Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
]

Usually I'm too fond of wooden Westy floors, but yours looks great - maybe it just the darker color. My Weekender has a vinyl floor of sorts (factory) - I like it so much better than carpet. I keep a whisk broom in the side of the jump seat and I can sweep it out in a heartbeat.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area? Reply with quote

7 years later - does anyone have a good solution to the original posters question? I'd love to find a replacement that is like the original, rubber backed carpet.

From what I'm seeing being sold from vendors and suggested on this thread - the answer still seems to be "no".

But hoping that someone out there has found a good replacement that is like the original and is willing to share.

Quote:
My big, square carpet in the middle of the van is pretty stained and faded. I don't want to do the laminate floor idea; sticking with carpet. I'd love to find something with similar OEM attributes:
- rubber backed so it's fairly water resistant
- thin, yet heavy & flexible so it stays put
- removable for easy cleaning

Anybody have a good after market solution?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area? Reply with quote

Can’t point you, but maybe look at the marine or RV industry. Our 82 has the original brown carpet. I can’t think of a worse flooring for camping. Fortunately prior to buying it, previous owners had always protected it. Before our maiden voyage, purchased the rubber mats from Go Westy. As long as the dogs water bowl doesn’t flip over, it really is the best solution for camping. The little boxes catch sand, crumbs etc. If it starts looking dirty, it lifts out easily and can be shaken out.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area? Reply with quote

why is brown bad?

(I do hate the nasty yellow colored carpet in my '86 tho...)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
why is brown bad?

(I do hate the nasty yellow colored carpet in my '86 tho...)

Was that at me? The brown is beautiful. The problem is with carpet and camping not the color.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area? Reply with quote

since I like to be able to kneel to retrieve items from the interior.

we run the Woodgrain look foam puzzle mat over our carpet.
we get a few years of hard camper use out of it.. it does eventually sunfade. but the dogs claws will mark it after a few years too anyways.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+look+puzzle+mat

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area? Reply with quote

Vinyl

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Any good replacements for carpet in westy living area? Reply with quote

Dark gray carpet from Brickwerks.co.uk. Nicely made and appears to wearing well. Inexpensive.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: