.

I'm on a plane right now with a a friend who's picking up a 2020 Winnebago 4WD Revel in Forest City, IA. Pics later this week.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

I’m surprised it’s not more

401ks are maxed out
Money is cheap
We can consult for 3x what they paid us to pay gas and groceries and tax deduct it to no tax status
SOcial security is locked in , unlike the next ten who are SOL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: