Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1997 GTI VR6 DE.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MB56VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

My brothers and I just picked up a 97 VR6 DE for pennies on the doller(dirt cheap). The person that sold it to us had no Idea and honestly we didn't either. We mostly deal with air cooled, but pick up the car for a road rally. Since finding out it was a DE we are going to bring it back or close to original condition. We have the Jazz Blue color and from reading right there was only 200 made

Does anyone know how many of these are left out there?
MB56VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is the picture of the car.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

DE?
MB56VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

"Drivers edition". There was only 1000 of these made. Only 200 in the Jazz Blue. Had upgraded things. Like- silver gauges, silver e-brake knob, golfball type shifter, leather steering wheel with red stitching, red brake calibers, wheels, lower suspension, different seats. Like I said i had no idea either until i started reading threads about them and found out from the vin number that our car was one of them. We are 90% air cooled guys
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

I had a tornado red '98 drivers edition left over. Loved that car but sadly had to let it go due to very bad rust in the strut towers. I absolutely love the vr6 in any of the variations vw made them in.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
MB56VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

Pulled the engine and tranny. Going to do through everything and replace what is needs tune and ajust everything. Suspension and roll cage will come next.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

So, now you are going take a "rare"/limited edition car and cut it up and make it worth even less as a "race car"?
MB56VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

Not at all, we are not cutting anything on the car at all. There will just be a couple of spots on it were it will have a cage mounted to it. We are doing a road rally race with it first. After that we are going to bring it back to mostly OG. cage and everything will be out of the car.
Jazzgolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1997 GTI VR6 DE. Reply with quote

Saw there was around 100 left roughly in the world and roughly 10 are original (I’m restoring a 100% original one at the moment)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: