Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher BN4 install drawings
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

I plan to install a BN4 in my bus. While collecting info on this I did not find some dimensions.

All dimensions with a letter and ? are just a guess. If anyone has any missing measurements I will add them to the drawing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/5jn9mpa3kpdcr2z/InstallPatterens.pdf?dl=0
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)

Last edited by sgellis on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Did you already look through the Heater and Air Conditioning Manuals and Instructions?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Did you already look through the Heater and Air Conditioning Manuals and Instructions?

Yes. They refer to templates for drilling holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

How about here:

http://oacdp.com/ebersp.html#q3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
How about here:

http://oacdp.com/ebersp.html#q3

Install info is for a Bay window. Did find the air intake hole pattern… hopefully it was the same as a split.
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Here are the dimensions for a barndoor Eberspacher 8460. They should essentially be the mirror image for a BN4 (Barndoor right side, Post-barndoor left side).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/eberspacher_barndoor/6_7.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/eberspacher_barndoor/8_9.jpg
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

gr8vw4sale wrote:
Here are the dimensions for a barndoor Eberspacher 8460. They should essentially be the mirror image for a BN4 (Barndoor right side, Post-barndoor left side).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/eberspacher_barndoor/6_7.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/eberspacher_barndoor/8_9.jpg

Most of that is quite different. I think the heater mounting holes may be the same though. I adjusted the drawing a bit but left them as still unknown.

Edit: actually I compared them to my heater and they are very different.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Hoping someone can help with the unknown dimensions.

Thanks.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Pretty sure it was a BN4 I pulled out of the 306 kombi.
Have not commenced any rust repair yet, so all gas heater holes are still intact.

I can likely fill in some of your numbers tomorrow
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

I have uploaded a number of pics with measurements in the gallery.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
I'm not sure what model my Ebespacher is, but there are pics of both the tags.
The hole closest the engine looks to be the same as on your drawing, but the hole in the drivers side battery tray is way off from the drawing.
Regardless, hope the pics can fill in some gaps for you and if you need other dimensions, let me know and I'll see what I can do
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:

Thanks

The air intake hole looks very different than what I have seen. Other holes look close. I will have a better look in a day or two.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
The hole closest the engine looks to be the same as on your drawing, but the hole in the drivers side battery tray is way off from the drawing.
Regardless, hope the pics can fill in some gaps for you and if you need other dimensions, let me know and I'll see what I can do

That heater is a 8478 and predates the BN4. similar but not the same.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Still looking for some dimensions.

Also need exhaust and intake pipes. Looks like these are hard to find so thinking of making them. If I can get some to use as a pattern I could make a few sets if there is a need. Will have to make some tooling for the exhaust but doesn't look to complex. I would also post the drawings here.

If anyone has some they can get good dimensions from or a set I could borrow I would be very happy.

Pipes I'm looking for at bottom left

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

I thought the dimensions where to drill holes was in the Eberspacher Manual. Greg found them when he installed the BN-4 in the 66 Kombi.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I thought the dimensions where to drill holes was in the Eberspacher Manual. Greg found them when he installed the BN-4 in the 66 Kombi.

Manual that I have seen references patterns for the air intake and BN4 mounting holes.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

I think he's asking for the dimensions of the two exhaust pipes.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Clara wrote:

I think he's asking for the dimensions of the two exhaust pipes.

Both actually Smile
See first drawing with some unknown dims
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Updated drawing at top. Getting close but still a few dimensions that are unknown. Hopefully someone with a bus with holes can get some accurate measurements. I thought maybe a template would turn up but no luck.

I do have the exhaust pipes and air intake pipe coming. I think they will be usable but will post drawings of them anyway. They are getting hard to find so others may find drawing handy.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Still looking for some dimensions.

Also need exhaust and intake pipes. Looks like these are hard to find so thinking of making them. If I can get some to use as a pattern I could make a few sets if there is a need. Will have to make some tooling for the exhaust but doesn't look to complex. I would also post the drawings here.

If anyone has some they can get good dimensions from or a set I could borrow I would be very happy.

Pipes I'm looking for at bottom left

"If" you end up making correct exhaust pipes for that "8478" gas heater and if you can make more sets, I might be interested in a set for my "8478" unit in storage. Thanks!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BN4 install drawings Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:

Those holes are for a 8478 Heater, used prior to the BN4.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: