Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Wow Tyson , very nice.

Your attention to detail makes the whole project stand out. Keep up the good work.
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

👍 finally finished! (Okay well almost. Still missing a visor, hood latch, and door contact switches...close enough)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)

Last edited by carnut63 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Well , that is one fine automobile! Nice job. Love that you stayed with the original interior colors.
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Stunning car, great work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Wow. That's gorgeous......

You make me want to consider a whole new restoration on mine now. Though I only learned it later on, the original color of my '54 was strato silver, and the Birth Certificate shows it had red leatherette interior. I never realized how great that combination would actually look until I saw your pictures.

Congratulations on a great restoration!
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Thanks. I’m not really sure why my driver seat looks crooked. The seat tracks are straight, and the seat frame appears to be original...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

What happened to the bolts holding the pan to the body at the Napoleon hat?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Good call. They’re missing. I remember having a bitch of a time getting them in

Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

carnut63 wrote:
Added a pair of WW bumpers and brackets today. What an excellent fit, everything went together with minimal effort. Take a look at that rear end! Probably have about 1/8” clearance above the bumper.

Make sure you have the spacers that go in between the bumpers and the bumper brackets or you will have clearance issues like this. There are 4 per bumper (two per bumper bracket)

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Wow amazing work.

Can you clarify the wiring harness you used?
WW = Wolfburgs West?
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Yes its Wolfsburg west. Overall pretty good but a few of the wires were just a little short.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Thank you Wink
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Great job. Beautiful car. I do my own paint and body work, PPG single stage. Any runs or sags can be color sanded and buffed out without too much work. Some day, i will get good enough to have so many blemishes to repair. I will be buying myself a late Christmas present in January, a Devilbiss DV1 paint gun, I will see if it lives up to the hype. My Home Depot Husky has done OK for me over the last 20 years.

I have a question for you about the strato silver. My buddy just found a 56 Oval rag and we will be painting it your color. Did you use single stage or base coat/clear coat? I am reading online that you cant sand and buff single stage metallic. Did you find this to be true or did you go with 2 stage.

Thanks for your time. Again, beautiful car. My buddy was thinking blue wool interior but I’ll send him a link to your thread and maybe we can go with the red vinyl.
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:
Great job. Beautiful car. I do my own paint and body work, PPG single stage. Any runs or sags can be color sanded and buffed out without too much work. Some day, i will get good enough to have so many blemishes to repair. I will be buying myself a late Christmas present in January, a Devilbiss DV1 paint gun, I will see if it lives up to the hype. My Home Depot Husky has done OK for me over the last 20 years.

I have a question for you about the strato silver. My buddy just found a 56 Oval rag and we will be painting it your color. Did you use single stage or base coat/clear coat? I am reading online that you cant sand and buff single stage metallic. Did you find this to be true or did you go with 2 stage.

Thanks for your time. Again, beautiful car. My buddy was thinking blue wool interior but I’ll send him a link to your thread and maybe we can go with the red vinyl.

Hi, yes it's 2 stage paint. I have heard the same about single stage, if you try to color sand it, it can cloud up the metallic.
I have also seen some people mix in some clear with the single stage which would probably give some room to work out blemishes.
The paint came from TCP global, they have a code for 54 vw strato silver which is what this is. It looks great.

carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Installed a 3rd brake light today, just a cheap one from Amazon.
Looks right at home.

carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

Got her all polished up and made my 9 year old very happy!

tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: March 2nd, 1955 Strato Silver Project Reply with quote

What a beauty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: