Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear main shaft seal manual trans
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: rear main shaft seal manual trans Reply with quote

I need help on finding a rear main shaft seal for a manual trans a part #?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rear main shaft seal manual trans Reply with quote

So this is the part you need?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The VW part # is 004 311 491 A

I took the "A" suffix off of a seal I removed from a transmission.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its dimensions are 30mm OD X 17mm ID X 7mm thick...or pretty close to that.

I have been using the CR-6620 seal for a longtime with decent result.

You can find them on Amazon, E-bay or at bearing dealers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicago-Rawhide-CR-6620-S...2542805475

The problem with this seal...if there is one...is that I have no idea what kind of material it is. You really should call a bearing dealer and request a seal that works well with EP gear oils and about 300 F maximum temp and what...maybe 4000 rpm constant.

If I can get a few minutes I will call a bearing dealer or two. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rear main shaft seal manual trans Reply with quote

Thank you for the information Ray I really needed this I've no corals about using the seal on eBay that's what I'm going to use I was thinking about hitting the seal over the existing skill and putting grease behind it this is my daily driver he went down on me 2 weeks ago I dropped a intake seat it happened in my driveway thank God I went out and got a new set of heads but motors in 1800s and I had 1700 heads on it so I got 1800 heads looks like I have to board up the exhaust port for the EGR plug. Might be can't wait to get this back on the road thanks a whole bunch.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: rear main shaft seal manual trans Reply with quote

vwrenault wrote:
Thank you for the information Ray I really needed this I've no corals about using the seal on eBay that's what I'm going to use I was thinking about hitting the seal over the existing skill and putting grease behind it this is my daily driver he went down on me 2 weeks ago I dropped a intake seat it happened in my driveway thank God I went out and got a new set of heads but motors in 1800s and I had 1700 heads on it so I got 1800 heads looks like I have to board up the exhaust port for the EGR plug. Might be can't wait to get this back on the road thanks a whole bunch.

Yes...even these basic seals tend to last at least 50k miles. They do get a little crispy which is why I wonder fi there is a seal in this size with better material....but I have no real issues with them either. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: