Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Metal ones. You can smear anything you want on there. They work fine without anything on them. Just be sure the endcasting is flat. You can take a Mill file and lightly pull it across the surface to see if it is flat. If it is flat, install it to spec. If not, file it flat with that Mill file, slowly, full drags across the entire surface, very light pressure. And do not get impatient.

Use the 13mm steel on the intake and the 12mm on the exhaust. Toyota, Nissan and most Japanese import cars have 12mm steel nuts if you want a smaller size nut on there. But whatever you do, use a wavy washer between the bearing surface and the nut!

Looking good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Jimbo, you don't use wavy washers on the exhaust, correct? Only on the intake?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Jimbo, you don't use wavy washers on the exhaust, correct? Only on the intake?

On both. I use washers almost everywhere. They distribute force!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Another WTF moment. This happened tightening down the intake. I think I have a massive vacuum leak.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The center section of the intake is not the one that this motor came with but one I had bought a while back with clean risers. With the manifold assembled and bolted down, the center manifold hold down case bolt was obscured, insufficient threads to attach the hold down nut. So I loosened the intake to center the center piece by tightening the center nut, then tightened down the head intake casting and POP.

This is a first but in keeping with my learn by taking lumps. Rolling Eyes

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

That totally sucks!

Vacuum is only produced when the engine is runnng.

Okay. I have NEVER seen that happen before. DAMN!!!!

Sorry man. Take it to a local welder and have them Helier cit back together. Second thought, it may be cheaper to buy a used one.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Crisis averted. I picked up a replacement passenger-side intake casting from a VW guy out in Ft. Belvoir. This time I was much more careful fitting everything and got it installed correctly and w/out breaking anything. No pics though. I also picked up a couple of pieces of the sled tin in better shape than mine, cleaned them up and painted them. I'll install them tomorrow after work.

I have a follow-up question about this though - should I pick up all new intake manifold gaskets or am I ok w/the ones I used to install the intake on my 1st attempt....? Since I still have the engine out....

Then did my last bit of metal work on the car...as far as I know...Fabbed a bracket for the charcoal canister. Hopefully it will hold once everything's connected. Felt pretty sturdy to me. Next I have to pick up a donor canister from the FLAPS to replace the charcoal in this one, and drill a hole through the fender panel into the engine bay for the hose that goes from the top right of the shroud to the canister.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
This is a first but in keeping with my learn by taking lumps. Rolling Eyes

I've "learned" a lot through mistakes I've made. Whether I break something or buy some crappy part that I have to spend good money after bad to replace ... I always hearken back to this undeniable fact ...

"It's still cheaper than paying someone else to do it" Anxious

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Engine is ready to go into the car. Just need to finish cleaning up the heat exchangers. Shroud is on, flaps operating freely. I did have to remove the alternator after installing it because the fan was rubbing. It must have been rubbing when I got the car because I had never separated it from the alternator. Turns out there were no shims between the hub and the fan. Fixed that, gapped to .028 and installed NGK plugs, and installed the new PVL wires and Bosch coil.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Did a bit of heat exchanger "repair" today. I'd like to use original German ones rather than the cheap aftermarket ones that the car came with. As usual...not pretty welds by any means but they hold! The clumpy welds along the seam are where I put the 2 halves back together a few months back. I had split it open to see if the manifold itself had any holes. It did not.

I also picked up this steering wheel which I thought was from a Sun Bug. It's in nice shape, but it's for the skinny mount end steering shaft and mine has the fat splines like my '74. I thought '73s had the skinny steering column. Perhaps this one was replaced at some point?

And I've come to an "executive decision" about my motor (they're all executive decisions aren't they?). I'm going to install it in my '74 DD. What the hell. I'm still a ways away from getting this '73 on the road, but the engine is ready to go. If it's a success, I'll rebuild the '74 engine and drop it in this one!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I like the way you roll!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Keep up the good work!

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo and Brian. I'm humbled you and others are still following along! Very Happy

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Victor, you can get good money for that I’ll-fitting steering wheel. Or, maybe someone will trade you outright

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Tim, I will likely sell it, although I may keep the "fancy" horn button for this car. We'll see...

Small progress today. Steps forward, steps backward. First I removed and cleaned and lubed the driver-side door regulator, and installed the outer window scraper w/the aluminum trim. I'm getting good at that, it took me 5 minutes to get it in place w/out damaging it or the door paint. Still waiting for the inner scrapers to arrive from WCM.

I also r&r'd the heater levers, replaced the plastic washers in their mechanism, and the rear footwell and heat exchanger cables.

I also replaced the rear soft brake line. The ones that were on there looked good from the outside, but this car's been sitting for over three years at this point and I had a set in the stash so that's done. I also installed the rear engine compartment seal using one that came w/the car's parts stash. It's a shit Brazilian one that's about an inch short of fully sealing the compartment on the passenger side.

Short. I have another cheapo seal that also came w/the car - not sure why the guy had two of them - so I'll cut a piece from that to fill in this space.

Then I figured I'd fill in the brake reservoir to begin the process of adjusting and bleeding the brakes, since I'm at this point. I filled the reservoir, then went to the pedal and gave it a couple of pushes w/my hand, and immediately heard some gurgling that didn't sound right. Found this:

Upon closer inspection, it appears to be leaking from the base of the white plastic "nozzle" that comes out of the rear circuit and attaches to the blue line going up to the reservoir.

[EDIT]

Looks like I damaged the tube when trying to twist the blue hose on. Trashed is more like it.

Seems to me I'm looking at an R & R of the MC to fix this as the space is impossible to work in and get any leverage, or an outright replacement of the MC.

What do you guys think?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

It is possible to install those with the master in the car. Use some brake fluid on the rubber, or some light weight oil, to make it slippery. Then twist and push the nipple into the rubber. It will go.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Fortunately, I remembered that I have a spare MC in my parts stash as a parts donor, for a standard, which I bought back when I still had my '64. That car had been converted to a later dual-circuit MC. I have just the thing to slip it in - red brake rubber grease. I'll tackle that in the next day or two.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Hey Victor just popping into Samba to check your thread and that engine looks great. I can't wait to hear it run when you post the first-start video. My engine in the 72 Super has followed me to another bug for the end of the season here (since the Super is still on jacks) and its like riding with a friend. Enjoy the sound of it in your DD! Wishing you soft rubber on the MC, that's a tight space for me to get up into but you'll do it. Lots of attention to detail on your build. Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Hey Buggee long time no-see! Yeah puttsin' along here, at what seems like a nut and washer a day. Lot's more attention to detail than I had anticipated, that's for damn sure! Shocked Very Happy

Speaking of...I was able to replace the MC fitting without any skinned knuckles or breaking anything else. Woohoo!!!! And filled the reservoir, pressed the pedal, no leaks. Ah the small victories.

Also received and installed the inner window scrapers from WCM. Tomorrow's job will be to install the felt guides and maybe - *gulp* - the vent wings!!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Progress! Looking good, Victor.

Looking at your steering wheel: I've been looking for one of those for my own SB. I'd offer to buy yours, but I think I'd have the same fitment problem you are seeing.

-JG
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Progress! Looking good, Victor.

Looking at your steering wheel: I've been looking for one of those for my own SB. I'd offer to buy yours, but I think I'd have the same fitment problem you are seeing.

-JG

Thanks JG. what is the diameter of your steering column at the splines?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 51

Jump to: