Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

Tried the easy trans leak fixes. Slowed it down, but didn't stop after 500 miles. Time to replace. Bentley's makes it sound too hard for DIY. Anybody tackle this before? Are special tools really needed. Thanks in advance.
Capt Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

Somebody out there must have done this repair.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WyD646NEX0k[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WyD646NEX0k

Hmmm...not sure this isn't posting correctly. I recently did this on a Corrado, and it was similar.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

Are you talking about the actual output seal or the large internal O-ring inside the right "leg" ? (brain cramp, can't recall technical term right now)

I've replaced the internal O-ring on several T4 gearboxes. Be very careful with how you handle and remove them. They're cast aluminum and can be brittle. Remove the RT half shaft. Remove the four perimeter bolts around the flange into the main trans housing. Remove the leg support. I suggest some penetrant sprayed liberally between the flange and housing. Gently pry and use a plastic dead blow hammer to persuade them apart. It does make it a bit easier if you pull the axle out of the housing ahead of removing the flange. It is held in with internal C-clip.
Capt Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

Not sure which seal is leaking, seeing it on the ground by the front right wheel. Hoping it is the output seal. Don't have the facilities to drop the trans.
Capt Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

I can't find anyone that stocks this. Is it also know as the differential shaft seal?
Corteco Differential Seal - Right
Corteco logo Corteco Differential Seal Click to Enlarge
(Read reviews)
Our List Price:
$10.73
Quantity:
(35) In Stock
Part Number: 7399-08005491
Notes: Differential Output Shaft Seal (45 X 60 X 8 mm)
Position: Right
Condition: New
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?...evel=18859

This might help

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: O2b Right hand drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

Sure it is the gearbox leaking? I rebuilt my gearbox( some time ago so a little fuzzy) and while I didn't change the seal in the van it should be pretty straight forward. The image shown in the previous reply shows what you need to know. I pulled the RH shaft out with the flange as I was doing a rebuild. Hopefully you can pull the flange from the shaft without disengaging the circlip in the diff, not a big deal either way probably. You may need some bolts with long threads to pull off the flange or shaft, was quite tight as far as I remember. You might want to have something around to put between jacking bolts and leg so as not to damage anything.

I just bought a new seal from the dealer last week as I need to replace the driver side one so they are still available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: