Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

the one (biggest) issue with hydraulic brake switches is that
the one time you really jam on the brakes it pushes the internal contacts out further.
then after that panic moment, they need to be pushed hard each time.

as for brake upgrades.. larger is nice but ventilated is a MUST IMHO.
on my 80 (much heavier than a bay)ASI I have stock diam but ventilated rotors and fade is no longer a worry in the MTNs Monarch pass no biggie, wolf creek pass well I was headed east. Logan pass, no bigge, Teton pass no bigge..
prior to that would have puckered and been concerned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
I bought a couple mechanical brake light switches that someone posted about probably a couple years ago. They are still in their respective bus' totes. (Each Bus and the Thing have totes that I put parts and stuff in as I collect them to install. Sometimes parts sit in there for a while.)

Recall what their application was, or who made them? I've found a couple aftermarket ones that look pretty good, but still poking around.

This is what the person used in their thread. (Wish I could find it easily.)

As you can see, I really have no personal experience with them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Such a fantastic thread!!! Do you have a video clip? Very inspiring
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

PDX db wrote:
Such a fantastic thread!!! Do you have a video clip? Very inspiring

Thanks! I don't have many video clips, other than what is already in this thread. I need to get the go pro out and get some. Maybe next weekend during out trip up to TN to Circle Yer Wagons. Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Time for another update. This one will be mostly pic heavy, and less so on the narration. So if you like a good story along with your pics, sorry Laughing

Just got back from a long weekend trip that took our family of 6 up through north Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. We left out Saturday morning and headed north to Sevierville TN for a Saturday afternoon stop at Circle Yer Wagens 50. Left the show that afternoon and hopped over to Pigeon Forge for dinner and a hotel stay overnight. The next morning we poked around Pigeon Forge for about half the day, and then headed south to go run the Tail of the Dragon/US129, ultimately wandering all through the smokies into North Carolina, and eventually back home. ~425 miles total on the trip, with not so much as a hiccup from the subaru swap running everything from tight 2 lane back road twisties, to 80mph freeway jaunts. The cooling system has been absolutely flawless since the last updates. This thing is 100% sorted. On to pics and cliff notes!

The only real prep I did to the Bus before the trip was an oil change before (it was time), and I bumped up the tire pressure up a few psi since I knew we were going to be loaded down. Got it all washed and cleaned up on Thursday after work, and then packed it up Friday night for an early roll out on Saturday. Just lightly drug the pack-n-play on the garage door opening rolling it out of the shop. I can only tolerate a few extra inches of height above the rack and still make it in/out of the shop. That said, the rack came in SUPER handy by getting the chairs, pack-n-play, stroller and other bulky stuff out of the cabin.

The driving all weekend was just stellar. Couldn't ask for better roads and views in my opinion. The unusual heat wave that has been sitting down in the south east this past week finally broke right before the weekend, and temps were back to their more normall pre-fall cool levels. Absolutely perfect for driving without AC.

Check out the angle of the monkey hanging on to the rear view Laughing

We didn't spend all our time out driving in the woods though. Here we were standing out in a parking lot full of boring cars at the Titanic museum in Pigeon Forge Razz

One of the highlights of the trip (for me anyways) was running the Tail of the Dragon, which is an 11 mile long section of US129 at the TN/NC boarder that boasts a staggering 318 turns. This is a big time motorcycling road, but also a big car enthusiast/drivers road. I've known about it since my motorcycling days back in college, but have never been anywhere near it before where I could drive it, that is until moving out east this past year. Since we were going to be right in the area on this trip, I thought it would be a good adventure to go drive down it on the way back. Everyone had a blast. Such a simple thing, but memories were made. The kiddos loved seeing the other cars and motorcycles, along with all the dragon statues and signs all over.

As for the drive itself, we ultimately ran the dragon "backwards", coming in from the TN side down into NC. Fortunately it wasn't too terribly crowded on Sunday, so I only had to pull off the road just a few times to let the faster bikes and cars filter past me. This place is big on driving etiquette, making sure to let faster vehicles pass, driving within your limits, and ABOSOLTUELY staying within your lane. There is a lot of online shaming of those who violate these things. The trip down the dragon was a blast though. Mostly all 2nd gear, powering out of corners and tight turns, and then engine braking into the next. There were a few jaunts in 3rd, but the road was so tight that it mostly kept me in 2nd the majority of the time. Obviously the Bus has it limits as far as handling goes (still don't have my narrowed sway bar yet Evil or Very Mad ), but all in all it did really well considering. I pushed it as hard as it would let me, with my limit indicator being the front tires rubbing the wheel wells Laughing Lots of thumbs ups and waves from all the other road goers. We must have been quite the site throwing the old Bus through the twisties, with a roof rack loaded, and 4 kiddos in the back Cool

One of the coolest things about this road is that it is so popular, that there are three different small businesses that have full time photographers out on the road taking pictures of EVERY SINGLE car/truck/motorcycle that passes through. So when they upload the pics at the end of everyday, you can go look yourself up by time/date and buy some really awesome pics of your ride. I bought from both Killboy.com (the original dragon photographer), and 129Slayer.com They both got some really great shots of us out on the road. Here are some of my favorites

From 129Slayer:

From Killboy:

Coming in hot!

All I got for now. Got some good go-pro video of the dragon I'll eventually edit and post up. Hope yall enjoy the pics even a fraction as much as we enjoyed our trip.

GO DRIVE THEM!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

That thing looks like a blast to drive! Love how it tucks down really nice in the twisties! Not many vehicles out there that can have stuff on the roof , kids inside and power through corners like that.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

panel wrote:
That thing looks like a blast to drive! Love how it tucks down really nice in the twisties! Not many vehicles out there that can have stuff on the roof , kids inside and power through corners like that.

It is a blast to drive! The swap on this thing made it a whole new machine, and just way more usable and drama free. Not saying that you can't drive them all over with the old T4, as many folks did for years, and even still do. But this thing now pretty well behaves just like any of my other normal/daily driver cars. Just jump in, turn the key, and go. Hard to beat.

And your right, there aren't too many classic cars around that can be packed with the whole family and gear, and be driven like this thing can. Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

That is a seriously great looking bus!

Great thread - looking forward to doing a swap someday here, too.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

You stated that you were pushing it to its limit, but I see all 4 tires on the ground.

lol I'm glad you were being safe, and thanks for sharing your vacation with us. Laughing
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

VDN,
Those pics say it all!

To all those haters Subaru motors are more connected to our buses than you know.. it's in the name really...

"Subaru spelled backwards is U-R-A-BUS. That's cheesy but made me laugh (kinda of).

Good work VeeDub!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
That is a seriously great looking bus!

Great thread - looking forward to doing a swap someday here, too.

Thanks cmonSTART!

This has been one of the most enjoyable builds I've ever done. I think its been so satisfying because I had it dreamed up very specifically in my mind for years before I ever got the bus and started building it, I was able to build it out my idea to the tee, and the end results have pretty well exceeded my expectations.

I can't think of anything I'd really change. Is it perfect? No. What is?

But man is it goooood Twisted Evil

Spike0180 wrote:
You stated that you were pushing it to its limit, but I see all 4 tires on the ground.

lol I'm glad you were being safe, and thanks for sharing your vacation with us. Laughing

Laughing Laughing well, I could only go so fast before momma started protesting! "You're not trying to keep up with those motorcycles are you???" Laughing Laughing

Convoy wrote:
VDN,
Those pics say it all!

Good work VeeDub!

Indeed! Thanks Convoy!

67 Beetle (TBD)

stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Awesome pics from the weekend. Love this thread!

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
still don't have my narrowed sway bar yet

I think you mentioned finding an overseas company that offers a narrowed sway bar? No developments with that?
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

stevespeirs wrote:
Awesome pics from the weekend. Love this thread!

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
still don't have my narrowed sway bar yet

I think you mentioned finding an overseas company that offers a narrowed sway bar? No developments with that?

Thanks Steve!

re: sway bar

Yea, I did originally find a company in France that makes a -8cm bar (~3.2"). Not exactly the 4" narrowed that I need, but probably close enough to brute force it on. But, in addition to it not truly being the correct width, it also appeared to just be stock diameter, and I was really wanting a thicker OD bar to get as much anti-roll as I could. My performance level targets are kind of high LOL. All the normal HD sway bars available in the aftermarket are 7/8" diameter, which was what I was hoping I could get a narrowed one in as well (knowing that it would be even stiffer being shorter). So ultimately I never moved on the overseas one.

Instead, I finally identified a US based company that makes sway bars and was actually willing to make me a 7/8 dia narrowed bar patterned off the standard Bus bar. The big problem though has been getting them to actually get the bar made. Various delays from their side, and what I assume is probably my request being lower priority than normal stock items has kept me back in line. That said, just this afternoon actually I was told that the bar was going into production. So fingers crossed!!!

For anyone else reading that would be interested in a narrowed bar, my plan is to buy this one and test it, and then likely buy a small batch to resell. I personally feel like there is a big hole in the market stateside for this. There are A LOT of Buses running around with 4" beams without sway bars. Seems silly to dump that kind of money in suspension and not get the best possible handling out of it too. PM me if you have interest in one.

67 Beetle (TBD)

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

nice!

are you working with addco? they are a pain in the tic tacs to work with, but will get it done.

I have seen so many bus builds in my life but honestly your bus nails it. I overbuilt my deluxe because I had to...but your bus is probably the only build I have seen and thought...fuck....I want that bus.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just wanted to pop in real quick and post this up. Made a quick excerpt video of our trip down the Tail of the Dragon. Crank up the volume and listen to that EJ25 growl Twisted Evil (never mind our commentary on if anyone is getting car sick Laughing Laughing )

Link

67 Beetle (TBD)

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Shocked

That video makes me want to do bad things to my Bus....
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Awesome video Smile

Love the thread, its just added to the decision that for us, an EJ20 in our westy is the right way to go!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
daninvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

If I had any hesitation to do a swap in my 71, it is now thoroughly gone.
I always enjoy your posts and updates. I will shamelessly copy your approach and methods on my Westy.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Shocked

That video makes me want to do bad things to my Bus....

Come on in, the water is fine! Laughing

MorkC68 wrote:
Awesome video Smile

Love the thread, its just added to the decision that for us, an EJ20 in our westy is the right way to go!

Thanks for the comments! I'm sure you'll love the EJ in your Westy. If done right, it completely transforms the Bus.

daninvan wrote:
If I had any hesitation to do a swap in my 71, it is now thoroughly gone.
I always enjoy your posts and updates. I will shamelessly copy your approach and methods on my Westy.

Laughing Thanks for the comments! Glad you (and others) are enjoying this thread.

Copy away anything you see. I'm a big proponent of sharing info and ideas on stuff like this. Everyone sees things through a different perspective, and sometimes really great ideas come through comparison and discussion. A lot of what I did was stuff I came up with on my own, but there were certainly parts that were clearly inspired by other swaps and threads I've read.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I have seen so many bus builds in my life but honestly your bus nails it. I overbuilt my deluxe because I had to...but your bus is probably the only build I have seen and thought...fuck....I want that bus.

Thanks man! I consider that a huge compliment considering the level of work you do.

I really love the way this thing has turned out. To me, it's just about the perfect driver Bus. Zero hesitation to take it anywhere. Don't have to worry about all the normal issues of a 50 year old powertrain design, nor do I have to be careful about where I take it and park it, or letting the kids play and run around it.

I really love seeing those full restored and painted beauties, but this thing is way less stressful Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 22

Jump to: