Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Last night I finished working on the rear suspension. Replaced the spring plate bushings. It looked like it sill had the original VW ones in there. Quite a bit of crudd and rust between the busing and the spring plate. I set the angle to close to 20.5 degrees. Rear suspension is working smoothly now. I had to disconnect the brake rubber hoses to be able to swing the axle down enough, so bleeding brakes again is next.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Worked on the rear bumper cage. Sanded, panted it with black bed-liner paint. and installed it. The chrome was just too rusted. Also have a new bright LED light in the garage.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Have been working on a lot of smaller things. Now i am Getting ready to put the body back to the chassis. Also finished my shifter knob. I turned it out of some orange striped looking from from a pallet, and used a 80’s VW lapel pin for the emblem.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

I do enjoy that you have been preserving the spirit of this old build. Very cool shift knob too.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

I like the shift knob too. Did you put some kind of an insert in the bottom or just thread the wood?
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I do like the original look. Its what caught my attention 25 years ago. I am learning al lot from the posts on this site. Lots of knowledge and great ideas all in one spot.

On the shift knob, I tried threading it first and it did not work very well, then I tried a plastic insert which did not work good either. Finally I found a nut that for the shifter, I turned the edges off and made some shallow grooves and epoxied in into the shifter hole. I take a picture later.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Shifter bottom
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Nice work! Good luck with the rest of you're project.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Perfect! Ya, I didn't think just threading the wood would work too well. Good idea.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Progressing on some work on the dash while waiting for a new fuel tank. Other one had pin holes after cleaning the rust out. Speedo is still missing the fuel gauge.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

While waiting on more parts i repainted the side panels.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Popcorn
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

I have not made an update for some time. I am working on the electrical. It had a bad case of spliced spagetti-oes and a 6 fuese -box where only 3 were used. I got a generic 12 port ato fuse box that I am trying to make work. So far i am working on the ends. I made the sections for the regulator, fuel tank and the horn. Replaced the wires to the turn signal and the ignition. Have the wipers wired to a SPDT switch. Since I am only using one speed. Should I use low or high?
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Time for an update. We has a great Christmas, and hope everybody also. Work let me have 2 days off and the weather has been spring like. Been adding more pieces and working on polishing up the paint. I also redid most of the pin striping. Side panels are on.

Electrical is still haunting me. Little by little.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

That will be one beautiful Buggy!
Manxdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Are you going to have it at Bug-a-Palüzain April?
I would love to see it in person..it's really looking good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

I hope to be mostly done by then. Where is that get-together?
Manxdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

https://www.bugapaluza.com/
Not far from you. It's a great show, you should definitely check it out even if you don't bring the buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

Thanks. I keep that in mind. Looks like a fun crowd with nice cars.

Have made a little progress. The front running/blinkers needed to be rebuilt. The bulb sockets were so corroded they needed new guts. They seem to be from an old land rover and new ones were sinfully expensive. I converted them to LED and will use a LED flasher module. Also wired some LED fog lights as DRL's. Also finished the rebuilding the headlights but htey are not installed because they interfere wit the hood. January my schedule changed so progress is a lot slower than I want.

I don't remember where the horn was mounted. Can someone tell me? Does it need a relay? The steering column is the kind that has the bearing with the wire. There are no rubber insulators down in the tube.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Bug Reply with quote

You can mount the horn wherever it fits. I mounted mine to the fiberglass in front of the gas tank and suspension. Better protected from wheel splash.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: