Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan 2002 oil filter wrench?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRNewcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Eurovan 2002 oil filter wrench? Reply with quote

I have a new (to me) 2002 Eurovan V6 in which I am trying to change the oil. I suspect that the previous oil change was performed by King Kong, judging from the torque needed to remove the drain nut. I've run into a problem with the oil filter. It's a paper filter in an aluminum housing with a plastic cap about 4" in diameter. There's a hex head about 1.5" on the end of the cap. I tried using a large Crescent wrench but pulled to the point I thought something might break and stopped. I then tried oil filter pliers but these only scratched the plastic. There are a set of "dimples" around the circumference of the cap. Is there some special cap wrench used for removing this thing? The last thing I want to do is to break it but it looks like I'm headed that way, unless I can find a too that will grip the circumference of the plastic cap. What tool is normally used to remove this thing, a large socket?
johnnygreenham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong but I'm guess that the hex nut you're talking about is just to help you turn the oil filer, meaning that the hex nut is welded to a disc of metal and then probably crimped/presses or spot welded onto the filter housing. Thats the dimples you see.
Your best bet is to get an old leather belt (thin is possible). Put the belt on the filter body like you would round your waste and then double back anti-clockwise. It will lock solid. You can then pull on the end or wrap it around something that you can get leverage on. Gently tap the filter with a rubber mallet whilst pressure is on to try and shock it a little. You could always buy an oil filter strap but thats boring. Try turning with a socket on the hex nut as well at the strap. I'll be amazed if that combo doesn't get it off.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hex is not for removal. Strap wrench, oil filter wrench, large channel locks all common tools. When I get a stubborn filter I just drive a large screwdriver through the side and twist it to get it started. Messy but it works.

RonC
DRNewcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to post a picture. This is not a spin-on filter. If it were a spin-on filter I wouldn't be having this problem. It's a paper filter in a cast aluminum housing with a short plastic cap. The problem is that I'm in danger of damaging the cap while trying to get it off.

The strap wrench failed because it wouldn't grip the sloped sides of the cap which are only about 1/4" long. The Crescent wrench failed when it started to slip on the 1.5" hex head. The "universal" oil filter socket slipped off. The oil filter pliers are gouging the cap but not turning it.

Edit: Here is a picture of the problem.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by DRNewcomb on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are getting wrong information. There may be a tool, but I have a large 6 point socket I use. I don't recall the size. If I had to guess 27mm. There is an O ring that seals the cap. Maybe getting the engine up to operating temperature might expand the aluminum. Don't burn yourself.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Details, with photos, here:
12V: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1749962
24V: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?650410

Don't recall which version the EVs got, but regardless, when it comes to the filter housing both versions use the same technique to remove: You can remove the plug with the hex/Allen to drain the filter first, or just remove the entire housing. Removing the housing requires a 36mm wrench (or a strap, or pliers, or whatever filter removal tool you prefer).

Be sure to turn the filter housing in the proper direction when removing. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modify the belly pan and never have to remove it again to change the oil.
http://www.rialtainfo.com/thebaldy/winnebago/winne...02-01a.pdf

Filter nut = 36mm
Drain plug = 19mm
Belly pan cover =13mm
DRNewcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Maybe getting the engine up to operating temperature might expand the aluminum. Don't burn yourself.
Unfortunately that's not an option right now, as I've already drained the sump. I am familiar with this general oil filter system as it's the same as used on the Mercedes and Volvo but I have cap wrenches that fit them. I may have to wait until I can pick up a 36 mm socket. Fortunately it's an extra vehicle for us, so it won't hurt for it to stay up on the ramps overnight.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the info & advice.

P.P.S. See the photo I added to my post above.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip, a 36 mm socket is very close in dimension to an 1 7/16ths socket. Might be easier to source and get a 6 point.
DRNewcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Tip, a 36 mm socket is very close in dimension to an 1 7/16ths socket. Might be easier to source and get a 6 point.

Thanks. 1 7/16" = 1.4375" = 36.51mm. That's pretty close. I'll see what they have at the tool store tonight.
mpabegg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes those can be on there real tight and using a socket will crack the plastic housing. I use one of these in the upper ring to assist.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DRNewcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpabegg wrote:
Sometimes those can be on there real tight and using a socket will crack the plastic housing. I use one of these in the upper ring to assist.
That was the 3rd tool I tried. It just put a bunch of gouges in the plastic. It may end up needing a combination of the 36mm socket and the pliers. I swear that a gorilla must have put this thing on.
DRNewcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Last night I found a 36 mm socket at Sears. I was a bit concerned because it was 12-point rather than 6-point but with a good pull the cap came right off. The hex slot in the cap drain plug had been buggered by a previous mechanic, so it turned out to be messy. (No big deal). But I do need to find a new drain plug before the next oil change.

Now I'm looking at making the cut-out on the belly pan so it can stay in place for future oil changes.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

P.S. I'm sure I'll be back on here. This VW is a new experience for me.

P.P.S. First, if you use the template to cut the belly pan, be aware that it actually fits two different spots on the belly pan. You want to put it on the spot nearest the center and farther forward. I now have an extra large cut-out in my belly ban. Rolling Eyes I went by the VW dealer to find out about the drain plug for the oil filter cap. They can order it for ~$20, paid in advance, thank you. WTF!!!!???? $20 for a stupid bolt!? At least I've got 5,000 miles or so to find one cheaper than that.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Details, with photos, here:
12V: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1749962
24V: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?650410

Don't recall which version the EVs got, but regardless, when it comes to the filter housing both versions use the same technique to remove: You can remove the plug with the hex/Allen to drain the filter first, or just remove the entire housing. Removing the housing requires a 36mm wrench (or a strap, or pliers, or whatever filter removal tool you prefer).

Be sure to turn the filter housing in the proper direction when removing. Wink

I found this oil change writeup that is very nicely done:

http://whatavan.com/basic/oil_change.htm

It has links to two aluminum caps to replace the OEM plastic. ECSTuning also has a 36mm 6-pt 3/8" drive socket for $16 to go along with their aluminum cap.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2002 oil filter wrench? Reply with quote

You don’t have to tighten the 36 mm hex tight, it side seals by the Oring
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2002 oil filter wrench? Reply with quote

A 36mm socket or a pair of channel locks on the hex nut. Just don't tighten the pulp out of it.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2002 oil filter wrench? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You don’t have to tighten the 36 mm hex tight, it side seals by the Oring

Didn't overtorque it. I put an ECSTuning aluminum cap on, but doesn't matter, no need to overdo it since it has an O-ring. My plastic original looked like new actually so previous owners had good mechanics. Had a German shop do the first change for me, called them for this one they said they're referring all VW work to a different independent.

Called that shop, asked about an '03 Eurovan Camper oil change, they said "Won't even touch 'em, bud." Next up was the VW dealer 30 miles away, they said bring it in but I decided to just get messy.

Anyway I used an STP Extended Life filter which seems to have good reviews, and Amsoil Signature Series 5W-40.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2002 oil filter wrench? Reply with quote

You don’t need the drain bolt on the filter housing.

Turn the housing off over the drain pan, then tip it to drain.

I don’t quite get the hole in the pan either.

Loosen two 13 bolts, release catch, pan drops down. Use a wedge to level off oil pan to keep it level. Drain into pan. Keeps bottom of engine nice and clean
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2002 oil filter wrench? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You don’t need the drain bolt on the filter housing.

Turn the housing off over the drain pan, then tip it to drain.

I don’t quite get the hole in the pan either.

Loosen two 13 bolts, release catch, pan drops down. Use a wedge to level off oil pan to keep it level. Drain into pan. Keeps bottom of engine nice and clean

My belly pan is four 13mm bolts and two 10mm nuts. Yeah, I left the belly pan latched at the rear, just released the front catch to get to the filter after draining the oilpan. Definitely won't be cutting a hole in the belly pan.

I did use the filter drain plug, let it drain into a plastic milk container I had cut in half, then dropped the cover and filter in the container using a 36mm 6-pt 3/8" drive I got from ECSTuning ($16).

I'm not a big fan of DIY oil changes, but despite the mess and annoyance I know I'll do a good job.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 2002 oil filter wrench? Reply with quote

You can get a 36mm impact from Lowe’s for $12.

You can do a lot of axle nuts with that puppy, too

It also releases by E83 oil filter housing too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: