Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
36horses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The center cap from my vanagon alloys fit in the opening
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

So it sounds like you already own these wheels.
If so, try fitting them to confirm the center bore and lug bolt holes are a go.
If so, since you're setting the wheels inboard 8mm, an 8mm spacer would push it back out to stock spec, or you might want to go 10mm spacer.
Front and back.
With 8-10mm extra space your bolts are not long enough to get enough thread (I think you need about 7-1/2 turns) so you need to press out the rear and put in longer rear studs, and you need longer bolts for the front.
You also need to determine if these wheels take a small ball or large ball for the seat, it does make a difference.

The originator of this thread, Christopher at t3technique, would be able to give you all the details I've certainly left out, and he can sell you everything I've mentioned above.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Most stock Vanagon wheels were ET39 so these at ET38 needn't require spacers (in a 6.5x16 rim). That will depend on tire size.

Mark
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Most stock Vanagon wheels were ET39 so these at ET38 needn't require spacers (in a 6.5x16 rim). That will depend on tire size.

Mark

39?
I'm going to hold fast at 30.
gonna see life my way

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Vanagons came with ET39 wheels in every model year from 1980-91.
Later years mixed in ET30 for use with wider 14" tires for clearance reasons. With taller rims the clearance issues are different and often reduced, depending on the tire and the rim width.

Mark
36horses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks all. I would be mounting 215/60-16 tires. They measure 26.2” tall and 8.5” wide. I figured I would have some leeway with the 6.5” rim concerning offset. Next question is how much spacer can be used without longer studs if I decided to move them out a little. My Wolfsburg center caps fit so it is just a matter of lugnut size?These rims are listed for a skoda in Germany so I’m guessing decent quality/ German TUV APPROVED. Any info on Msw/ oz rims appreciated.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I don't know that wheel so a test of how many fastener turns you have is all I can offer. Mount up a wheel onto the rear and thread the appropriate nuts on, counting the full turns. I doubt you will have any excess turns and thus no room for spacers but try it and see.

Mark
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

As far as I know it's only going to be possible to use an et 39 without a spacer if you're going 14", since you're stuck with 185 or 195 width.
The 185r14 was cool.

But he IS asking abour 16", about the only tire narrow enough to have the load rate and fit inside without rubbing is a 195/75, and that, I think, is 28" diameter.
I was guessing that he isn't asking for advice that will limit him to 1 or 2 tires on the market.

If this is not accurate, I'm mistaken about the number of tires with a reasonable load rate in 16" and are 185, 195, or 205 in width.
gonna see life my way

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I've run lots of ET37 wheels without spacers over the years. Both 15" and 16" rims. The devil is in the details. He specified his preferred size but not the exact tire, if he has picked one. I prefer XL Load 100 or better tires.

Mark
36horses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Nokian has some different options in the 215/60 r 16 C, Hakka cr3 for one. 26.2 tall 8.5 wide, 108/106 d load rating
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

can anyone confirm if the Mercedes 210 400 0202 6.5" x 15" et37 steel wheels fit a 2wd Vanagon without spacers??

TIA

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
can anyone confirm if the Mercedes 210 400 0202 6.5" x 15" et37 steel wheels fit a 2wd Vanagon without spacers??

TIA

I never tried to fit one to the van when it had VW brakes but they wheels fit over my A4 brakes with the same spacers as the 16" Mercedes wheels.

Do you want to borrow one to try out? I could probably put it in Colin's red Dodge truck at work.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The wheel itself clears fine on the 86+ vans I have tried them on but the tire can still rub depending on the tire. I have used 205/70R15 without rubbing.

Mark

toomanyveedubs wrote:

TIA

toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you want to borrow one to try out? I could probably put it in Colin's red Dodge truck at work.

Thanks for the offer. I bought these wheels a while back and have them listed for sale locally. I knew they would fit my syncro without spacers but I am getting alot of questions about 2wd fit. I have since moved to CLK Tolimans and also have some 16" steel wheels. Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gunzo131
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

What do I need to do to make these wheels fit my vanagon? 8JX 16h2 et36
A211 401 75 02
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Gunzo131 wrote:
What do I need to do to make these wheels fit my vanagon? 8JX 16h2 et36
A211 401 75 02

16x8s do not fit the front of a 2wd Vanagon well at all. The width forces the wheels outward to the point that tire rubbing becomes an issue.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Gunzo131
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Rubbing where? Fenders?
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Back side of the fender arch.
Gunzo131
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Should be that bad to shave them.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Definitely will mood to trim. But as stated above, it's not a good fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 157 of 173

Jump to: