Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle fluid change
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

What is the best method to get the new fluid in? Does the pump/bottle stay on the floor? I plan on just routing the tube to the full hole with the car on the ground. This is how i had topped it off when I bought it. The fill plug comes out readily, so I can go ahead and take the drain out. Anything else I should know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

its going to over flow so just be prepared, that's how you know the level....

you can remove the left side wheel to get better access but level the car off so the level is correct.

you can get a long pipe and funnel and do it from the side of the car stood up and just add it till it runs out then get the plug back in.... that may be easier......

or if you have a little fluid pump they will be good too.....
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

What we use use the cheap manual $5 fluid pump from Harbor Freight. We just had one crap out, but that was after doing a dozen or more trannys. Otherwise, we used to use a hose on the bottle spout and squeeze it in until it starts to overflow.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

I changed mine this past spring. Took the left rear wheel off and ran a clear tube through the wheel well to the fill hole, then stuck a funnel on the other end and clamped it to a ladder next to the car at a level well above the fill hole. Then poured the tranny fluid into the funnel until it started seeping out of the fill hole. Probably not the fastest way to do it but probably the easiest if you're working by yourself.
d2305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

You can buy a funnel with a hose at the autoparts which did the job with minimal spillage. The gear oil I drained out was in terrible shape after 40 years.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

I’m a bit nervous to change it. I’ve read a couple threads here where people say they changed it and 2nd gear synchro went out right after they were “good owners”.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Cheap pump as stated works great.

Question is, what lube you going to use Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276529

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Valvoline 80w90
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

I think you have the process. I use this and it screws onto the oil bottle.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive...lsrc=aw.ds

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

I also have a pump that threads directly onto the gear oil container. I bent a short piece of copper tubing into a loop and secure that to the end of the plastic pump's tube with a hose clamp, so I can "hook" that into the fill hole and it stays.

With the container on the ground I can pump by myself from under the VW.

HINT: warm up the gear oil container in the sun or in the house overnight so it will be less viscous and easier to pump in.

HINT 2: ALWAYS loosen the fill plug before you drain the old gear oil out.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Is there any negative to changing the oil out? I’ve heard stories where the transaxle develops problems after the change
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Is there any negative to changing the oil out? I’ve heard stories where the transaxle develops problems after the change

If you’ve already read/heard negative stories then I suppose you know the answer Wink NOW GO OUT THERE AND CHANGE THAT OIL Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

It is not true. Changing gear oil can not break anything.

Dude if your mainshaft bearing are worn out changing gear oil will not fix it either.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

HINT: warm up the gear oil container in the sun or in the house overnight so it will be less viscous and easier to pump in.

THIS!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Frodge wrote:

It is not true. Changing gear oil can not break anything.

Dude if your mainshaft bearing are worn out changing gear oil will not fix it either.

X2. Any damages inside, before this oil change, have taken place already. If anything you are helping.

I think there are a few stories, of uneducated individuals that have drained their oil and pumped in the wrong stuff. AND then blamed it on changing the oil. That is a fool drawing conclusions from an uneducated position.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

How is super tech 80w90 gl5
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Why go to all the hassle with pumps and things when this is available.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Is the valvoline 80w90 that has the limited slip sign on the bottle ok? It says for gl4 gl5 application non synchro
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

One reason for failure after a change of oil could be due to the fact that it takes a long time for the oil to spread throughout the transaxle. So, fill it until it spills over. Come back 24 hours later and it might take another quart. But if you fail to check again and just drive off. Then your oil level will be low. Warning the oil in advance as mentioned above helps minimize this problem, but I would still check again after 24 hours.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle fluid change Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Warning the oil in advance as mentioned above helps minimize this problem, but I would still check again after 24 hours.

Never warn the oil that it is going to lube a 40 yr old tranny. I mean would you knowingly lube a 40 yr old *tranny*?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: