Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripping her off - 1957 Oval
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

I dunno, it's just annoying, had no problem bleeding anything... front, rear, nothing frozen, all opened & closed (easily) after bleeding everything, twice!

After, everything felt nice at the pedal & then just went around the block and still felt great but, as I got back to the driveway? I thought I'd slam the pedal hard to see if they'd lock up (the way they used to). Soon as I nailed the pedal, pressure dropped off by half... pointed back right into the garage... scratched my head for a second & then saw the fluid drips on the driveway and simply followed it right back to the broken bleeder screw that sat exactly where I mashed the brake pedal full on... ...kinda glad where it happened instead of going 50mph on a highway again...

I dunno, after a little reading.. With having discs up front & drums in the rear and the new DC master it sounds like I might need a proportional valve for the rears... Possibly?

... I've never heard of that or had to do that before.

EDIT:
I suppose the upside is I got the broken 1/2 out without a hassle this morning... But, the only person in my area that would have one laying around is out of town this weekend.. Guess i'll not make the NIVA Crystal Lake show tomorrow Crying or Very sad
...Think I'll just drive the truck over, say hi & scrounge up a couple in the swap area... crap, I shouldn't of said that, the vendors will probably read this and raise the price of early bleeder screws ... LOL
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Finally! On the road again : )

...But it kinda sucks, had to go back to the original single circuit master. No matter what I did with the dual circuit master, it's pressure was too high at the rears & kept pushing excess out the rear drum cylinders when hammering the brake pedal hard... ...or leaked from the bleed screws on the jack stands...

Needless to say, I now have a completely different pre-flight checklist before I ride anywhere now... Nice to be back on the road... Despite driving season is closing fast.

My fearless navigator...

PS: And as usual, it takes 20 minutes to get gas... First some guy with a beautiful Buick GSX on the other side of the pump came over and gave it a once over & then then the officer that cruised in and was curious about the flashing flag (semaphore) after showing them to the guy with the GSX...

PSS: This is why I loathe using my semaphores, it just confuses everyone
... LOL
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
PS: And as usual, it takes 20 minutes to get gas... First some guy with a beautiful Buick GSX on the other side of the pump came over and gave it a once over & then then the officer that cruised in and was curious about the flashing flag (semaphore) after showing them to the guy with the GSX...

PSS: This is why I loathe using my semaphores, it just confuses everyone
... LOL

Ah, yep....first world problems! Enjoy the attention, they wish they could have what you have, and they do not know how to say that to you. So, they wander over, like bugs to a light at night and start talking. I get it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Oh heck yeah, I love all the impromptu parking lot conversations... I just get a little skiddish when a local paddy cruiser rolls in and jumps right into the conversation... Makes you wonder if he's actually really curious or if your about to get a 'wow that's really neat' & then 'hey, where's your front license plate' out of the blue or something stupid like that... been there, done that ... Rolling Eyes

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

And... then they throw salt on everything ... I guess it's hibernation season... again... *SIGH*

: /

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Oval's not amused about how 2020 is going so far...
...She wants to go ride

Link

EDIT: ...and just like that, they simply delete your stuff because of a radio playing a song in the background... aint that nifty. Rolling Eyes
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Anything new on this car?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Anything new on this car?

Yeah... I hate pandemics, no decent local shows 2 years in a row now...
But, I still drive her every weekend. (unless it's raining)

The second video is what I'm doing when I'm not driving it : )

Link

Link

Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Great job and love the speakers (I want a set) your thread was the one that motivated me to get mine finished . After being stalled waiting on paint.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Great job and love the speakers (I want a set) your thread was the one that motivated me to get mine finished . After being stalled waiting on paint.

Thank you for the compliment... I'm glad my lapidasical efforts spurred you to 'keep moving forward' to complete your build...

But, I'm sad that this weekend as it marked that time of year to mothball everything again. I always hate it But, spring is always eternal & always right around the corner : )

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Explaining non-smart machines that can be fixed with a leather belt, duct-tape & a paper clip to the newest addition...

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

That is a great picture! I look forward (not in a hurry) to have a grandkid and show them the Bugs! That has to be a wonderful feeling! Enjoy!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Shocked good lord that wheel tire combo is number 1 on my list now! looks fantastic, and congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

She's been one long fun ride & I will be sad to see her leave.

Pulled her out of winter storage this morning, she's a little dusty : )

]

Vs. when we acquired her in 2007:

Last edited by 0nebadbug on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Wow I cant believe your letting it go after all that work. I hope you got a new project.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping her off - 1957 Oval Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
... hope you got a new project.

Always... : )

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: