Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Retro sound radios?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

Really? Never had an issue...Given the cars with them get driven at least once every few weeks. When parked over the winter we use a batter tender. Never an issue.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

My RetroSound radio does not have excessive parasitic drain- I can leave the bus parked for several weeks and it starts fine. I use a battery tender over the winter, though.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

I put one in my wifes 63 beetle. After a couple weeks it drained the battery. Not saying it wasnt operator error but everything was working the way it should when it was hooked up. After I got her car started again the radio shit the bed. Never to work again. I unhooked it and since then the battery has never been drained and fires up every time. But, Like I said, I cant rule out installer error.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
I unhooked it and since then the battery has never been drained and fires up every time. But, Like I said, I cant rule out installer error.

For S&G I checked my bus today, parasitic is 7mA (.007A) which is well within the industry spec of 50mA for a parasitic drain. My radio is about 5 years old.

Recently I did repair a car with a radio improperly wired that was drawing about 300mA (.3 amp) and running the battery dead over a few days. There's a battery hot wire and a key hot wire, the installer had them both connected to battery. Something was odd about the wire colors, like battery hot was yellow and key hot was red or something, I have it in my notes somewhere....
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

Just my .02:
These days I would not buy a head unit without Bluetooth. Your phone will auto-connect to it when you get in, and the less I'm dealing with aux cables in an automobile, the better.
It's not just for calls.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Just my .02:
These days I would not buy a head unit without Bluetooth. Your phone will auto-connect to it when you get in, and the less I'm dealing with aux cables in an automobile, the better.
It's not just for calls.

On my other bus I put a broken dummy radio in the dash to fill the hole and use a Bluetooth speaker. I also think it's the best way to go.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Culito wrote:
Just my .02:
It's not just for calls.

On my other bus I put a broken dummy radio in the dash to fill the hole and use a Bluetooth speaker. I also think it's the best way to go.

x2!
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

I used to have a RetroSound radio in my bug. I think it was the model 2, and I would need to keep the car on a battery tender if I didn't drive it for about a month.

After less than a year, I sold it and just put a modern radio in the glove box with a remote amp turn on with external amps. I hate the radio in the glovebox, but that was the best option (for me) at the time.

Now, I'm changing it again to an original Sapphire XIV AM radio that was dealer installed, but no longer worked. I sent it off to Lorenzo Parra to work his magic on. Externally, it will look exactly like a stock AM radio. Internally, it will have FM, bluetooth, and RCA preouts for a whole new setup with a Audio Control DM-810 and some JL Audio amps. Looking forward to finally having a setup I'll be happy with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

just got my retrosound hermosa model 2 and accessories yesterday. installation went pretty smooth. weird that i had to assemble the damn thing but i guess it's cause of how customizable it is.

the PO cut the dash so i had to get a faceplate. i chose something that best matched the scalloped dash. i think it looks pretty good but i may have the faceplate painted to match my dash (a *little* too chromey for me Cool )

anyhow, i paired the in dash speaker with a 10" pancake sub and i'm impressed! sound quality is great. overall I'm a happy camper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

I'm using a Sapphire I in my 6v Ghia that Rich Langenwalter restored for me. He added an FM board and a mp3 port (in back of unit through an existing hole, cable runs into cabin under dash). I ordered this $16 bluetooth receiver to connect to the mp3 port, which I should have tomorrow to try out, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I have a 6v to 12v converter on an cigarette lighter for charging phone, running GPS, etc., so I can charge the receiver in-car if needed.

Just throwing it out there for those who may want something more original instead of sort-of-original-looking.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:

You're not kidding that's chromey. Reminds me of a 50s American car. Nice install though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

I would paint the ribbed rectangular areas of the faceplate around the knobs satin black. That will tone it down a lot.
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

I use this one with no problem at all.

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

Not sure how on- or off-topic my questions are, but:

(1) Is there a viable adapter for getting SiriusXM hooked up to an original Sapphire II radio? The one installed in my bus has been converted for 12V and has an MP3 port, which is connected to the AM button.

(2) If there is an adapter/receiver/gizmo so I can listen to SiriusXM radio in my bus, which is the best suited/has been used by others successfully? Thanks for any help or guidance.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

nice set up eeveewee. quick question for anyone who has the RetroSound VW-BUS65 (single woofer w/dual coil speaker) for busses? is the mount for this really supposed to sit on the shelf???

i thought the OG mounts right behind the grill and above the shelf.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

(1) Is there a viable adapter for getting SiriusXM hooked up to an original Sapphire II radio? The one installed in my bus has been converted for 12V and has an MP3 port, which is connected to the AM button.

(2) If there is an adapter/receiver/gizmo so I can listen to SiriusXM radio in my bus, which is the best suited/has been used by others successfully? Thanks for any help or guidance.

1) you mean a 3.5mm input jack (oppisite of headphone jack)? I don't know of the term MP3 port..

yes there are portable xm players like old walkmans... but XM is availble on a phone app nowadays

if you have a input jack like I think, you could even get a bluetooth adapter for that, then xm from the phone via bluetooth.

this is $6 on amazon, but there are many 3.5mm blutooth adapters available

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
I would paint the ribbed rectangular areas of the faceplate around the knobs satin black. That will tone it down a lot.

That is one of the choices of faceplates they offer.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

https://shop.siriusxm.com/onyx-plus-vehicle.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing the RetroSound Long Beach in my 1969 Bug this week. Installation was pretty straight forward, even though I got 2 left side mounting brackets and no right side. As it turns out, it didn't really matter much in my case. I was able to mount the radio without any butchering of the OG radio opening, and I used the face plate from my original Saphire radio. Currently, I have 2 6x9 Rockford Fosgate speakers mounted in the rear parcel tray area. I also have 6" speakers and fibreglass kick panels that still need to be installed.
The menu for the radio is a bit wonky, and I'm still trying to learn the features. Once I got the radio paired to my phone, it automatically pairs every time that I turn on the radio. Sitting in the garage, the tunes sound okay in the bug, but I haven't taken her out for a true road test yet. I will mostly listen to music from iTunes on my phone via Bluetooth, but keep the volume low enough so I can still hear and feel the engine. I also have the mic installed, but haven't tried a hands free call yet.
Best of all - it looks pretty stock!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Retro sound radios? Reply with quote

I just Carry a nice Bluetooth speaker

I have 4 classic's

Spending money on one high quality speaker was more affordable than installing one stereo. This way I just move it from car to car, I also enjoy the sight of a clean dash and keeping wiring to a minimum.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: