Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydroleash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Overheating Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have just rebuilt my 1st 1600 and all went well!
But when I took it for its 1st drive it felt like the clutch was slipping, so I adjusted it, but still the same thing and then a burning smell.

So thinking its a clutch problem I pulled the motor from the car and the clutch looks ok.

So then following the smell I pulled the flywheel off and could see that it had heated up so much that it had turned blue, and I'm thinking the clutch plate touching the hot flywheel is giving off the smell plus the slipping,
but I can't think of why its getting so hot!

Any ideas I would love to hear!

Thanks
NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

why did you have to pull the flywheel all the way off to see it was blue? was it not blue under the pressure plate/clutch?

and what does your clutch plate look like?

it sounds like you need to adjust the cable even more (but also check the flywheel for warping)

make sure the right about of slack is in the rubber cable tube between the frame and the arm

gone but not forgotten: '70, '71, '73, and '74 Bugs | '81 Ironhead | '13 Monster 796 | '93 El Dog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

Can we see pictures of both sides of the flywheel and clutch parts.
Hydroleash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

You do have a 1971 or later transmission, correct? That's what your pressure plate matches to.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

It seems clear the clutch was slipping.

Was that a new clutch + pressure plate when you installed it?

Did you have the flywheel machined to clean up the friction surface? If so, did they also flycut the surface the pressure plate mounts to? The distance between these two surfaces is critical and must be maintained. If you cut the friction surface you must also cut the PP mounting surface to maintain the same distance. On other cars these two are often the SAME surface so it is typically not an issue. But with ACVWs they are separate and the machinist needs to know what they are doing.
If the two surfaces are allowed to become too far apart the PP may never fully disengage.

Here's a thread on it:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7451260

modok wrote:
for the "12volt 200mm clutch" type flywheel, Dimension A should be 21.0mm-21.2mm

While you have your flywheel off, measure the difference between the two surfaces and see if they are in spec.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

man that clutch disk is smooth as a babys butt!

i too wonder if this is the same flywheel and pressure plate from before the build?

gone but not forgotten: '70, '71, '73, and '74 Bugs | '81 Ironhead | '13 Monster 796 | '93 El Dog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

NakMuayD wrote:
man that clutch disk is smooth as a babys butt!

Smooth as a baby's butt is something that you never, ever, ever want to see in a clutch system. It must be rough to provide friction. Just like rings and cylinders. No cross hatch, no compression, no power. Lets think this stuff trough guys.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating Reply with quote

Did you adjust the clutch cable when you put the engine back in or just leave it and run it where it was before you rebuilt the engine?

Once you've glazed the hell out of them an adjustment just won't cut it. They need to be roughed up again? Was this an old clutch? IF it was, was there a leaking seal on the engine or tranny?

Measure the runout on your flywheel and see if it warped as well. They are pretty tough, but if it has a bunch of hotspots on the clutch surface it will need to be surfaced.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: