Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

maiden voyage after 3 yrs work
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

Hi Community...

It's chilly in NJ today too, but will warm up later, put on long pants & shirt 1st time since before summer. I could use some help. TheThing was running
ok out of gas can, but found hard line was clogged, ran a parallel 1/4" line per VW instructions ok. After running for a while 15-20 min began smoking, washed oil off bottom, replaced VC gaskets (from rubber to cork). I cannot remove the bottom sled tins to access push rod tubes which may be the leak area. Any advice?
May take maiden trip today around the hood as I've never driven it.

I had the gas gauge working until I was troubleshooting no license plate light and emergency flasher not working yesterday and must have knocked something off/loose cause now the needle in buried below empty and will not go full when grounded. I'm going to dig into it shortly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

Update...used a piece of glass to straighten the valve covers flat and going back to cork gaskets helped. Washed bottom best I could when dry runs without smoking. I still want to remove the sled tins so I can change the push rod tubes and seals, but the screws won't budge, hit it with PB Blaster, nothing yet.

Yesterday replaced a couple of broken slip on connectors troubleshooting no license plate light and emergency flasher. Now the fuel gauge needle is pegged below empty and will not move to full when grounded.

Tomorrow I'll remove speedometer completely and investigate. I tested the sender and have continuity from sender to back of gauge.

The maiden voyage was fun, 2nd gear sounds strong, but clunking is coming from the front, I think I'm missing bump stop bushing on top of the left shock.

I'm glad it's a hobby and not a job.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

If you grow tired of it, I have a spot in the garage for it Cool
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

must be a Jersey Thing "thing". My gas gauge doesnt work and my clunks on the right.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

LOL....it's because we can't pump our own gas......jk.
Removed front Bilstein shocks yesterday found bottom rubber bushing shot.
I ordered OEM style from the TheThingShop and Fuel gauge & vibrator from
West Coast Metric. The car is 45 y/o and if it's not one Thing it's another.

I like your orange Thing, mine was in much, much worst shape when I got it,
but is was cheap and came with donor metal & windshield.
Now that the pans and seats are in, it's going to need a top instead of a tarp this winter.
Oh, and the ball joints boots are ripped, don't think I can change them
myself got to find some one who will.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

You could try a hand impact driver for removing the screws that hold the tin. This would require getting the vehicle high enough in the air to be able to swing a hammer underneath it though.

Alternately you could try using Vise Grips on the screw heads. Also when you go to put new screws in, it you are willing to use something besides the original pan/fillister heads screws, use a washer head screw with a hex so you can use a wrench to do the removal.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Widthings, I have a Sears hand impact driver that I tried while it was on truck jack stands
using a cut down handle sledge hammer after using PB BLaster.
2 came loose, one head snapped off, others won't budge.
Worst case try vise grips or grind heads off. I don't want drill and tap, but will if I have to. Because I don't want to remove the engine yet.

Well I had some success today, my West Coast Metric parts came in so I change both the fuel gauge and vibrator and now
it reads correctly. I think it was only the vibrator, but changed them both.

wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
...Oh, and the ball joints boots are ripped, don't think I can change them
myself got to find some one who will.

This can be done...I didn't myself the other week. It's just really fiddly, especially if done on the car!!

The trick, once you get the lip round the large end of the new boot to seat in the BJ, is to use a tool to feed the large round spring clip round so it holds the boot in its groove. You can buy a tool, but used a large split pin (a bay bus rear axle nut locking pin). It will help you feed the spring round the boot so that it seats correctly in the groove. Also, the small ring to the small end of the boot before fitting the boot to the BJ.

Good luck

P.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

Thanks P for the suggestion. Where did you order the BJ boots from?
What tool or large split pin? Next year i need to replace the BJ boots on my bus as well.
I want to try this while on the car, I know it's more work but I'm retired so I'll just keep at it.

I just got it; a split pin is what we call a cotter pin. I'll try it.

Last edited by Hot Rod Harp on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
Thanks P for the suggestion. Where did you order the BJ boots from?
What tool or large split pin? Next year i need to replace the BJ boots on my bus as well.
I want to try this while on the car, I know it's more work but I'm retired so I'll just keep at it.

Do you have CV joints or a swing axles and drop boxes? Two different animals here.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

Wait...we were talking ball joints, no? It's a late 74 Thing w/ CV joints, and yes one of those boots are torn as well.....old cars.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
Wait...we were talking ball joints, no? It's a late 74 Thing w/ CV joints, and yes one of those boots are torn as well.....old cars.

Oops, sorry for not paying attention better. Yes ball joint boots can be done on the car. Finding quality boots is the biggest problem, as it's a pisser to change them and then have the fail again in short order. I have some stainless steel wire that I use to hold the large ends of the boots if I can't get the original rings back on.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: maiden voyage after 3 yrs work Reply with quote

I'm still looking for good ball joints boots and maybe some stainless steel wire.
In my search someone mentioned Saran Wrap as a temporary fix, then I found
these split boots.

https://www.ebay.com/i/163621146889?ul_noapp=true

Anybody try it ?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: