Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

I am working on a 66 convertible ghia. The car has not seen salt but the top leaked and water traveled and sat in the rear drop down section of the floor pans. This obviously cause rust and holes. The previous owner cut out JUST the drop down sections of each pan and crudely replaced them with flat steel. I would like to clean up-fix these repairs.

Being the original pans are so clean up in the front and the entire bolt on channel is great and intact I would just like to patch in the drop down sections. The ones available for ghia are too small for what I need but I am seeing an abundance of beetle rear half pans locally for quite cheap on the club-online sites.

So my question is what are the dimensions of the rear section of ghia pan and what are they of a beetle? I was wondering if I could trim the bolt on edge off a beetle rear half and splice it into place on the ghia pans.

Anyone have dimensions for this (picture below) section on beetle pans?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

The Ghia pans are ~3" wider. Here is a drawing with the relevanrt dimensions: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650461&highlight=measured+drawing

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

While the overall width of the pans is different, is the drop down well different? I don't see where the drawings address this.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

Tdctdi that is exactly what I was wondering about.

Is the beetle drop down section usable in the ghia? Might have to add a little here or there but would it be compatible size wise
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

I have these Beetle dimensions, these were posted earlier on Samba and I saved them:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

Best I can do at the moment. This is out of a 72 Ghia.

tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

Cool width is about 18 inches?

Anyone know what it is on a beetle?

Thanks
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw//forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1480098

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650461&highlight=measured+drawing

Later, edited Image >

bnc
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

I just went out & measured both a Beetle and a Ghia, both with aftermarket replacement pans, and the "well" area on the Ghia is a good 1.5"-2" wider than those on a Beetle.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

Aren't the pressing 'dimples' a different size/shape as well?

bryan
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

FWIW: there is a certain California Import Parts 1 supplier currently offering full pans for $210/side with free shipping.

bryan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Aren't the pressing 'dimples' a different size/shape as well?

bryan

Probably, but I apparently rolled in a mound of fire ants & was too busy swatting & cussing to GAF shortly after measuring the width. Evil or Very Mad

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

... the personal risks you take to support the hobby should be applauded. Might I recommend a flamethrower?

Laughing

bryan
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

I bought this, probably available at cip1 too
https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/quotquarter-panquo...t=404-71-L
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
... the personal risks you take to support the hobby should be applauded. Might I recommend a flamethrower?

Laughing

bryan

There are some cool models online you can build. I think the owner of Tesla, Musk(?), had an actual product for sale, but the cry babies I believe had it removed from Amazon. Though a weed burner would be just as fun, and cheaper! https://www.amazon.com/Volcano-reasons-flamethrowe...mp;sr=8-13

Sorry for sidetracking.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

Thanks for info guys.

I can pick up some beetle rear halves for like $10-$20 locally from some guys I know. As long as they are smaller then the ghia I can make them work by splicing in some flat on the sides if needed. This car is a rat-rod type thing and not really concerned with 100% correct stampings just something presentable-functions correctly.

Tristan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

Laughing

bryan

Thank you sir. However, this would be much more rewarding, on multiple levels.

Link

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

That is some redneck fun for an art project for sure!!! <-- Meant in all respect!

But it's still more fun to watch burning things running around..heh heh heh

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia vs Beetle pan section dimensions Reply with quote

It looks like a transaxle!?!
Well done!

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: