Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

This is off the subject, but I never have found out how to send pictures. I was just wishing I could send a picture to verify the connections you are mentioning. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Just to get my thoughts together. The heater hasn't been dropped yet.

I'm looking at the heater motor, and I see a connection going thru a rubber cover on the end of the motor. And just below the motor there is a connection about 3 inches wide with a rubber boot into the heater body.

Are these the two connections you mentioned before with one being the hot one?
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

If these are the connections the 12mm nut must be inside the rubber boot.

I tried to peel back the boot, but it started coming apart, and I stopped. This boot(if the correct one) will have to have a surgical cut to peel it back, in order to get to the 12mm nut. Then joined with sealer and tape to reinstall it.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I have looked and researched, and instructions show a 12mm nut beside the rubber boot. But there is not one on mine that I can see. The pictures show the nut in plain site just next to the thermal switch rubber boot, but one doesn't exist on my car. I haven't dropped the unit yet, and maybe it's on the other side, but not according to the pictures I've seen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Titan3c:

I hope these pictures help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Thanks a lot the pictures do help. I don't see any attaching nut in these pictures either. Wonder what holds it in place? I'll go ahead and drop the unit and see what shows up. Ray said not to peel the boot back, just loosen the hold down nut and pull it out. The manual I found on the thermal switch shows a hold down nut on one end. Perhaps that started with later models of the 411.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Mine is a 1974 412 the last three pictures shows the nut to remove on the heater to remove the fuel cut off without removing the rubber boot that covers the wire connectors. I hope this clarifies things. if not I'm sure Ray will be back soon. My boot was in good shape and pliable. Hope this helps. I have more pictures to send if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Mine is a 1974 412 the last three pictures shows the nut to remove on the heater to remove the fuel cut off without removing the rubber boot that covers the wire connectors. I hope this clarifies things. if not I'm sure Ray will be back soon. My boot was in good shape and pliable. Hope this helps. I have more pictures to send if needed.

Hey Terry! Great pics! I owe you a call tomorrow. Been a crazy week!
Titan3c.....going off memory.....but I just realizes2that the thermoprobe that nut holds tight....may be too long to pull out with the wires attached.

Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

What came loose on my boot was the lip on the bottom that looped around the edge of the bottom. It just sort of wants to peel off. I see its also missing in the pictures.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

The nut I'm talking about is the 12mm nut referenced by Ray at the base of the probe. This nut doesn't exist on mine nor does it show on the pictures. It does show on a manual I found in plain site. The manual says after removing the nut to remove the probe with slight twisting movements, and may take some solvents to loosen it. So which is the smartest thing to do. Work it loose, and remove it, or peel the boot back and pull the connections loose. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
The nut I'm talking about is the 12mm nut referenced by Ray at the base of the probe. This nut doesn't exist on mine nor does it show on the pictures. It does show on a manual I found in plain site. The manual says after removing the nut to remove the probe with slight twisting movements, and may take some solvents to loosen it. So which is the smartest thing to do. Work it loose, and remove it, or peel the boot back and pull the connections loose. Bob

For teh moment....peel teh boot back and disconnect the wires...BUT....you MUST have the battery disconnected. If memory serves there are live wires in there.....and....mark them well.

I am betting you have a nut there but its covered with grime. When you get this thing out you can check for it, If its missing let us know. It has to be there. This joint is kind of a "chuck".

The threaded male flange on the heater is tapered and split. When you tighten the nut is cinches down on the probe.

Basically this part is identical to the thermo probe you find on home heating units that run on oil or gas. It pokes into teh combustion chamber and heats up and is basically what turns the unit off and on. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I'm confused-----in the pictures Terry sent there is no nut. if there is why can't I see it. Bob
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Bob: I think this is the nut that Ray is talking about. See the red line pointing to the nut. If I am wrong, Ray will correct me. If you need additional photos let me know.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Bob: I think this is the nut that Ray is talking about. See the red line pointing to the nut. If I am wrong, Ray will correct me. If you need additional photos let me know.

Yes!...that is the nut!

And....it is really a pain from the angle you have under the car..to tell what size nut that is and get the right wrench on it.

I keep thinking its either an 11 or 12mm.
Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I went ahead and peeled the boot back, and pulled the connections.

Question: When is the smartest time to disconnect the fuel like, and glow plug? Before or after dropping the unit? Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

OK I got the mounting nuts loose, and I'm ready to drop the heater. I'll do that tomorrow, and see if I can wiggle it out of the car.

Most of you probably don't know I'm 94 and have to work short periods at a time. Crawling under the car and working laying on my back is not as easy as it use to be, and I couldn't do it with out the help of people on this forum. Don't get me wrong this is not a pity me, and I love to joke about my age.

I don't see how the heater will find it's way out there, but bet it does come out. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
OK I got the mounting nuts loose, and I'm ready to drop the heater. I'll do that tomorrow, and see if I can wiggle it out of the car.

Most of you probably don't know I'm 94 and have to work short periods at a time. Crawling under the car and working laying on my back is not as easy as it use to be, and I couldn't do it with out the help of people on this forum. Don't get me wrong this is not a pity me, and I love to joke about my age.

I don't see how the heater will find it's way out there, but bet it does come out. Bob

Dude! You are kicking ass compared to most of us! Very Happy

If you didnt figure...its just about as easy to pull the glow plug and coil wires either way...either when its coming down or through the two holes before its coming out.

If memory serves you have to fight with it a little to get it out the left side. With the blower attached its pretty long. You will have to remove the left hand heater pipe and elbow from the heat exchanger I think. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

Question: Are the back mounting brackets slotted the same as the ones in front. I can see the front ones are slotted so the unit slides out, but I can't tell for sure about the back ones. Everything is loose, but it seems something is keeping it from moving off the mounts.

Also how do the two connections on top come loose? Do they just pull off? I can see the one in the round access hole has a clamp over the top to hold it down. Which one is that?
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I think the one with the rubber connection is so close to the

I think the one in the oval opening with the rubber connection is so close to the bottom of the shelf and is slightly under it, and doesn't allow the unit to be raised in back to come over the mounting brackets.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspaecher BA4 Overhaul Reply with quote

I got the glow plug disconnected, but I'm not sure how to disconnect the coil wires.. Does the metal strap on top move to one side, and then pull straight up. Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: