Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

When I had a waterboxer engine, I would plot my course so I was no further than 200 miles (AAA Premier) from a good Bosch mechanic.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Turbo Subaru in a Syncro in death valley?
wonder what your IATs were running? where is your intercooler mounted?

16CVs wrote:

Head gasket went south, Stuck in death Valley. Living proof that even Subaru engines have problems.
AAA is the worst. They lie and just dump you off where they want to. They dumped my Van at some shop in Pahrump Nevada that diagnosed my van as a Bad intercooler.
I would never have an unknown shop do any major work for me. I paid to get it Trucked home to my Mechanic in the bay area.
A costly Vacation for sure.

Stacy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

to everyone else out there.

maybe read the Towbar thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520559
the head piece fits in the spare tire in the clamshell
the arms can live in the bottom of the closet, rear bench or bolted to the frame under neath.. but $90 towbar and all you need then is to rent the U-haul van.. much cheaper than the box truck+car trailer.

even for the Syncro owners out there.. towbar=4 on the ground towing it's A OK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

AAA Premier. $126 a year for peace of mind. I had four flatbed tows between Yuma and Medford, OR coming back from Baja this year with overheating issues that turned out to be blown head gaskets. I can't imagine what a Uhaul would have cost or where I would get one, broken down halfway between Needles and Las Vegas.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

That’s the rub. I don’t have an intercooler as my van has no Turbo.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Well, after nearly 10 years of ownership, my van has finally joined this prestigious club. Mad Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rounded a corner after a red light, heard a slight noise, saw the oil pressure light begin to glow and the buzzer wimpily trying to sound, and immediately pulled over and shut the engine off. Opened the lid to find steamy smoke, but no obvious problem... no leak, no broken belt, etc. But, the engine was obviously hot (early stage of overheating) and the cheap plastic loom around the engine ground strap was melted.

A one-mile flatbed tow later...

My van is clearly demanding new coolant pipes. Rolling Eyes Brick wall

Oddly, it didn't puke coolant all over everything until the guys were unloading it.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Let this be the poster child as to why you should not run Plastic coolant pipes. At a minimum you should drill and put a couiple of rivets in the inserts.
Luckily you were close to home and probably didn't do any more damage.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Interesting decals though!

Glad you caught it early.

What did the tow truck driver catch his hooks on to winch the van up on the bed?

I hope it wasn't the small holes in the bottom of the frame, like a driver did to mine. :2gunfire:
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Good sit awareness >> early shutdown>>> happy Vanagon owner

Well done, Kam
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Let this be the poster child as to why you should not run Plastic coolant pipes.

Well, not 30-year-old pipes anyway. And to think I was *this* close to replacing the pipes a few years ago when the hoses were done. Kicking myself now that I didn't do it.

levi wrote:
Interesting decals though!

Glad you caught it early.

What did the tow truck driver catch his hooks on to winch the van up on the bed?

I hope it wasn't the small holes in the bottom of the frame, like a driver did to mine. :2gunfire:

They definitely didn't use any hooks. It was some cloth-covered thing they wrapped around something underneath, then hooked the cable to that cloth-covered gizmo.

Decals on the van are thanks to the 2nd owners. They did the same thing to their GMC RV and generic minivan. Laughing

Abscate wrote:
Good sit awareness >> early shutdown>>> happy Vanagon owner

Well done, Kam

We'll find out if it's a happy owner when I cut open the oil filter later (Dad wants to know if there are any metal chunks in it).

But, yes, being tuned in to sights, smells, and sounds of your old VW is imperative. Just glad this happened when/where it did. I'm quite fortunate that when my cars break down, they do it near home. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Plastic pipes are fine, IF you give them the preventative maintenance of said rivets. they'll go another ~20+years.
rivet pics- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=924457
significant'y easier, cheaper and quicker than SS coolant pipes.
Kam, that metal crush collar will tap back inside that pipe and rivet in place.
~1hr and $5 later your back on the road..
16CVs wrote:
Let this be the poster child as to why you should not run Plastic coolant pipes. At a minimum you should drill and put a couiple of rivets in the inserts.
Luckily you were close to home and probably didn't do any more damage.

Stacy

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Plastic pipes are fine, IF you give them the preventative maintenance of said rivets. they'll go another ~20+years.

I agree, the plastic pipes themselves are fine, it's the ends that were a really dumb design. But, can't complain... they lasted 30 years and nearly 200,000 miles.

danfromsyr wrote:
Kam, that metal crush collar will tap back inside that pipe and rivet in place.
~1hr and $5 later your back on the road.

It's quite rusty Sick ... so, if I were to keep the plastic, I'd get a new set of pipe end fittings. But with this failure, the plastic-molded barb end also separated from the pipe. While I know it's expensive and a PITA, the plastic pipes are getting replaced. The van is home in its garage and it's a road-tripper not a daily-driver, so it doesn't need a quick emergency fix.
2016 Golf GTI S
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

You can not buy replacemewellnt inserts. You could clean them up or have them made from S.S. The problem is is that they were cast into the plastic.
When I built my Westy and on a budget I bought a beautiful set of take out tubes trhat still had a VW parts sticker on them. 6 months later when I did an engine conversion they were already starting to push out.
I already had the S.S. in my Tristar and my dads truck already blown them out as well.
My thoughts are id never run a van without them.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

I imagine there's plenty-o-ways to rectify the issue.

When mine spit out 15 or so years ago I roughed up the plastic, applied a raised bead all the way around with jb or some other product, I don't really remember what, ran my new marine hose over it and double clamped it, before and after the bead.

At the time I was concerned about the possibility of pieces of that bead breaking off and working its way into the coolant system, but several examinations through the years showed it content to remain intact.

Not a drip so far, though you never know I 'spose....
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Well, I finally get to play in this thread. On my way home from an appointment this afternoon I coasted to the shoulder barely a mile into the drive. Cranked over fine but no fire. Tried to hear over the roar of the traffic and could not hear the fuel pump cycling so the problem is likely either that or the relay. Troubleshooting tomorrow. I actually have a spare pump in the van but my tools and all the camping gear were transferred to the garage months ago.

This is how it ended.

This is how it looked at the (non-re)start.

Took these guys a while to show up.

This is how it looked riding home. V10 power is a treat, sort of.

If you must pass time in, say, a doctor's waiting room or a vehicle awaiting a tow, you could do a lot worse than to have this book along. Recommended.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Took me 15 years, but finally here’s my first tow…last August:

No notice, no warning, just suddenly no shift linkage connection when trying to leave a stoplight. Evil or Very Mad

I s’pose I could have driven home (130 miles) in 2nd, but glad I didn’t. AAA Premium finally pays back! Cool

Turned out to be stripped teeth in the shift lever at the tranny, wouldn’t stay indexed to the shaft. Got home,
pulled it apart, diagnosed, ordered & replaced the lever ($15 part) & I was back on the road in a couple days.

Took me on a nice 2500 mile Utah eclipse trip just about a month and a half later…no issues, all good.

Love this rig!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

I have also been plagued with a shift linkage lever issue at times.
the Ball on the later 83-91 models can pop off/loose too..
it's not a bad item to toss a spare under the seat.
also a reason we carry a spare starter on our Automatic trans'd vans.
they don't always give fair warning. and are no longer a 1day acquisition item
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
…shift linkage lever…not a bad item to toss a spare under the seat.

Yep! Done that…added to the collection of portable spare parts.

Older & wiser…& more expensive. Wink

- Dave

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
…shift linkage lever…not a bad item to toss a spare under the seat.

Yep! Done that…added to the collection of portable spare parts.

Older & wiser…& more expensive. Wink

- Dave

Well be carrying a van inside our van Shocked

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your emergency, break-down Tow Pics!! Reply with quote

Quote:
Well be carrying a van inside our van Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: