Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speakers in rear quarter cards?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Does anyone know if the flat ready-made back speaker shelves fit well? I tried the two-tier type before and it had obvious gaps in the rear. So I thought the flat type might fit better.

Tim

I have the flat speaker shelf mount thingy in my '66. It fits good. Also serves as another level of insulation against engine noise. Here's a picture of it from when I first bought the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

That looks like a good fit--a lot better than the fancy one I got last year--and sent back.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

I got some of the front kick panel things and speakers from crutchfield, like in cussers first picture, they hold 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" speakers.

I have speakers in the door panels, but I want to get new unmolested panels and leave them that way.

I'm hesitant to give up my luggage space under the rear window, but I do want a second pair of speakers, so I'm thinking of putting another pair of 6 1/2" speakers on the panels under the rear seat.

I haven't installed the panels yet, but I don't think I'll be carpeting them.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

Tim,
Here's a couple of pictures I have of my set up in my 69. I got the tray from jbugs and it was covered to match my panels. I did have to cut the holes so they would fit the Alpine 6x9 speakers. I used L brackets with a bit of velcro on the top and on the speaker panel to hold together and I just layed it on the metal edge of the back seat. Again, along the seat edge I have velcro to hold it in place. I don't ever fold the seat down so my set up works for me. If you still want the seat to go down I would put two legs (or even 4 if you don't want to screw L brackets into the firewall) on it.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

^^^^ same exact thing I did with mine. I never fold my rear seat down or use the space behind the seat so it works for me.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

With an "infinite baffle" design like that rear shelf- you don't have to drill the car at all. Just construct a box that almost fills the void- with a top panel that duplicates the shape of a rear shelf. You can loosely fill the box with fiberglass insulation or use spray sound deadener and the result should sound better than any floating shelf.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

Well, unless I get a much smaller battery, I can't fit a speaker on the panel facing forward from the seat on the battery side. I may need to give up my luggage space, but then I can go with 6x9's.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

As per the photos aboove, I got myself a hardwood "shelf" with a lip on the one side, screwed the speakers into that and left the carpet material on the other side, secured it with some hinges and mounted that behind the rear seat.

I did this so I can still put things behind there as well as nobody being able to see that there is sound in the car (avoiding theft).

All in all this took up about 5 inches of depth and nobody even knows they are there.
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

I'm going to make whatever I put back there, so I may just do something similar....

Good idea!

Suck it up, Buttercup!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

I have 5 1/4" in the rear kick panels in several of our cars. They just mount closer to the tunnel. You DO need to beef up the panel a little though. I front mount the speakers and use a 1/4" plywood ring on the backside so the machine screws have something a little more substantial to hold to.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

I had some fairly stout pegboard so I made a riser in the back luggage space (thanks for the idea Chris) and mounted some 6x9" speakers on the underside without cutting a hole in the pegboard. I do think I'll drill some extra holes in it above the speakers.

I didn't find any of that carpet to cover it, but I found a roll of the black perforated liner stuff for tool box drawers and it looks pretty nice.

I still have some final fitting and clean up but it's looking pretty good so far.

And I only gave up about 4-5" depth of luggage space.

Suck it up, Buttercup!
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

6x9's

6.5's

Suck it up, Buttercup!
Beahr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

Hello all....

I get the idea on the quarter panels, and I'm thinking on putting some Kenwoods back there.
The front panels just get so messed up after installing speakers there. know that there are some modifications I will need to do on the quarter panels.
My question is, where from the radio to the quarter panels do I run the speaker wire though the inside?
Thanks!!!
Beahr
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

Here's what I just made it can be facing up or forward. I am removing seat and building level platform. It's easier for my pooches to ride that way.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

Long ago I had installed a set of 4x6 speakers into my rear panels where the ashtrays were located.

To deal with the depth issue I cut a piece of 1/2" press board into a shape that looked nice for the space. I then routed out the depth of the speaker basket so that when I installed the speakers they would sit flush with the top of the wood.
The speaker grill then went on for a pretty clean look.

I do not have any photos of it as they were all buried in Photobucket.

It worked quite well with the rest of the stereo in the car until the speakers blew, then I just replaced the panels with stock ones.

Behind the panels I used some contact cement to glue sound deadening to the inside of the body, that makes a ton of difference in the amount of noise coming through the body of the car.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers in rear quarter cards? Reply with quote

Hello, I read most of the thread earlier and did not see this input and now just applying it here..

My Super came with Speaks in the Rear Quarter Panels when I got it. One had a grill slightly popping off. They are slipped in lets say into a groove of the speakers.

Thing is I found out why quick. They only have like a 3/8" to 1/2" seating left on the panel meaning not flat, but stick out that much.

And when taking the rear seat in and out accessing the battery plus other doo-dads under the seat, now I think both speaks left and right are missing grills..

They simply are to snug getting the rear lower seat out, thus hit the ends of it when getting it out or back in..

Something to think about... RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: